Competition ratings..... Not great.

Je****

Posted

Ok so I have taken part in a couple of the competitions on Fet, which is great. I have also spoken to one or two ladies from around the globe who also enjoy taking part in the competitions. And while we all love to have a go at it, a few had remarked on the "rating" system that Fet employs. 

So... There is the standard rate the pics 1-5 stars... great, fine.

But there is also a "so many... ratings below 3 stars are hidden" kind of comment below. 

Now we asked each other this...

1. Why does Fet not show you who marks you 1-2 stars, the same way they show you who marks 3-5?

2. Why are they hidden but the amount tallied up in one mass at the bottom spread from all competitions combined?

3. Why does Fet not show you which of your pictures are deemed 'less attractive' than some of the others, in other words why can't they show you which ones are marked down?

4. Does Fet not think this is a bit cruel? Showing people they have 100-1000 photo rating that people have deemed 'ugly', 'unattractive' or whatever else? Why inform you that you have sooooo many low ratings anonymously from people, but not have the gall to show you which ones and from whom?

The women I spoke to about this, have each one thing in common. It has hit a nerve, made them upset and ultimately feel self conscious. Depsite it being a competition, I don't think anyone needs to read that 1000 people or whatever, think your photos are shit. This is extremely mind fucking. It is putting some off entering the competitions and to be honest if Fet showed the 1-2 star ratings mixed in with the rest, this wouldn't even be as harmful as adding up the 'shit ratings' and reminding you at the bottom how disgusting your pictures are, never mind that, they don't even refresh for the next competition. 

Can Fet not just get rid of the "1879" or whatever total ratings of 1-2 stars at the bottom? Can they not just show you WHO rated what star and on which picture, so as to not have people feeling paranoid about themselves?

The only reason I feel there is some secrecy around the 1-2 star ratings is making way for people who don't like you, who are jealous, or trying to eliminate their competition by low markings, knowing they can do so anonymously?!

This is not about myself or anyone in particular but due to a discussion with a couple of women, it seems to be more an issue I've noticed and find myself worrying about now. 

Can't this be changed?????

Posted
I'm guessing they don't show who gives low ratings so people, who might be offended by the low rating, don't start contacting either demanding an explanation why or to give them ***
Posted
7 hours ago, JenniferTP said:

Ok so I have taken part in a couple of the competitions on Fet, which is great. I have also spoken to one or two ladies from around the globe who also enjoy taking part in the competitions. And while we all love to have a go at it, a few had remarked on the "rating" system that Fet employs. 

So... There is the standard rate the pics 1-5 stars... great, fine.

But there is also a "so many... ratings below 3 stars are hidden" kind of comment below. 

Now we asked each other this...

1. Why does Fet not show you who marks you 1-2 stars, the same way they show you who marks 3-5?

2. Why are they hidden but the amount tallied up in one mass at the bottom spread from all competitions combined?

3. Why does Fet not show you which of your pictures are deemed 'less attractive' than some of the others, in other words why can't they show you which ones are marked down?

4. Does Fet not think this is a bit cruel? Showing people they have 100-1000 photo rating that people have deemed 'ugly', 'unattractive' or whatever else? Why inform you that you have sooooo many low ratings anonymously from people, but not have the gall to show you which ones and from whom?

The women I spoke to about this, have each one thing in common. It has hit a nerve, made them upset and ultimately feel self conscious. Depsite it being a competition, I don't think anyone needs to read that 1000 people or whatever, think your photos are shit. This is extremely mind fucking. It is putting some off entering the competitions and to be honest if Fet showed the 1-2 star ratings mixed in with the rest, this wouldn't even be as harmful as adding up the 'shit ratings' and reminding you at the bottom how disgusting your pictures are, never mind that, they don't even refresh for the next competition. 

Can Fet not just get rid of the "1879" or whatever total ratings of 1-2 stars at the bottom? Can they not just show you WHO rated what star and on which picture, so as to not have people feeling paranoid about themselves?

The only reason I feel there is some secrecy around the 1-2 star ratings is making way for people who don't like you, who are jealous, or trying to eliminate their competition by low markings, knowing they can do so anonymously?!

This is not about myself or anyone in particular but due to a discussion with a couple of women, it seems to be more an issue I've noticed and find myself worrying about now. 

Can't this be changed?????

The star rating used to be instead of the likes button, and you did get to see the 1 and 2 stars, but it was gotten rid of

Posted
Just now, BDSMkinkydom said:

I'm guessing they don't show who gives low ratings so people, who might be offended by the low rating, don't start contacting either demanding an explanation why or to give them ***

If they don't want to show who gives a low rating then they shouldn't be telling people they have X amount of low ratings to begin with.

Mine was at 696 before this recent comp... I am now up to 952...

All low ratings under 2 stars anonymously.

I know a lady who's been using them longer and its in the 000's for her. It is not right!!!!

Posted
1 minute ago, Chiana said:

The star rating used to be instead of the likes button, and you did get to see the 1 and 2 stars, but it was gotten rid of

This is for the photo comp. Not profile ratings xx

Posted
1 minute ago, JenniferTP said:

This is for the photo comp. Not profile ratings xx

Yeah it's left over from that

Posted
I agree. I entered the tattoo challenge. And, even though I just have one small one, several people gave me 3 stars or above. However, most people gave me a low mark, resulting in a 2 overall rating. Would’ve been nice to see who those members were. It’s just a friendly challenge, after all.
Posted
Just now, Seeker51 said:

I agree. I entered the tattoo challenge. And, even though I just have one small one, several people gave me 3 stars or above. However, most people gave me a low mark, resulting in a 2 overall rating. Would’ve been nice to see who those members were. It’s just a friendly challenge, after all.

I think my main issue with it is not the people who mark you down but the fact Fet tallies the overall low marks and they remain there as a reminder... totalling up and up more pics you enter as time goes on. It can be seriously detrimental to some people. And then you get the "can't handle it don't enter" comments, which don't help anyone.

Either let the 1-2 stars be included in what's seen or do away with the negative scores altogether in my opinion. Doesn't help anyones self esteem. 

I'm sorry your pic was marked down. It's not a nice feeling.

Posted
Wholly agree. I have over 3000 one and two stars ratings. You are entitled to think my pics are crap, but I would like to see who you are. The anonymity allows for more ratings based on spite or jealousy bc they know they can't be seen. And, yes, I really don't need reminding that over 3000 people think my pics are shit.
Posted
Just now, Charmander said:

Wholly agree. I have over 3000 one and two stars ratings. You are entitled to think my pics are crap, but I would like to see who you are. The anonymity allows for more ratings based on spite or jealousy bc they know they can't be seen. And, yes, I really don't need reminding that over 3000 people think my pics are shit.

I think it is awful cruel to leave those grades there to remind you. And yes the anonymity of it I think plays a big factor in those ratings. Big time. If visible would the same people still rate you the same? I doubt it. 

Posted

I think it's pretty obvious why ratings are anonymous for low raters. It's the same reason election voting is anonymous. If it weren't, people might feel pressured not to vote their honest preferences. They evidently don't feel like there would be pressure for neutral/positive ratings, but there might be for high ratings (or they think high ratings might be openings for positive communication). I'd prefer if all votes/ratings were anonymous as a general rule.

I do think it's a shame if the site doesn't show you which pics aren't well-received. I always love as much feedback as I can get, positive or negative, but a substantial portion of users probably don't enjoy negative feedback. I can understand wanting to give a tally of the negatives just for transparency, but perhaps an option to hide negative votes wouldn't be hard to implement. 

Posted
They thought it would stifle and protect the user but it actually just opens up people to anonymously bash you more with zero accountability. The rating system is flawed. Maybe we have to allow for just positive ratings or nothing.
The worst someone can do is NOT vote.
Not vote someone DOWN.
The more positive ratings the better.
That's it.
Leaving the masses to a rating system that is normally reserved for judges AND giving anonymity to those voting 1 and 2 is backwards, and detrimental to true vote tallying. You don't vote for local offices using stars. It's a vote or non-vote.
"This is why we can't have nice things" is a line that fits perfectly here.
Sure in theory the star system is cool.
But people can be jerks.
So they ruined it.
Don't help them
To ruin it more
~Doc

P.S. Jennifer and Char, you are 5 stars all day in my book. The low stars are obviously just jealous haters. Or blocked users.
Posted
So it sounds like everyone competing has a chance to vote down their competitor anonymously?

How much sense does that make?

Bottom line is: the rules and system should be set by those who are competing. Not by those that think they know what's best for the competitors.
Posted
Why is everyone so butthurt over star ratings on an app LOL
Posted
Because it's something they take pride in?
A better question is: why would you spend ANY amount of your free time caring and commenting of what other people care about
Yeesh.
That's true sadness.
Posted
Its true sadness that I ask why somebody took out a full page ad in the newspaper to cry about some stupid ratings on a wonky app? LOL
Posted
1 hour ago, shiptur said:

Its true sadness that I ask why somebody took out a full page ad in the newspaper to cry about some stupid ratings on a wonky app? LOL

Its not the ratings. Its the aftermath they leave. 

As for here... like everything/one.. its not perfect. 

Good luck on this 'wonky app' and thanks for all youve brought to the table. 👌

Posted
2 hours ago, Pleasurecalculus said:

I think it's pretty obvious why ratings are anonymous for low raters. It's the same reason election voting is anonymous. If it weren't, people might feel pressured not to vote their honest preferences. They evidently don't feel like there would be pressure for neutral/positive ratings, but there might be for high ratings (or they think high ratings might be openings for positive communication). I'd prefer if all votes/ratings were anonymous as a general rule.

I do think it's a shame if the site doesn't show you which pics aren't well-received. I always love as much feedback as I can get, positive or negative, but a substantial portion of users probably don't enjoy negative feedback. I can understand wanting to give a tally of the negatives just for transparency, but perhaps an option to hide negative votes wouldn't be hard to implement. 

Feedback is always good i agree. 

They should either do away with the negative or make them just as transparent as the positives. Keep it fair and open :)

Posted
2 hours ago, absolutdoc said:

They thought it would stifle and protect the user but it actually just opens up people to anonymously bash you more with zero accountability. The rating system is flawed. Maybe we have to allow for just positive ratings or nothing.
The worst someone can do is NOT vote.
Not vote someone DOWN.
The more positive ratings the better.
That's it.
Leaving the masses to a rating system that is normally reserved for judges AND giving anonymity to those voting 1 and 2 is backwards, and detrimental to true vote tallying. You don't vote for local offices using stars. It's a vote or non-vote.
"This is why we can't have nice things" is a line that fits perfectly here.
Sure in theory the star system is cool.
But people can be jerks.
So they ruined it.
Don't help them
To ruin it more
~Doc

P.S. Jennifer and Char, you are 5 stars all day in my book. The low stars are obviously just jealous haters. Or blocked users.

I deffo reckon bashing can be a part of it. Definately snide behaviour because some of these women have amazing photos not even the quality... but the content and theme.. and yet receive a heck of negatives. 

But while thats a case... i just think Fet reminding you at the bottom... aling with the anonymity.. is just unnecessary. 

Not great for peoples confidence.. or self esteem to be reminded of a forever multiplying tally.

Youre wonderful anyway Doc and thanks for ur comments xx

Posted

1 hour ago, JenniferTP said:

They should either do away with the negative or make them just as transparent as the positives. Keep it fair and open :)

Out of curiosity, what is gained by a lack of anonymity? Does it help in some way to know who rated your photo two stars or below? 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Pleasurecalculus said:

Out of curiosity, what is gained by a lack of anonymity? Does it help in some way to know who rated your photo two stars or below? 

As mentioned above if they didnt conceal it, then people wouldnt notice as many of the shit ratings. They would be mixed in a long with the other ratings and this be less hurtful to stare at tbh. 

My ratings are extremely low compared to some others. But it doesn't help watch it rise either. And I think it would also encourage people to vote fairly and not because they don't like you. Its a cowardly shitty thing for people to mark you down imply because of who you are. (Someone admitted to me once they have done this to someone, so it does happen). 

Posted
Wow never knew how floored the rating system was but sounds like a complete joke. I've only seen 2 photo comps not been brave enough to join yet, and seeing this doesn't help. It's a shame to hear people's effort and creativity isn't being represented correctly. I've kind of been using my own simplified system of only rating ones I really liked with a 4 or 5 and ignoring the ones I wasn't sure about as it didn't feel right to criticize there hard work just because I failed to connect with it. Less inclined to vote now I know how floored the system is and the negative impact it appears to be having.