Kink and God

Wo****

Posted

Okay..

I have always believed in God*. Not religion per se, more a belief that we were all somehow created rather than life being just a cosmic accident.

I confided in a friend about my sexuality and desires, he was horrified! Genuinely, absolutely appalled!

I've never considered kink to be "sinful" in fact, I think, it's actually celebrating God. I see it as giving oneself completely, honestly and using, appreciating this gift we have to experience things.

Thoughts?

*my beliefs are personal to me, I'm not here to "convert" anyone

Posted

I'm not religious - but I try to be respectful to others religions.

I feel sometimes *a problem* in any religion is when somebody does something *they personally* don't approve of, they chime it's a sin.   

So... I did a little google this morning - and found a bunch of evangilist Christian blogs which cherry picked some bible quotes and represented them in a way which suggested BDSM is bad.

There is a website called Christian Republic which apparently has a bunch of articles generally supporting people who are Christian and into BDSM

It concludes :

“We have not found within Scriptures any condemnation of sexual behaviours or acts of B&D or S&M when practices by a man and woman within marriage for the purposes of sexual arousal or gratification. Nor do we find these behaviours defined in Scripture as unnatural, abnormal or perverse.”

--

I do have further thoughts.  

- I know I talk a lot about Christianity here which was a mild jump to conclusions, but the majority of posts I found when googling were from Christian Blogs

- there's a lot that bible does condemn which is quite outdated... like eating shellfish or wearing polyester. 

- I don't feel any consensual practices go against religion - except if they also involve something that is otherwise verboten (which is stuff like, I dunno, killing people and stealing and that)

Posted

Agreed.

I think as long as it's consensual, doesn't hurt anyone, then it should be celebrated.

It fascinates me when people who claim to love God then sit in judgement and condemn anything that they dislike or disagree with.

As for the bible, I see that as man's way of trying to figure life out. 

God is love, light, goodness, honesty, giving.. all of those things are internal to bdsm imo.

Posted

I think if I were God and someone came up to me in heaven and said they'd led a boring, plain and respectful life - I'd think "what a fucking waste of a monkey" 

Posted
I am pagan so luckily anything sexual is often accepted. I don’t think anyone has the right to believe that their opinion overrides someone else’s no matter what religion or belief that should be. Even if someone shares the same beliefs as you, what makes them think they have a right to preach what is right or wrong as long as it is legal & consensual. If someone is appalled by you then smile at the thought that their life will never be as fulfilling as yours 😁
Posted

I do strongly believe that organised religion is accountable for the judgemental attitudes that so often are related to religion and beliefs. In my simple view, God or Our Higher Power, or the Universe, loves everyone and does not judge anyone for their beliefs, sexual orientation or anything else. 

Yes, there are the ten commandments, five precepts or whatever a religion of choice calls it - but much of this is common sense within the bounds of sensible behaviour in society; like killing, stealing and the like. 

BDSM is consensual and enjoyed by the people engaging in it. If others do not understand nor accept that, then that is their choice but since I do not go around trying to condemn what they do, then they should show similar acceptance to my choices.

Posted
I’m in a class right now on gendering and aside from Kinsey’s infamous sliding scale - there is a wealth of research out there now about how we are biologically programmed with our desires and our attractions. So if we are images of God or created by him - I think that our twists and kinks are as they were intended. The only reason we live with these guilty feelings in these times is because of the Victorian era and her discomfort with all things sexual which spread from there through the puritans the Protestant religions the Catholics etc etc If you look at cultures throughout time sexuality and sexual desire has been celebrated and venerated ... early man ... the Egyptians ... the Romans ... in sure there are others I’m missing all engaged in orgies, polyamory, and other things now dubbed as “sinful”
  • 1 month later...
Posted

As I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, as a Christian and editor for a kink magazine, I sometimes struggle to marry the two sides of me together. It would make for a fascinating article!

Posted

In my preparation for religious life we didn't necessarily talk about sex all that often. Ya know, vow of chastity and all. But I remember in my Ethics class we talked about how sex was meant to be life giving. You could take that super literally sure but it's more important to see the abstract conclusion. 

God is love imho and being made from Love to Love means that when we act authentically and embrace our kinks and quirks we're giving life to something God loves.