Netflix gay book shop

Ch****

Posted

I watch all sorts on Netflix theresva documentary on there right now called circus of books. Its about a gay book shop that's been there for many years. It was there when being gay in america was against the law. 

Im watching it now its rather fun

Posted

Thanks for the tip, Charms. I'd like to watch that.

Posted
2 minutes ago, MsWhiteRose said:

Thanks for the tip, Charms. I'd like to watch that.

Your most welcome. Its rather interesting

Posted

Hold on, I’m a little confused. Do you mean that the owner/owners were gay or that the content of the shop was gay literature?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Friendlyfire1 said:

Hold on, I’m a little confused. Do you mean that the owner/owners were gay or that the content of the shop was gay literature?

content, they had a family daughter is part of production

Posted

An ENTIRE book shop dedicated to gay literature, in a time when homosexuality was not only frowned upon but illegal. That a real niche market to begin with and they limited in who will come and buy it, as there’s no internet. To me that sounds like poor business practice. Doing it nowadays as an online store makes sense.

Posted

And yet these places existed. It's called counterculture.

Posted
4 hours ago, Friendlyfire1 said:

An ENTIRE book shop dedicated to gay literature, in a time when homosexuality was not only frowned upon but illegal. That a real niche market to begin with and they limited in who will come and buy it, as there’s no internet. To me that sounds like poor business practice. Doing it nowadays as an online store makes sense.

there's a lot in history that kinda works even though on the surface it shouldn't.

up until recently, a lot of sex shops were actually registered as book shops - and also have shelves of totally random and useless books because they had to have a minimum quantity of books in order to be a "book shop" 

But also, this meant, to the outsider, these looked like really niche and unpopular books, which kept those folk out.

Posted

there's a lot of weird and wild times pre-internet.

Posted
5 hours ago, Friendlyfire1 said:

This book shop as been there since the 70s maybe earlier. There was no such thing as the internet back then . it tells you how the book shop started how it got its name all sorts. I've not watched it all but plan on doing

Posted

I’m well aware of the internet not being around in the early 70s.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Friendlyfire1 said:

I’m well aware of the internet not being around in the early 70s.

I think you somewhat missed the point.

There's a lot with sexual revolution and freedoms that were really quite special.   As you say, a gay book shop in a time when homosexuality was illegal with no way of having an online pressence.

Yet they still made it work.