Film Representation of BDSM

ey****

Posted

This is just some of my thoughts and is separate to the new film club proposed.

But, in the chat tonight a few films were raised and questions on whether they were good or bad representations of BDSM

And this is something I've thought about in the past.

I think; first off. A lot of films with BDSM in them aren't designed to be sold to the Fetish audience. Somewhat, the makers may know we will consume them to critique (they benefit anyway) but, it's ironic that we're not the target audience.

But also; representation of BDSM is different given we all probably have quite different experiences.  Like, you could make a film of my life* and plenty of people would critique it as being not real or whatever (but it is, it's my life) or maybe you could make a film of someone in a strict D/s engagement and someone else would just say it's "old fashioned" or whatever.   I think it's therefore difficult to make an accurate representation because we're all so different.

Though.  There's TV and film which have been picked up as having bad examples of consent, *** or manipulation.  Maybe reckless, irresponsible or dangerous play.

And, I think it's really good people call this out.  But, it's easier to do this at a TV show or film. I don't know if we all made mistakes. Probably we do. It's learning and growing. So a show or film where someone doesn't make any mistakes, doesn't twist for their own way, or maybe can be a little guilty of negative behaviours some time..... that's probably less believable than a "perfect" character. 

(*incidentally; I don't know what footage they're going to use - but I'm in the next series of The Sex Business.  I have a feeling it's going to be a bit Meta) 

Posted

I'm looking forward to a series where there is an incidental dom sub relationship and it's not even a plot point depicting the participants as well rounded happy healthy consenting adults and not the main protagonists of some cult or psychopathic *** rampages.