Tomboy vs. Girly Girl

Posted

For a college project, we dive into the psychology aspect which do men prefer? Tomboys or Girly Girls?  By that I mean:

Tomboys = Gets along better with men, jeans/t-shirts/shorts, dresses are evil! More outspoken, think of the typical very independent country woman who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty.  Makeup is iffy some wear it some don't. Can be seen as brash, harsh, etc. 

Girly Girl - Dresses, skirts, makeup! Prefers the friendship with women more!.  Mentality wise they don't mind getting their hands dirty but don't prefer it, like working on cars and what not.

I myself am a tomboy and a lot of men are attracted to that.....but I don't know why and well the materials don't really dive into this.  Could it be the nature of men to go with girly girls? Or do they care for the independence of tomboys? 

Posted
I would say somewhere between the two. "Girly girl" enough that I do not feel like I am talking to a guy, but tomboy enough that she can hold her own
Posted

I think it has the same issue that you have with any stereotype, which is that its very generalised. Although generalising has its benefits, uses and place in how you assess things, you don't get the specificity you might want. For example, you might consider sporty girls to be traditionally "tomboy-ish", but if they're playing a sport that's traditionally associated with women, eg. netball, you might consider it a girly-girl trait, but regardless, a woman playing netball may be every bit as aggressive, competitive, active and "tomboy-ish" as a woman playing football, which may be considered more "tomboy-ish" on face value.

I have girly-girl and tomboy-ish traits. I don't think people think any more about those traits than they do about whether they find me being a goth attractive- it's personal preference!

Posted
Honestly I don't look at the woman on the outside. I get to know the person. And YOU are so beautiful! I'm lucky to have met you!
Posted
On 5/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, ChiefNexus said:

Honestly I don't look at the woman on the outside. I get to know the person. And YOU are so beautiful! I'm lucky to have met you!

As am I to you

Sooren-1540
Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2019 at 9:30 PM, AlesaKS said:

For a college project, we dive into the psychology aspect which do men prefer? Tomboys or Girly Girls?  By that I mean:

Tomboys = Gets along better with men, jeans/t-shirts/shorts, dresses are evil! More outspoken, think of the typical very independent country woman who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty.  Makeup is iffy some wear it some don't. Can be seen as brash, harsh, etc. 

Girly Girl - Dresses, skirts, makeup! Prefers the friendship with women more!.  Mentality wise they don't mind getting their hands dirty but don't prefer it, like working on cars and what not.

I myself am a tomboy and a lot of men are attracted to that.....but I don't know why and well the materials don't really dive into this.  Could it be the nature of men to go with girly girls? Or do they care for the independence of tomboys? 

I do not think Tomboys  attractive to most men and in my experience men who are attracted to such women are twice as likely to be bisexual or homosexual or feminine.
In addition, Tomboys tend to have less feminine faces and this reduces their attractiveness because facial femininity is very attractive.

Edited by sooren
Posted
41 minutes ago, sooren said:

I do not think Tomboys  attractive to most men and in my experience men who are attracted to such women are twice as likely to be bisexual or homosexual or feminine.
In addition, Tomboys tend to have less feminine faces and this reduces their attractiveness because facial femininity is very attractive.

Well next time your car breaks down and you gotta spend 1600 to fix it don't come complaining to tomboys! You do know that more females, that can be actually very attractive, are becoming mechanics and even truckers!  Also btw some actresses are tomboys and they have a large following.  Tomboys can wear makeup and what not....if we offend you so much I am so sorry. My Master and my Sir are actually very attracted to me and ARE NOT bisexual.  Do not believe for a second that all of us can't be attractive because with the invention of makeup and decent looking clothes that are functional for tomboys..

Also a lot of men can be attracted to such girls as farm girls aka cowgirls.....which apparently you're not attracted to and I do apologize. Guess what they are? Tomboys! 

Guess you like dependent women that are on you for everything? No independence of their own? Well to each their own like I say.  Have a great night!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, sooren said:

You should have stopped after you said you aren't attracted to tomboys. The rest of your post is rediculous and made up. I am NOT bisexual, homosexual, or femenine.  I do support that community, but am not a part of it. Please do actual research before you decide to post your unproven opinions. My AlesaKS is very beautiful and sexy.

Edited by Deleted Member
Posted

I find it ironic that on a site like this where everyone  is supposed to be accepted for their individuality and celebrate it, that pigeon holing and categorising women is being discussed frankly. I wear make up, dye my hair blonde, wear heels etc, I am also very independent, form close friendships with both men and women, don't need a man to do anything for me and can hold my own in any given conversation or situation. I would not categorise myself as either girly girl or tom boy, just a self confident woman, happy in my own skin and not feeling the need to question why a man would find me attractive or not. Being attracted to someone can have so many variables, for instance you may find them attractive on their looks alone at first but when delving further this feeling could dissolve, and vice versa in the sense you may not find someone physically attractive in the first instance but this may change as you get to know someone. 

Posted

my personal view.

I'm definitely, definitely, straight

my preferences on appearance can vary from individuals. There's some I prefer a "girlie" look, some a "tomboy" look and some an "androgynous" look.  It kinda depends.  

And, to be honest. If I'm not attracted to 'you' then that is moot and it doesn't speak for all men.

I disagree with the concept above that men attracted to "tomboy" women are more likely to be bi or themselves femine - because otherwise, by that logic, wouldn't men attracted to "girlie" women be attracted the feminine looking men?!

Posted
3 hours ago, eyemblacksheep said:

my personal view.

I'm definitely, definitely, straight

my preferences on appearance can vary from individuals. There's some I prefer a "girlie" look, some a "tomboy" look and some an "androgynous" look.  It kinda depends.  

And, to be honest. If I'm not attracted to 'you' then that is moot and it doesn't speak for all men.

I disagree with the concept above that men attracted to "tomboy" women are more likely to be bi or themselves femine - because otherwise, by that logic, wouldn't men attracted to "girlie" women be attracted the feminine looking men?!

Thank you for your respect. I truly appreciate your honesty.

Posted

personally, I don't know what the pattern is to who/what I do and don't find attractive - but in the past there has been assorted fashions and styles I've, for whatever reason, liked - stripey tights, hair fringe a different colour to the rest of the hair - and I do quite like undercuts which are currently common in AFAB/femme-presenting/androgyny  

Posted

I prefer the girly-girl "look" but I think I would probably relate better to the "tomboy" and much better to the "geekgirl". Having said that I have to admit that on occasions I have seen women that are "none of the above" who I found intriguing. One of the most amazing women I ever knew was a Wiccan who really was more of a matriachal mother figure. She fitted no stereotype that I had encountered before but she made me question my own outlook way back when.