world cup

Ma****

Posted
10 minutes ago, wilkie said:

well not long to find out, less than a week, A Belgium,England final would be good, but then again France England, of course Croatia could upset us, lets hope not, just maybe,it could come home, or maybe not, lol,see I've been around to long to make to many rash statement's.I'll shut up now. Unless,,,,,,,,,

Well i read that as you definitely saying that England will win the world cup ;)   

And you know what............   stranger things happen every day!

Posted
3 hours ago, callipygian said:

Like random fruit appearing in a picture 🤔 was that there before?

Posted

I kinda wonder a little bit what the views are from each of the remaining nations.

I know, for example, Russian fans are very happy because they expected to be humiliated in the groups and ended up taking two vastly superior teams to shoot outs in the knock outs.

But what kind of expectancy and optimism the other nations have.

I think there's a lot of now expectancy and a little hint of entitlement for England to succeed - and I feel this is a bit of a lose/lose.

Should they win the world cup, the rest of July and most of August will be written off in a bender.  And, although it's only been a small minority of idiots, plenty of beer flowing and unpleasantness despite winning.

Should they fail to win, I can't see it being a "well, we're proud, they played well and were beaten by a better team and just unlucky" that I think there'll be some form of crushing disappointment and knock on from there.

I think it's some of this overall expectancy why I've kinda failed to get into it.

That and, I guess, it'd probably feel bigger if we were beating Germany, Argentina (like France and Croatia) and Brazil (like Belgium) - instead of Sweden, Tunisia and Panama.

Posted
17 hours ago, callipygian said:

Well i read that as you definitely saying that England will win the world cup ;)   

yup, they sure do, even fruit in odd places although I spotted that ages ago, lol

Posted
15 hours ago, MsJax said:

Like random fruit appearing in a picture 🤔 was that there before?

I was born like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
13 hours ago, eyemblacksheep said:

I think there's a lot of now expectancy and a little hint of entitlement for England to succeed - and I feel this is a bit of a lose/lose.

Should they fail to win, I can't see it being a "well, we're proud, they played well and were beaten by a better team and just unlucky" that I think there'll be some form of crushing disappointment and knock on from there.

I think it's some of this overall expectancy why I've kinda failed to get into it.

Completely disagree with the above statements. 

There was no expectancy when this young new team/manager went to Russia. All would have loved just getting to a quarter final and treated that as a major success.

Guarantee they'll be 1/2 million people to welcome the team home, win or lose because the nation is proud of what they've achieved.

It's now 52 yrs of hurt and England fans completely stopped expecting.Thats why this world cup is such a surprise and if 'it comes home' it will be more or less treated as a ***y miracle.

If you've failed to get into it then leave the enjoyment to the rest of us who have, we've waited long enough and please please don't associate a few yobs as England fans because there not.

Posted (edited)

It has been an interesting  'change' in perception and expectancy at this World Cup (and I am focusing on England here)

I applaud the way Southgate and the 'set up'  have handled themselves - not sure how they have done it but they seem to have 'tamed' the crap media coverage we have had in the recent past.

As for the team - again i applaud their performances - unsure if they have become a 'v good' team  or if they are 'just'  having a good tournament - and quite frankly my dears... i couldn't give a shit. 

Maybe this is the way forward.  (unsure)

For me this has been World Cup with the least hype and occasion that I can remember - and I like that.

Edited by callipygian
Posted
4 hours ago, callipygian said:

4 hours ago, callipygian said:

now you're not showing off are you lol

Posted

***  NEWSFLASH ****

It is not coming home!!!!  (well not to this home anyhow - for the time being)

But best performance by an England footie squad at a tournament for absolutely fecking ages.  

Posted

well I guess the final was one step to far fir England, did well to get to semi,s should have took our chances in first half, credit to Croatia, they just looked that much more likely to win in second half,

now will we have to play Belgium again, will they play reserve players, will Harry win golden boot, France v Croatia, well still lots of questions to answer.

Posted

if England win today, it'll be their 2nd best placing at a WC.

in fact, even if they lose, it'll be joint 2nd best.

If Belgium win. it'll be their best ever WC placing

If Belgium lose, it'll be their joint best.

Croatia also on for their best ever placing regardless of result.

There's a lot of nations who can in theory go home quite pleased with their placings.

Posted

Golden Boot surely a shoe in for Kane.  Although the match could go either way subject to motivation, I can't see a Lukaku hat-trick.  Nor can I see either Mbappe or Greizmann getting 4 goals.

Posted

overall I thought it was a good world cup,plenty of good football, controversy, was var a hit or not, and Harry Kane won the golden boot, probably should have scored a couple more, but I can't complain about England finishing 4th, better than it could have been.