I was Catfished

Ell93

Posted
On 4/26/2021 at 11:54 PM, Ell93 said:

So last week a guy messaged me on this app.
His profile seemed pretty normal but some of his pictures look very professional/model like (there was a few candid pictures and selfies). I brushed any doubts away when he told me he was a fashion designer. I thought if he's in that industry then of course he'll have a few "model"photos taken of him.

We got talking and he told me he been working on corsets. He said he had an Instagram page recently set up dedicated to his designs. I decided to check it out. It was a private account so I had to follow him in order to view his content. There was just one post (a selfie) but he sent me some images of the corsets he was working on via direct message.
I didn't really talk to him that much as I was busy and wasn't really spending much time on Instagram. It was only over the weekend we got talking a bit more. He seemed nice, I was talking about work and he was really supportive. Anything that I wasn't comfortable with he apologised and backed down straight away.
It wasn't until he posted to his story that I got my suspicions. He posted a screenshot of him facetiming with his *** and niece. I thought this was really weird because this was a new account supposedly dedicated to his designs. He only had 5 followers and 1 post so why would he be sharing a screenshot of his "personal life" via his stories.
I've used second Instagram accounts in the past because the content was going to be activism based. As such the content I posted would reflect this. I wouldn't share personal moments on that account.

I thought back to this guys profile on this app. The photos did look professional so I took a screenshot of them and found a website that could do a reverse image search.
In one photo the guy was wearing a watch so the results came back with the Facebook page of the watch company. The same image the guy used on this app was on this Facebook page. The photo on Facebook had the name of the model. It was a completely different name to the guy I was talking to (which obviously can be justified but I was still suspicious)
I searched the guy in the photos name on Instagram and I found his account. He is a model in Australia and is still active on that account. He was born and still lives there.

The guy who I was really talking to told me he was born and raised in Chicago and now lives in South London.

All the photos on this guy's profile came from the models Instagram page. He also took the facetime screenshot from there too. (It was originally taken 2 years ago).

When the guy I had been talking to messaged me this morning he asked me what I was looking for. He said he wanted a long term relationship. I responded by telling him what I knew and if he's really wants to be in a LTR then he shouldn't catfish people and use fake photos. He then played dumb and asked what I was on about. When I sent him the models Instagram page he blocked me on Instagram and blocked me on this app.

This is frustrating because I didn't think people at my age would be playing these type of games. It's time wasting and it strings people along. I don't know why this guy used fake photos. If he wanted to hide his identity that's fine. There are ways of doing that. Ive been messaged by guys who don't show there face but they still know how to hold a conversation. Also, if he's insecure about his appearance then he shouldn't be looking for a LTR. Personally, I don't see anyone as ugly or unattractive. Looks are only skin deep. It's your personality and charm that makes you attractive.

If you use a fake photo it's doomed from the start. Just wear a mask or something. Take a picture of you from the back. When you're comfortable then you can send a selfie.

Any relationship based on lies will not work out. There's no coming back from that.

He actually said he wanted a LTR! What was he going to do if we met up?!! He really wasn't slick I included in my profile that I was an investigator. Why would you try to catfish and investigator lol?

This man has no place here so Ive reported his account. Hopefully no other women will get played by this man.

I am sorry you went through this, don't let it hurt your opinion about the community. There are some good eggs out there. 

x