Respect

Tillysub

Posted

Respect;  

1.  a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others.

We often talk about respect in BDSM. But what does it mean to you? 

Obviously the meaning is different to different roles to a certain extent but there is an overarching value based model we can apply to all roles but do we? 

Reapect for me is multi-faceted. There is the respect I have for others, this is sometimes tested in the chatroom for example where Individuals will come in often looking for hook ups and pester people for this despite being advised to place a personal ad.

In general though, the respect I have for others centres around the encouragement of open communication; the acceptance of another persons standpoint or belief system even if it varies drastically from my own. This can be applied to my experience of the vanilla world also.

Respect is a cornerstone of a D/s dynamic. The Dom respects the subs limits, the sub respects the Doms rules and dominance. And so on and so forth.

my personal belief is that it shouldn’t be SSC but rather SSCR Safe, Sane, Consentual and Respectful.

What is respect to you?

Posted

I think you are spot on. Respect is about accepting that someone else can have a different perspective than yourself. It is about accepting what others say and not trying to second guess what they really mean. We are all different and waht is important to one person may not be to the next. Respect is to accept that and still be willing to have a dialogue and learn from one another