When I first discovered kink and BDSM, there was a lot that surprised me. The amount of people who were into it. The bad information. The fetishes that involved bodily fluids including but not limited to urine, sweat, poop, and blood. Why so many kinksters love Halloween....
Entering the kink community is a bit of an eye-opener
Imagine my surprise when I went to my first BDSM Halloween party. The sleepy little dungeon that I loved so much, the one that houses 20 people comfortably, overflowed that night. There were kinksters on every piece of dungeon equipment. All the chairs in the social area were filled. A few people were sitting on laps. Plenty of subs were on the floor by their Dominants’ feet. People were standing everywhere, and those who couldn’t fit inside poured into the parking lot.
Halloween was the night for the local kinksters. People who hadn’t been out in months were dressed up and ready to party.
Why do kinksters love Halloween so much? I’ve got a few ideas:
- We don’t have to buy a costume. Pull out some fetish gear or one of your roleplay costumes and you’re ready to go!
- All black, purple lipstick, and dark eye make-up. You’re not goth, but you are ready for the fetish party.
- No one blinks at all the leather or the latex. It’s hard to explain a latex bodysuit on any other night of the year.
- No one is going to question the crop or the bullwhip. And if they do, tell them you’re the Dungeon Master. They’ll think “medieval times” but you’ll know that the house safeword is “red.”
- Wanting to be a kitten or puppy isn’t “weird” to anyone. In fact, it’s adorable, and everyone wants to pet you and touch your tail.
- Being lead on a leash only gets a couple of weird looks.
Kinksters love Halloween because:
- One word: corsets.
- Another word: fishnets.
- No one understands why you’re wearing a collar but on Halloween, they’re less likely to ask about it.
- You don’t have to change from street clothes to your fetish gear when you get to the BDSM party or club.
- The footie pajamas, sippy cup, and crayons are all part of your “costume.” Wink, wink.
- On any other night, your dominatrix act would freak out the random vanilla guy, but tonight, it’s all part of the fun.
- When in doubt, tell your very vanilla friends you’re Christian and Anastasia from 50 Shades of Grey. They’ll blush and laugh, but they won’t question it.
- Dressing up is fun any time of year but at least on Halloween, it’s socially acceptable when you go out to dinner.
- When you look hungover after the party, everyone will think it was the booze. They’ll never suspect sub/top space.
- No one cares how much of your boobs or ass hangs out of the costume. Just call yourself “sexy” whatever - sexy schoolgirl, sexy goth, sexy nurse.
- For once, even in our craziest fetish gear, we blend right in!
- And if you just wear jeans and a t-shirt or whatever you’re comfortable in, none of your kinky friends will ask why you aren’t wearing a costume.
I never have been the type to wear a Halloween costume. It’s not my thing, but give me the crazy heels, a corset, and some fishnet stockings, and I’m ready to have a good time at a kinky Halloween party. Best of all, no one gives me weird looks when I leave the house in my “costume.”
Kayla Lords is a freelance writer, sex blogger, and a masochistic babygirl living the 24/7 D/s life. Follow her on her website or on Twitter @Kaylalords.