Wow..What an idea..!

Posted

I wonder how many members there are in the UK...Just think..if we all contributed ..say £1each...based on 250,000 members...we could buy our own island ..there are quite a few around the UK coastline for sale.....just think of the possibilities...I really think this achievable..A whole island dedicated to our lifestyle...our loves..Freedom to live out our wildest fantasies...without the worry of being discovered..I am not suggesting that anything goes...but there would and should be rules to adhere to ..It would be for all...novices...those who are curious....the experienced...I love the idea...what do you think...?...Can this be posted on all the Forums....not everyone goes to every forum...this could become a reality...!!!!   Cassie

Posted

I kinda hate to shatter the illusion.

But - this £1 each buys the island, then what?

I've had a look at some of the islands for sale around the UK (which don't really list prices...) and most of them are fairly small - so you'd not be able to fit 250,000 people (so if everyone wants to turn up at once to something they own, they can't, in fact - even if everyone turned up one day per year on a rota basis it'd still be over 600 per day.

The islands are largely either undeveloped or underdeveloped - so you'd have to do things like build buildings, running/drinking water, sewage, electricity, gas, etc. which is going to expensive to maintain and install.

They're have to be capacity for boats or transport to the island to cover the amount of people entitled to visit.

It'd also surely attract attention and so to stop tourists etc. visiting then you'd need to have staff/security who'd likely need paid which is an ongoing cost.  

Of course, there are ways to scale things down, off-grid, so to speak - but to get any real volumes of people interested is... optimistic... to be honest, you'd be just as good having the people chip together for a private building....

Posted

Trust you to put a damper on the idea...It is still possible..don't be so negative as you come across in your replies..

Posted
What about a first come first serve basis and we put £10 in !!! 😀
Posted

of course it's possible - just not for 250,000 people to pay £1 each...

or 25,000 to pay £10

Like I say, once you've bought the island - your costs of building stuff, sorting power, water, etc. is going to run up...

and how do you deal with crime and bad behaviour ?

Posted

It's a lovely idyllic daydream, but I don't think in practical terms it could work..but very happy to be proven wrong, and pay my pound  😊

Posted
I’ll pay £2 and be a Slavs on there for everyone