world cup

Ma****

Posted

any thoughts, try and not be to harsh on for asking,ha ha

Robustlove
Posted
No judgement here for asking. For me the best/my favorite world cup to watch was Italia 90, but this has so far been the best world cup since then. So many smaller teams playing out of their skin and going much further than anyone expected and only one 0-0 draw in the group stages, so plenty of excitement, goals and nice to see many of the bigger and more arrogant teams being handed their asses and put out of the tournament early. The purist in me can see a Belgium/Brazil VS Croatia final, as I have a gut feeling Belgium will beat Brazil; but wouldn't it be a fairy tale ending to have Belgium VS England in the final and England take their revenge when both squads are at full strength? That's coming from a Scot too, but it would make it that much more magical in footballing terms for me.
Posted
I love football & I especially love big tournaments but I am one of the rare few that always hope England go out early doors so that I can enjoy all of the matches with no stress. Now that we’ve got as far as we have I am backing down from repeatedly saying ‘wish England would loose’ lol The win against Columbia was a bit of a shocker & to be fair we haven’t played any team which have put us to the test. The whole group was beatable. Everyone got excited when we beat Panama....the equivalent of a Sunday league team 🙄 so from here on in this is where we prove ourselves.
Posted

World Cup!!!!    -_-      Have I missed something??

Has been pretty enjoyable - good (in my eyes) to see a number of the 'old' gaurd' bigger teams go out and some of the others being so close to going.

The style of play is fairly samey - which is not always the best to watch - but that is the wya football has gone - Belgium look strong to me but then wtf do i know!

VAR is interesting - as is how it has got the players and officials reacting / not reacting - but i think it is good to see the decisions in the box being 'correct' on the whole.

Anyone for tennis?

Posted
What is 'World Cup' ? Totally passed me by. Mind you I have been locked in a cupboard for 6 weeks. Frankly dears I couldn't be less interested 😄
Lombardo43
Posted

For me I love it but what should you do if partner doesn't. Any interesting ideas. Maybe watch until a goals scored and then you have to score a goal with your partner(So to speak) before the next goal goes in. Sound s fun to me.Any other ideas?

Posted
18 minutes ago, Lombardo43 said:

For me I love it but what should you do if partner doesn't. Any interesting ideas. Maybe watch until a goals scored and then you have to score a goal with your partner(So to speak) before the next goal goes in. Sound s fun to me.Any other ideas?

Just make sure you take it to 'extra time' and then go to 'penalties'

Posted

Being a football fan I would love to see England win it, but as they probably won't then going on past winners Brazil look most likely Belgium could be a good bet, but you never know, who would have thought Germany would go out in the group stage,

Posted

When Strictly (come dancing) comes around again, and those of us so inclined start talking sequins, heels, sexy legs, bossy tutors and Argentine Tango any of you guys whinge its not appropriate...I'm sooooo throwing this thread back in your faces 😁😛😈

Posted
1 hour ago, MsJax said:

When Strictly (come dancing) comes around again, and those of us so inclined start talking sequins, heels, sexy legs, bossy tutors and Argentine Tango any of you guys whinge its not appropriate...I'm sooooo throwing this thread back in your faces 😁😛😈

Strictly is a whole different ball game Miss (excuse the pun) i watch it & love it as well.

To the point, Would love England to finally win something.  Ain't going to happen though, (being realistic) either Brazil or France...

Robustlove
Posted
On 7/5/2018 at 7:34 AM, BigPolly said:

I love football & I especially love big tournaments but I am one of the rare few that always hope England go out early doors so that I can enjoy all of the matches with no stress. Now that we’ve got as far as we have I am backing down from repeatedly saying ‘wish England would loose’ lol The win against Columbia was a bit of a shocker & to be fair we haven’t played any team which have put us to the test. The whole group was beatable. Everyone got excited when we beat Panama....the equivalent of a Sunday league team 🙄 so from here on in this is where we prove ourselves.

I'm with you on loving the big football tournaments BigPolly. I was born in Scotland and support Glasgow Celtic but then the Scottish league has suffered from being a one horse race over the past decade and a two horse race the decades before, so I don't follow much league football of any kind during a year other than the Champions league. But those big tournaments like the African Nations, European Cup, Copa America, World Cup are always great fun to watch as you get to see all the most talented players in the space of a few matches. Although I am a Scot I also support all of the other home nations and the Republic of Ireland due to the Irish *** I have, so I'm lucky enough to be able to enjoy watching the games and wanting the home nations to win, but without being so invested that it's stressful for me to watch or see them loose. 

On 7/5/2018 at 9:23 AM, callipygian said:

Has been pretty enjoyable - good (in my eyes) to see a number of the 'old' gaurd' bigger teams go out and some of the others being so close to going.

The style of play is fairly samey - which is not always the best to watch - but that is the wya football has gone - Belgium look strong to me but then wtf do i know!

VAR is interesting - as is how it has got the players and officials reacting / not reacting - but i think it is good to see the decisions in the box being 'correct' on the whole.

I agree that the style of play has often been very samey, but that's the thing about the modern game, it's lost a lot of the defensive and tactical elements and gone more towards all out attack now as it's more flashy, exciting and marketable. I was on the fence about VAR to start with but have found that in the main it has actually worked really well for a big tournament, but I still don;t think I'd like to see it in regular league football. I think all those "old guard" team who have struggled and gone out so early and dramatically show that the gap between the top teams and the rest of the world is narrowing now and it makes for more exciting, interesting and unpredictable results. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, Lombardo43 said:

If your partner is not keen on it then maybe a compromise could work in that for every game you watch, you either treat and take your partner out for a dinner, lunch etc, or draw up a list of gifts you know she would like to receive and each time you watch a game she get's to choose one from the list? That might make your game time a bit easier on both of you.

5 hours ago, wilkie said:

Being a football fan I would love to see England win it, but as they probably won't then going on past winners Brazil look most likely Belgium could be a good bet, but you never know, who would have thought Germany would go out in the group stage,

I think Belgium may surprise Brazil tonight but either of them are a good bet if they win,although France if they beat Uruguay will be a tough opponent to beat. I think if England can win convincingly against Sweden then it should give them a big enough boost that they will be a threat to the winner of the Croatia VS Russia game. If it's Croatia they end up playing they will be playing a team who have so far been one of the best 4 in the tournament but after them breaking the curse of going out on penalties then anything is possible.

1 hour ago, MsJax said:

Personally I don't mind Strictly as the dancing is often of a very high standard so you'll never hear any complaints from me as I love watching anyone dance well and spin their partners around a room, although I'd rather be the one doing the dancing. Now if they had a Strictly World Cup featuring dancers from every country of the globe that's a show I would love to see. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Robustlove said:

I agree that the style of play has often been very samey, but that's the thing about the modern game, it's lost a lot of the defensive and tactical elements and gone more towards all out attack now as it's more flashy, exciting and marketable. I was on the fence about VAR to start with but have found that in the main it has actually worked really well for a big tournament, but I still don;t think I'd like to see it in regular league football. I think all those "old guard" team who have struggled and gone out so early and dramatically show that the gap between the top teams and the rest of the world is narrowing now and it makes for more exciting, interesting and unpredictable results. 

Very much the modern game - which frustrates me (from a viewing point) - but on the bigger picture, it is good to see the 'world' becoming a slightly more 'level' playing field.

Also I said I thought Belgium looked strong - i actually think i meant France - however Belgium don have a lot of potential if they all play well together.

Posted
On 7/4/2018 at 9:56 AM, wilkie said:

DO you see what you've done now................   ;)    World Cup v's Strictly WAR!!!!!!!!

Posted
4 hours ago, MsJax said:

I shall view that programme from a different perspective , next time ;)   Thanks

Posted

Think this has gone completely off topic now.

hmmm when Strictly does come back on I'm going to throw it off thread by mentioning the Euro qualifiers,,, lol.

i remember the original come dancing (Boring) what drew me in to Strictly was the word STRICTLY..... 😅🐷🏐

Posted
2 hours ago, callipygian said:

DO you see what you've done now................   ;)    World Cup v's Strictly WAR!!!!!!!!

if I watch strictly it is more for non munch chat, all the long legs wrapped around their partners, mmmm

Posted

Been working night shift so bed soon & up for the match. C'mon England.

I fully expect us to lose (years & years of expectations blown away) ...

It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming foot on balls ,,,,, errr lol...

Enjoy everyone, fingers & toes crossed.

Posted

well Brazil out, bang goes my theory, and my sweepstake , lol, so the cup stays in Europe, but where, France, not again surely, Belgium, well they have just beaten Brazil after Naymar s acting, why,?

Russia v Croatia, beat the hosts,hmmmm. Hard to call, and us v Sweden, well we could do it, to get to semi-final, now that would be good.

Posted

I think France are a finalist, they've not won it for 20 years and have a lot of emerging talent.

I think a rematch of England v Belgium for the third place - so playing each other twice in farcical matches.

So, I think the Croatia/Russia winner will be France's opponents.

Posted
On 7/4/2018 at 9:56 AM, wilkie said:

Life is beautiful

Posted (edited)

Get a new partner, some things are far too important to compromise & football is one of those things 😂

Edited by BigPolly
Posted

so Croatia it is, it could even be England v Belgium final, they would have to send out their first teams for that, our defender's will be very aware of their attack, premier league players, ok I've got carried away now,lol

Posted

Hmmm, come Wednesday,  give her your credit card  (stupid idea i do know) or some cash about an hour before kick-off. 

Calmly close the door when she goes shopping & LOCK IT....

Get the beer out, put your shirt on & PRAY......

Posted

well not long to find out, less than a week, A Belgium,England final would be good, but then again France England, of course Croatia could upset us, lets hope not, just maybe,it could come home, or maybe not, lol,see I've been around to long to make to many rash statement's.I'll shut up now. Unless,,,,,,,,,