Fetish Dialectics - Fifty shades of Grey/Shit

Posted

Much has been said about this lucrative series of books and films, LockFairy even merged it into a Shakespearean Sonnet. 
I was going to list the pros and cons and let the debate unfold, then realised I'd have been a fraud as most of what I would present here would be lifted from an article.

So I commend the following and invite your opinions, both for and against, preferably both with a conclusive bias one way or another.

Simply Google 
the atlantic fifty shades
...and enjoy the read. 

Posted
Ok.. to start with, I read the books about 10yrs ago and haven’t seen the film…but that rating on the Atlantic 50 shades just had me howling..thanks for that 😂😂.

My opinion on the books…they were bullshit. There was barely any ‘kink’ in it, she was railroaded into a relationship by a man who basically stalked and bought her and the bdsm was labelled as a side effect of his *** as a child and magically fixed by Anna’s love 🙄 submissives were portrayed as mindless, *** fools and I personally found the whole thing completely insulting.
Posted

That would appear to be a resounding no then!  No redeeming points. 50 Shades of Shit 1, Grey 0 xxxx 

Posted

I gave it a google this morning and noticed the date on the article and have probably already read it 

But. I've not read the books, I have seen the films (mostly for snark) and they're not great with a lot of what the fuckery.

However, I often feel 50SOG has become one of those things that it's "cool to hate" - and while it is awful, there are still points to take from it.

-

It is beyond doubt that Christian is controlling, manipulative, uses past trauma as an excuse for bad behaviour and has questionable approaches to consent.  

It is right to call this out and people have been doing so since the first book landed.

However, a lot here isn't isolated.  Elements of the character came from comments the Doms had made on forums of the time.   We often get people on here with a "the sub should do what she is told or is not a real sub" attitude and sometimes they'll even do the nostalgic "how it was in my day" referring to the mid 90s (long before 50SOG) and that is a big element in Christian.  

Like there's elements we know is abusive even though she didn't say stop - but - if this happened in a real scene in real life then too many people shrug it as "she didn't say stop"

-

I often feel there is a deeper learning under the surface that elements of the community have been too quick to gloss over. They hate 50SOG as it's not representative of how they view BDSM - but - it's easier to call out a work of fiction than what might be happening on their door step.

Posted
Slightly off topic but close enough, the secretary... There's some questionable shit in that one too. Mainly Maggies character having to of had past trauma to be a sub and the scene where he ***s her and they fall in love after. Nice one Hollywood 🙄
Posted
Wait there I might be misremembering, he definitely says he's not going to do something sexual and then does anyway. I'd rewatch it but fuck that
Posted

People forgive the Secretary cos it's cutsie and she drives a lot.  So it feels more consensual.  In reality there is arguably an unhealthy codependency. 

Posted
I mean, if we're looking for positives, the playroom looks 'ok' and it made a lot of people a lot of *** 🤷‍♀️
I think that the issue with 50SofG (other than that which is said repeatedly) is that, its just the same old tripe as any other BSDM erotica in terms of books, it's just that this one somehow caught traction and ended up in Hollywood.
Essentially, the synopsis of any BDSM erotica goes like this...
Female s-type, typically struggling/down on her luck in some respect, along comes a D-type. Initially they don't get on but for some reason neither can leave the other alone, then he becomes her saviour/love of her life but not before she teaches him something about humanity. There's nothing new and it is fiction. If I got the arse everytime a social worker is depicted in a TV show/film and the character doesn't do a particularly good job (they always get it wrong) I'd be an extremely arsey person 😂
Posted
1 hour ago, CopperKnob said:

I mean, if we're looking for positives, the playroom looks 'ok' and it made a lot of people a lot of *** 🤷‍♀️
I think that the issue with 50SofG (other than that which is said repeatedly) is that, its just the same old tripe as any other BSDM erotica in terms of books, it's just that this one somehow caught traction and ended up in Hollywood.
Essentially, the synopsis of any BDSM erotica goes like this...
Female s-type, typically struggling/down on her luck in some respect, along comes a D-type. Initially they don't get on but for some reason neither can leave the other alone, then he becomes her saviour/love of her life but not before she teaches him something about humanity. There's nothing new and it is fiction. If I got the arse everytime a social worker is depicted in a TV show/film and the character doesn't do a particularly good job (they always get it wrong) I'd be an extremely arsey person 😂

If you've ever read a Mills & Boon book the story lines are exactly the same as you've outlined but without the BDSM. I spent a lot of my mid ***s reading about heaving bosoms and tumescent manhoods 😄

Posted
14 minutes ago, Morganna said:

If you've ever read a Mills & Boon book the story lines are exactly the same as you've outlined but without the BDSM. I spent a lot of my mid ***s reading about heaving bosoms and tumescent manhoods 😄

I did! Iwas always sneaking Mills and Boon out of my mums bedroom so I could read them by torch light under the duvet 😂😂

Posted

Mills and boon my torchlight now there's nostalgia :)😀 i agree pretty much with all that's been said. I only watched the first film as I was somewhat curious,  I hated the books. I.thought it was lazy repetitive writing, I often imagine the author liken to the farsicle Barbra Cartland send up in Little Britain.  "How many pages, how many pages" lol.

I thought perhaps the film will be better, erm no!