Ropes

S2842

Posted

Looking for advice on using ropes and restraints. Never done before and want to do it safely

Posted
There are classes and workshops in most cities. I highly recommend going to some!
Posted

there are a whole bunch of books 

Two Knotty Boys also have a bunch of tutorials on youtube

and I second workshops - it's Rope Peer Workshops you're usually looking for.

But in short - get good quality rope with a little bit friction, but not too much it'll burn.

Actually learn ties rather than wing it, so you can't make anything that will slip and *** someone or cut off circulation

always carry safety scissors

don't leave anyone with arms (or legs) raised too long

never leave someone restrained alone

when releasing someone there may be a rush of ***, they may be dizzy, having tea/coffee and sugary snacks to hand are advisable.

My list is by no means exhaustible. 

• 4 months later...
Posted

Attending rope workshops and peer rope groups is a must as is learning basic anatomy. Nerve damage is a real possibility when using rope as a restraint so learning where not to tie is as important as learning how to tie

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi, it must be Heaven to live in a liberated city, where there  are such things as classes and workshops.  Where I live finding a class on life-saving  would be futile. 

Posted
2 hours ago, John842 said:

Hi, it must be Heaven to live in a liberated city, where there  are such things as classes and workshops.  Where I live finding a class on life-saving  would be futile. 

Your profile says you are in chesterfield, 13 miles from there is Sheffield rope labs

Posted

Personally I have never been to a rope workshop, I would like to but, they are nearly always at a time and place inconvenient for my work pattern. 

The two Knotty boys media is good though and there are a stack of videos on YouTube and such these days. Twisted Monk, Midori and more. 

As with most things, communication is key, keep asking the person you're tying how everything feels, don't gag until you're confident and even then use non verbal signals to highlight when things are wrong. 

Check for cold skin regularly and discolouration. 

Start simple; single column ties, double column ties etc. Leave suspension for the experts. 

Practice on yourself, allow yourself to be tied too, this will give you a better appreciation of how it feels. 

Use proper shears to cut free if ever needed, a knife may look cool in your head but when two parties are panicking shit can go from bad to worse quickly. 

I'd rather tie too loose than too tight, if a person gets out it may spoil the fun a bit, if it's too tight it could spoil the fun a great deal more. Have respect for the person you're tying.