Favorite music

Posted

I was brought up to listen to ray Charles, the rat pack, nat king Cole although I didn't  appreciate  until I  was older

I enjoy a lot of music I have a very eclectic  taste depends on my mood

But my ultimate favorites are blues, bluesgrass, and heavy rock.

What's  yours?

Carnelian2
Posted

It depends on the mood; I grew up on Santana, Manfred Man's Earth Band, Supertramp, Donna Summer, Deep Purpole, ACDC and a whole raft of music.

Lately I have been listening to the Latin-American music incl. Salsa - and I have just listened to Christina Aguilera "Fall in line", which is brilliant

Posted

I love the soundtrack to dirty dancing 2 

There was this place in Calgary I use to go to salsa dance

Posted

Funny cos the first song I heard on a lp player was ray Charles hit the Road jack 😊..

classical, jazz, then first album the pink floyd, then The Clash!! 

Posted

Grew up with 70s rock - Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Rory Gallagher, Ten Years After... 

Also 70s am radio hits - Bread, Chicago, Carpenters... 

Tastes have expanded and evolved over the years. I currently adore The Mountain Goats, Bing And Ruth, LCD Soundsystem, Benjamin Booker... I still listen to the Kinks, Ramones, Rolling Stones and at least 100 other artists. 

I took my 14 year old to Green Day a couple years ago and they instantly became her favorite band so I have a big soft spot for them. The last show we went to was Hugh Jackman as she is hugely into musical theater. It was an amazing experience for both of us and the friend she got to take. 

Posted
I grew up with the music of my parents 60s and 70s and my older *** blasting the 80s, steppenwolf, queen, nat king Cole, gene pitney etc but I found the blues and soul myself in later years. Funny as my dad when he hit 65 used to drive round listening to the latest NOW hits CD blasting lol always got some good looks
Posted (edited)

I also grew up on 70's and 80's rock/punk so from the likes of kiss, Def leopard, black Sabbath, t-rex, Billy Idol, the clash ect ect to the likes of Elvis and the Beatles. 

My tastes have changed over the years but always a rock and punk chick at heart, as I was a dancer for years I listened to a lot of rnb and pop music but my all time favourite artist now is lady gaga she is my queen 😍 hence my profile name on here. But for now I pretty much will listen to anything.

Edited by Lilmonster
Posted

I’m a child of the 60’s ✌️

Obsessed Beatles fan since I was about 12 (please don’t work out how long ago that was😂) love The Hollies, ***s, The Who, Mamas and Papas etc, anything out of the 1960’s but I like all kinds of music really depending on my mood. Anything from Michael Buble to Pink, Ed Sheeran, Louis Capaldi and Dolly Parton, ABBA, The Osmonds (I remember when Puppy Love came out and I rushed out and bought the 45 single 😂😂) to Genesis (Phil Collins days). My clubbing days were the 80’s so a lot of spandau ballet, ultravox, eurythmics, wham, Human league etc

Music is a wonderful thing, it brings back memories, can make you happy, sad and gets you singing at the top of your voice whether you’re any good or not 🎤🎧🎼

Posted
11 hours ago, FabSeverus said:

Funny cos the first song I heard on a lp player was ray Charles hit the Road jack 😊..

classical, jazz, then first album the pink floyd, then The Clash!! 

Good taste

Posted
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, Queenie63 said:

I’m a child of the 60’s ✌️

Obsessed Beatles fan since I was about 12 (please don’t work out how long ago that was😂) love The Hollies, ***s, The Who, Mamas and Papas etc, anything out of the 1960’s but I like all kinds of music really depending on my mood. Anything from Michael Buble to Pink, Ed Sheeran, Louis Capaldi and Dolly Parton, ABBA, The Osmonds (I remember when Puppy Love came out and I rushed out and bought the 45 single 😂😂) to Genesis (Phil Collins days). My clubbing days were the 80’s so a lot of spandau ballet, ultravox, eurythmics, wham, Human league etc

Music is a wonderful thing, it brings back memories, can make you happy, sad and gets you singing at the top of your voice whether you’re any good or not 🎤🎧🎼

I know how long ago that was,,,, cos I'm older, lol and as for Ed Sheeran, ok but played to death on the radio,

Posted

My tastes are extremely broad too. As a child my home influences from my Dad tended to be artists such as Roxy Music, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Billy Joel, Don McLean, The Beautiful South. My mother and I listed to artists like Gilbert O'Sullivan, Clifford T Ward, Leo Sayer, SBQ. From my uncle I learned more about REM, Judas Priest and such. Those influences carried forward into my adult life - I love going to gigs and saw Roxy Music, The Eagles and The Beautiful South in the 00s, whilst this year I've seen Mark Knopfler and Leo Sayer.

In my early ***s I loved all the techno music which was around (2 Unlimited, Maxx etc). When I hit the age of around 16 I had the revelation that it didn't make sense for whole genres of music to be "bad". Sure I didn't like jazz back then, but maybe I had only heard the wrong jazz, the jazz which didn't work for me? So I went out and explored, pushed my limits as far as I was able. Bought new, random music wherever I could. I soon found my favourites in each style. My favourite jazz musician has to be Louis Armstrong, although I love Louis Prima too. I got into Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Joshua Redman. For country music I fell for the distinctive twang of Willie Nelson, and later Johnny Cash and Lonestar. Early Fleetwood Mac, The Peter Green Splinter Group, and B.B. King for blues. Soul music? Nina Simone all the way, although much of her music is jazz and blues too. Artists such as Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss/Union Station introduced me to bluegrass.  I loved it all.

My first love will always be rock and metal. I clicked with that most on my journey, and DJ'd it for a few years. From the 80s Dad-rock sound of REO Speedwagon back to the glorious prog-rock sound of Uriah Heep (who I also saw earlier this year - I always preferred them to Deep Purple), through Iron Maiden and the metal-core magic of Avenged Sevenfold's second album, aside to the folk-rock of the Levellers and rap-metal of Rage Against The Machine, goth-rock of the ***s Of Mercy, the punk rock of The Clash and much more besides, I had found my "sound".

I do musicals, I do soundtracks, I do classical. My absolute favourite artists? Barenaked Ladies, Walk Off The Earth, the Wagnerian rock of Jim Steinman. Choosing my best gigs ever would be hard (I could perhaps name 5), I've already got at least 4 more lined up for later this year.... hope that was insightful 😂

Posted

I like all sorts except jazz and drum n bass...

Some of my all time fave songs..

Purple Rain by Prince

Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen

Burn the World by Roy Harper

Chandelier by Sia

Goner by Twenty one Pilots

The Cave by Munford and sons

Slow Marching Band by Jethro Tull

Boys are back in town by Waterboys

Posted
1 hour ago, Aranhis said:

My tastes are extremely broad too. As a child my home influences from my Dad tended to be artists such as Roxy Music, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Billy Joel, Don McLean, The Beautiful South. My mother and I listed to artists like Gilbert O'Sullivan, Clifford T Ward, Leo Sayer, SBQ. From my uncle I learned more about REM, Judas Priest and such. Those influences carried forward into my adult life - I love going to gigs and saw Roxy Music, The Eagles and The Beautiful South in the 00s, whilst this year I've seen Mark Knopfler and Leo Sayer.

In my early ***s I loved all the techno music which was around (2 Unlimited, Maxx etc). When I hit the age of around 16 I had the revelation that it didn't make sense for whole genres of music to be "bad". Sure I didn't like jazz back then, but maybe I had only heard the wrong jazz, the jazz which didn't work for me? So I went out and explored, pushed my limits as far as I was able. Bought new, random music wherever I could. I soon found my favourites in each style. My favourite jazz musician has to be Louis Armstrong, although I love Louis Prima too. I got into Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Joshua Redman. For country music I fell for the distinctive twang of Willie Nelson, and later Johnny Cash and Lonestar. Early Fleetwood Mac, The Peter Green Splinter Group, and B.B. King for blues. Soul music? Nina Simone all the way, although much of her music is jazz and blues too. Artists such as Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss/Union Station introduced me to bluegrass.  I loved it all.

My first love will always be rock and metal. I clicked with that most on my journey, and DJ'd it for a few years. From the 80s Dad-rock sound of REO Speedwagon back to the glorious prog-rock sound of Uriah Heep (who I also saw earlier this year - I always preferred them to Deep Purple), through Iron Maiden and the metal-core magic of Avenged Sevenfold's second album, aside to the folk-rock of the Levellers and rap-metal of Rage Against The Machine, goth-rock of the ***s Of Mercy, the punk rock of The Clash and much more besides, I had found my "sound".

I do musicals, I do soundtracks, I do classical. My absolute favourite artists? Barenaked Ladies, Walk Off The Earth, the Wagnerian rock of Jim Steinman. Choosing my best gigs ever would be hard (I could perhaps name 5), I've already got at least 4 more lined up for later this year.... hope that was insightful 😂

Very 😁 music always makes me feel alive. It's  everything I need. I find it to be the best therapy.  It can be a warm blanket, a passionate  fire, a release . It entrances  me

• 3 months later...
Posted

So many good things...KISS, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, T-Rex-tacy :hearts_around:, Alice Cooper, Blackmore's Rainbow, Uriah Heep and the late great Rory Gallagher...Aerosmith (early Aerosmith albums like Draw The Line and Toys In The Attic, not the later commercial stuff). Motorhead, early Status Quo...Iron Maiden...best and fave shagging music (no, it's NOT 'Whole Lotta Love') are the KISS tracks, 'Unholy'  'Love It Loud', 'Heaven's On Fire' and 'Lick It Up'.  Can NOT and WILL NOT do country and western, punk or opera.

Posted

I grew up with Prog Rock and Metal... I bypassed the 80's hair metal stage thought it way too campy.  

Currently get my music fix from the new Alt Rock genre doing the local circuits.  I did go through a phase of wiccan rock lieks of Incubus Succubs etc all, still good to scene to imo.

Posted
1 hour ago, smeagol said:

I grew up with Prog Rock and Metal... I bypassed the 80's hair metal stage thought it way too campy.  

Currently get my music fix from the new Alt Rock genre doing the local circuits.  I did go through a phase of wiccan rock lieks of Incubus Succubs etc all, still good to scene to imo.

I should've included Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, Atomic Rooster and Jethro Tull as well. The late 60s and early to mid 70s had such a rich variety of music.

Posted

Tull's Bursting out Live is a must for anyone's collection, plus Roots to Branches.

Posted

If I had to pick a fave Tull album - if I really HAD to - it'd be 'Benefit', I think. I was having a ramble through YouTube yesterday because I can't get to most of my vinyl collection at present (big shipment of books in the way to research and catalogue) and I thought the neighbours might be tired of Rory Gallagher and Rainbow.  (I wasn't, but you've got to be considerate).I found the Black Widow album  'Sacrifice' and enjoyed that then in the side bar an album by a late 60's band called Coven. Listened to that and another one...am now on a mission to find more by them...

Posted

My music taste ranges from classic metal like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Cream, etc.  To harder bands like Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse, *** Silence and more.  Metal is just, my jam.  No pun intended lol

Posted
6 hours ago, JCCarswell said:

My music taste ranges from classic metal like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Cream, etc.  To harder bands like Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse, *** Silence and more.  Metal is just, my jam.  No pun intended lol

Very choice! Lovely word, classic.  So is jam :)  And there is nothing so epic as seeing those classic masters of Rock in concert, you really get a Show, capital 's' intentional.  We've made sure we see as many as we can afford because so many of them are retiring - but still so active!  If I had to pick a best show, it was when Deep Purple toured Oz in the early 80s -  George Harrison happened to be in Sydney and wandered on stage and did two numbers with them.SO it's the best simply for the fabulous surprise.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Vandalslut said:

Very choice! Lovely word, classic.  So is jam :)  And there is nothing so epic as seeing those classic masters of Rock in concert, you really get a Show, capital 's' intentional.  We've made sure we see as many as we can afford because so many of them are retiring - but still so active!  If I had to pick a best show, it was when Deep Purple toured Oz in the early 80s -  George Harrison happened to be in Sydney and wandered on stage and did two numbers with them.SO it's the best simply for the fabulous surprise.

I could not imagine that.  My biggest and one of my favorites was when my dad took me to the Big 4 show.   Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica all 4 lit it up.

Posted
10 minutes ago, JCCarswell said:

I could not imagine that.  My biggest and one of my favorites was when my dad took me to the Big 4 show.   Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica all 4 lit it up.

Mega epic!  How was your hearing after that?! What a cool Dad you have.  After we saw Motorhead last time they toured here (RIP Count Lemmy) we were shouting 'WHAT?!' happily at each other for three days. Seeing George Harrison surprise-guesting with Deep Purple - the entire audience just went into stunned silence  then exploded.  He and Ritchie Blackmore did a fun guitar duel in 'Speed King'. :)

Posted
Just now, Vandalslut said:

Mega epic!  How was your hearing after that?! What a cool Dad you have.  After we saw Motorhead last time they toured here (RIP Count Lemmy) we were shouting 'WHAT?!' happily at each other for three days. Seeing George Harrison surprise-guesting with Deep Purple - the entire audience just went into stunned silence  then exploded.  He and Ritchie Blackmore did a fun guitar duel in 'Speed King'. :)

My hearing was shredded.  But so worth it.  The one concert I wish I was alive for and actually able to enjoy would be Woodstock.  Mainly because of Jimi Hendrix