How to express ones self in a topic or reply...

Posted

I find it alot easier to discuss or give an opinion or advice on a one two one personal level...face to face or even over the telephone...Even though I have a top grade in English Language , I really struggle to get my reply  or even topic expressed in such a way that it is clear for everyone one to understand...I have had few really polite messages from moderators that they could not always fully understand the point I was trying to make...Is it just me...or has it been such a long time since getting my A level..that I have forgotten the basics in how to express myself clearly...When posting a Topic or reply..I type what is going through my mind at that time...not thinking about how it comes across....Any suggestions how to improve or come across in a more understandable way...My Mum..knows that I belong to this website....and I mentioned this problem to her when I had a few too many glasses of Southern Comfort...and she ...as a Mum who always seems to know what advice to give , said that I should write whatever I want to post on paper..read it through a few times , and then post it...Makes sense , but I feel so silly...after all I am not a ***ager...but an Adult...and yet...Does Mum really know best....A really embarrassing topic from my point of view to post...but any differing advice , well even if you agree with my Mum , would be welcome..Cassie

Posted (edited)

I'm sure you're not alone in this..especially when what you want to say is personal or personally affecting you.  Emotions bubble up no matter how hard you try to be objective or suppress them, especially if you write when in the midst of what feels like a crisis at the time, or you're excited..or even had a southern comfort or two.

Your mum's advice is sound, you might want to think about spacing too, paragraphs can help, punctuation perhaps, a misplaced comma or a set of ... (I'm sooooo guilty of the ... myself) can change entirely the flow of what you intend to say, especially when in the midst of that you go off on a tangent before returning to the point you want to make.. (again, I'm guilty of that too..like you, I write how I speak).

You have no need to be embarassed at all, all you're trying to do is be a better communicator, you've recognised a problem and are trying to fix it..and that's a good thing.

I'm sure someone will come along with better advice..in the meantime, if you do ever need an ear, or even a shoulder, feel free to message me if you'd like to.

Good luck x

Edited by Deleted Member
Mrsmindfuck
Posted

Move with the times,

Do many people actually read anymore ? -yes they do ,but most people when faced with a short video over a long text tend to choose the video, we as humans like things to happen fast the video provides the same information as the text just in a shorter amount of time.  

Obriously you went in to English for the love of writing, remember why you love writing.  

The self expression the power to get your opinion across you diddnt fall in love with punctuation did you ? Say exactly what you want to say if the way you are doing it now is not working try a new one, just change the way you do it have fun trying something new,  do it via video. It maybe it' sad to say but in my opinion maybe the art of good text is slightly outdated! 

Amd when they do read they tend to focus more on the spelling and punctuation  than the message that is getting put across almost a mind block it is sad.

Posted

It'd be easier to type it out and then read it after you've typed it? It'll still make sense to you i think whichever you do because it made sense while you were typing it.

I have 4 kids, having them meant i had to explain more simply and think that makes me easier to understand, but my not so great grammar does not help.

Definitely agree with Ms Jax on breaking stuff down with paragraphs as that helps people keep their concentration, in a wall of text it's easy to lose your place when reading.

Posted
21 hours ago, Mrsmindfuck said:

Amd when they do read they tend to focus more on the spelling and punctuation  than the message that is getting put across almost a mind block it is sad.

I prefer reading than i can keep up at my own pace but grammar nazis do bug me when they take stuff off topic -and especially when they decide to tackle someone with dyslexia.

Posted

Never expected so many replies offering such an insight and advice . It is really appreciated. Thank you to you all !..Maybe this should be another Topic...Feel free to post this Topic  if you feel it has some relevance...But does anyone think that the way we connect to each other now is so different to the old fashioned way of chatting on a phone..writing a letter. There seems to be two types of languages...internet...and old fashioned...Which one do you prefer...hearing a warm reassuring voice  or a completely cold conversation devoid of any emotions and feelings. Cassie

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cassie34 said:

Never expected so many replies offering such an insight and advice . It is really appreciated. Thank you to you all !..Maybe this should be another Topic...Feel free to post this Topic  if you feel it has some relevance...But does anyone think that the way we connect to each other now is so different to the old fashioned way of chatting on a phone..writing a letter. There seems to be two types of languages...internet...and old fashioned...Which one do you prefer...hearing a warm reassuring voice  or a completely cold conversation devoid of any emotions and feelings. Cassie

I much prefer to speak to someone in the same room, or at least hear a voice on the end of a phone..the trouble with texting/messaging/mailing and so on, is the one dimensional nature of it, you can't see a twinkle in an eye, or warm curl of a lip, you can't hear a laugh, or giggle. I suppose that's why gifs and emojiis are so popular, I know I use  them to at least try and mitigate that a little.

Add to that, the, in my opinion, lazy text speak, and the words are just that, words, and have no depth, or sincerity, as you put it they are cold. 

There weren't even electric typewriters in my secondary school, obviously mobile phones, and the internet didnt exist either ..if we wanted to communicate at anything other than a snails pace, our options were talk in person, or talk on a telephone,  and as I said, these are still my favourite. 

I know someone's going to tell me that this is another century, to get with the times, use cams or whatever..and maybe I should, but I'm not going to, because it just doesn't feel comfortable for me.

Edited by Deleted Member
Typos
Posted

Wel, it is not going to be me to tell you to keep up with progress as I completely agree with everything you have mentioned in your reply !.It is sad  that we seem to be losing the warmth that is , or was associated with meeting friends and , as you put so nicely...hearing a giggle or seeing someones reaction...even to the extent of giving someone a hug...all that is missing when texting or sending an e-mail . It just comes across as official , business like ..!.I really do like your reply..Keep it up..Cassie

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I find it always best to speak your mind .but maybe like me you sometimes find yourself repeating things you have already covered or going of topic a little bit and if its something you are passionate about  maybe you go on a bit too much i know i do maybe its best to keep things short and sweet (difficult sometimes though) i also think its easier face to face ,technology gets in the way unfortunately 

Posted

I know exactly what you mean..being passionate about something that is close to ones heart , it is all to easy to change direction within the topic ,  reply posted...One can get very wound up and being of an emotional nature , does not help either.!