Jump to content

A husband, a wife…and furniture. (Part 1 of 3)


Recommended Posts

The first thing I noticed was how she’d positioned herself at the kitchen island. Perfectly framed by the archway, a mug of tea cradled in both hands, her gaze fixed on some invisible point beyond the window. The afternoon light caught the curve of her shoulder, the way her fingers wrapped around the ceramic.

My wife knew exactly what she was doing.

Kneeling on the living room rug, I kept my hand on the back of her neck. A light pressure. A reminder. The girl had been here for twenty minutes now, and I hadn’t yet acknowledged her as anything more than furniture. That was the game. She’d arrived in a modest sundress, hair pulled back, eyes down. She’d been told the rules before she crossed the threshold.

You are not here to be seen. You are here to be used.

My wife took a sip of her tea. The silence stretched, comfortable and deliberate.

“Did you remember to pick up the dry cleaning?” she asked, her voice carrying easily across the open floor plan.

I didn’t look away from the girl. “Wednesday afternoon. It’s hanging in the hall closet.”

“Good.” Another sip. “The blue blazer needs the elbow patched. I’ll drop it off tomorrow.”

A soft exhale from the girl beneath my palm. Not quite a sound. Just the barest tremor of breath against my wrist.

My wife’s eyes flickered toward us for half a second. Then back to her tea. No acknowledgment. No smile. Nothing that said I see you, I see what you’re becoming. That was the beauty of Clara’s stillness. She could watch a woman dissolve into submission and make it look like she was checking the weather.

I shifted my weight, letting my fingers curl slightly into Maya’s hair. Not pulling. Just present. A claim written in the smallest gesture.

“The mortgage payment went through,” she said, setting down her mug. “I finally got someone on the phone about the overcharge on the escrow account.”

“Good. That was dragging.”

“It’s always dragging with them. They drag everything.”

The mundane rhythm of our conversation layered over the scene like a second skin. Maya’s knees pressed into the rug. Her hands rested on her thighs, palms up, open. An offering posture. She’d learned it fast.

Good girl.

I traced the shell of her ear with my thumb. Just the faintest brush of skin. Her breath hitched.

My wife crossed to the refrigerator, opened it, ***red inside. “What do you want for dinner?”

“Surprise me.”

“That’s not helpful.”

“Chicken,” I said. “Something with that lemon sauce you do.”

She pulled out a container of leftovers, examined it, put it back. The refrigerator door closed with a soft thump. “I could do the lemon thing. Need to pick up capers.”

“Then pick up capers.”

“I will.” She leaned against the counter, arms folded. “If you want.”

That last bit was for me. A question wrapped in domesticity. Are we still in this? Is the pacing right? I gave her a single nod.

She smiled. Small. Private. The kind of smile that said I love watching you work.

I turned my attention back to the furniture. The girl hadn’t moved. Her shoulders were tight, breath shallow. The anticipation building in her chest, in the way her fingers curled slightly at the edges.

“Look at me,” I said.

She lifted her chin slowly. Her eyes were dark, a little glassy. Nervous. Hungry.

I kept my voice even. Calm. The same tone I’d use to discuss the dry cleaning. “You’re here to learn. To wait. To be patient enough…”

Her throat worked as she swallowed.

My wife moved to the stove, filled a kettle, set it to boil. The click of the burner igniting. The hiss of blue flame. She didn’t look at us.

“I want you to undress,” I said. “Slowly. Facing me.”

The girls hands moved to the hem of her dress. She pulled it up, revealing the pale skin of her thighs, the curve of her hips, the simple cotton underwear she’d chosen. The dress came over her head, and she folded it neatly, placing it beside her on the rug.

She looked smaller without it. More ***.

My wife’s voice floated from the kitchen. “Do you want tea?”

“No,” I said. “I’m fine.”

“Suit yourself.”

The girls bra was white, unassuming. Practical. I didn’t tell her to remove it. Not yet. I wanted the moment to breathe.

“Hands behind your back,” I said.

She complied. The position pushed her shoulders back, lifted her chest slightly. The fabric of her bra stretched across her breasts. Her breathing was faster now, visible in the rise and fall of her ribs.

I circled her. Slowly. My footsteps soft on the hardwood.

My wife poured hot water into a cup, the sound of it filling the silence. She dropped a tea bag in, watched it steep.

When I stopped behind the girl, I placed my hand on the nape of her neck again. She leaned into the touch. A surrender so small, so instinctive, it was almost ***.

“You’re doing well,” I said quietly.

She shivered.

From the kitchen, my wife’s voice again, light and conversational: “Do you think we should invite your *** for the holiday, or will that be weird?”

I laughed. Actually laughed. The absurdity of it, the perfect timing, the way she could hold two worlds in her hands without dropping either.

“It’ll be weird,” I said. “But she’s family. Weird is part of the deal.”

“True.” My wife’s stirred her tea. “I’ll text her tomorrow.” Looking down at the girl on her knees and smiling.

The girl remained still beneath my hand. Waiting. Breathing. Learning what it meant to be seen but not addressed, acknowledged but not yet worthy of a direct word.

I knelt behind her, my chest to her back, and spoke into her ear. What I said didn’t matter it was just for us…not for you reading this.

A single tear slid down her cheek.

I didn’t wipe it away.

My wife looked up from her tea, met my eyes across the room, and gave me the barest hint of a nod.

The kettle clicked off. The steam rose. The silence settled back into place, thick and deliberate, and The girl knelt in the middle of it, naked from the waist up, trembling in the quiet space of our ordinary lives before her mouth became useful to my pleasure. My wife looking over briefly then moving back to her tasks. The only sign of arousal was a light joyious sigh and the opening of a fridge…dinner would soon be served…

“Should we invite your *** for the holidays or would that be weird.” - Is what was censored.

×
×
  • Create New...