Finding Therapists in the Lifestyle

AllisonWonderland

AllisonWonderland
Posted

Hey all

Are there therapists out there that are people actively in the lifestyle. I’ve hit a creative mental block lately as an author and think having someone to talk to about ALL of my thoughts and ideas would probably be helpful but I also want to explore / discuss the lifestyle with someone who actually lives it and isn’t just an open minded therapist accepting it. 

Is there a database out there or anything?

Posted

I've thought of the same thing! I feel like having a therapist in this lifestyle could help others who want to understand why they are into some of the fetishes they have. I know I would love that!

Posted

A good place to start is Pink Therapy.

They list all LGBTQ+ friendly therapists which stands a better chance of it being someone who is kink-friendly.

Most top end therapists would also be willing to learn

Posted

Hmmm, interesting.

I'm a total pervert, and I study psychology at my school.

Posted

Not sure where you are, but I know 2 in the Los Angeles area.

Posted

I actually have a friend that specializes in this unfortunately she is in Maryland and not sure if teletherapy would be an option 

CheekiCheshire
Posted

Look at the Kink Aware Professionals directory - as a starting point. Then ask. If you want a life coach instead of therapy PM me and I can refer you to someone.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hmu I've been helping people out with advice and such on all things since I was a kid

Posted

in due respect advice <> therapy

and, you can message someone directly...

• 4 months later...
Posted

Therapy ~ therapist

As someone who has experienced (what i feel to be) quite a lot of therapy (relationship and then personal background stuff) - i speak form my experience when i say it can be very effective - for me i consider ti the best education in my life.

A few things to consider.....

- why do you want the therapy.. what is it that you want to address, there will be reason why you feel you want /need therapy..  a good therapist will then have the 'tools' 'experience' knowledge' to work on what / where the cause is for these concerns.....  and there the education starts...  (possibly!)

- then it is important to 'work' with a therapist that is right for you...  probably a bit of a catch 22 situation but you need to feel comfortable with them and them you, but also you need to feel they are offering you the right advice / solutions / ideas  to help with your needs...    as i say catch 22 but communicate with them.. let them know if you arent understanding the process or if it feels alien /awkward for you....      I heard someone  mention this on the radio.. and it totally made sense and i thought wow.. i had a couple of people (1 in particular) who really didnt understand my 'situation'

There are list and databases.....  google and local health websites might be your best route... or phone up your GP - if you have GPs  ;)

ps -this is all obviously my perspective on it...  (whoelse' could it be!)