What's the best way to get into and stay in character?

TeachMeALesson

TeachMeALesson
Posted
My partner and I haven't experienced much with role-playing (we often get too caught up doing... other things... 😋) but it's something I would like to put more effort into. I think part of both our hesitation (or failing) stems from not knowing how to fully get into character and keep it up.

Any advice would be stellar! 🥰
Posted

what I've found is that it's easier to get into a character you feel comfortable being - if something isn't working, try another tact

Posted
Big question. Actors train for years to do this.

Larger than life sterotype/archetype characters may be easier.

Having obvious things to do may help. Objects/props are useful here - an object suggests it's use.
TeachMeALesson
Posted
Blacksheep, that's great advice. I'm trying to figure out what we'd be comfortable with 😕 Drake, props are an excellent idea. I've never thought of that before. Any ones you suggest in particular?
Posted
The props you might use, would depend on the character whom you were each portraying within your role. You might dress appropriate to whom you were “playing”, and use technical language to enhance your new persona. Using acting as a basis, as mentioned below, is probably a big help. If you wish to role play, be convincing visually, aurally and in manner.