Kayak

Ch****

Posted

Any 1 into kayaking or canoeing. 

Iv been thinking about buy a kayak for a few months now.

Been looking into it and there not cheap but you can get inflatable 1s cheaper.

I live near canals so would be able to go on them.a fair bit

Posted
So just do it.
But before drive onto a canal, try to get known the cayak on a silent part of a river an get known the Eskimoroll and some basic strokes.

And you will need some stuff for your own safety an the canal like lifejacket or helmet.
Posted
I have bought an inflatable one for me and my son and surprised how secure and comfy it is easy to transport and store at home as well compared to hard shell ones
Posted
57 minutes ago, Charms said:

Any 1 into kayaking or canoeing. 

Iv been thinking about buy a kayak for a few months now.

Been looking into it and there not cheap but you can get inflatable 1s cheaper.

I live near canals so would be able to go on them.a fair bit

Hi charms if you're going to try kayaking I would recommend seeing if there is a club in your area as they can teach you all the safety aspects and they will have helmets and life jackets 😊 

Posted
3 hours ago, Willow75 said:

Hi charms if you're going to try kayaking I would recommend seeing if there is a club in your area as they can teach you all the safety aspects and they will have helmets and life jackets 😊 

The inflatable ones are actually a lot better than you'd expect but if you haven't really done a lot of kayaking I would definitely take Willows' advice & find a local club - there are usually a few around when you have a good canal network near by

Posted
13 hours ago, Phipser said:

So just do it.
But before drive onto a canal, try to get known the cayak on a silent part of a river an get known the Eskimoroll and some basic strokes.

And you will need some stuff for your own safety an the canal like lifejacket or helmet.

Surely a canal is a better place to practice on than a river. No current to take you away if you get things wrong, shallow, lower speed limits than rivers.

Also the Eskimo roll, whilst a useful thing to know how to do, is a bit advanced for a complete beginner. I was kayaking for years and never mastered it. 

Posted

Ty for the advice.  I will defiantly be getting safety equipment.  Like a life jacket and helmet. 

I will go into it like I do kink..safety 1st an as much knowledge  as I can.

Sadly there's no clubs or anything near me . I guess it's not something people would realy do in my area. 

I did see some in Birmingham when I was on a canal boat trip.  So I'm going to look into what Birmingham as to offer. 

I'd love a canal boat.  No idea why just would. 

I do loveva walk along my local canal with my dog 

Posted
6 hours ago, Lockfairy said:

Surely a canal is a better place to practice on than a river. No current to take you away if you get things wrong, shallow, lower speed limits than rivers.

Also the Eskimo roll, whilst a useful thing to know how to do, is a bit advanced for a complete beginner. I was kayaking for years and never mastered it. 

Well, around my place every natural river is a wayyyy slower than every canal. 🙊🙈😅

And the Eskimoroll is not that hard. The easiest one is the Back deck roll. Try this one.

Posted
6 hours ago, Charms said:

I'd love a canal boat.  No idea why just would. 

I do loveva walk along my local canal with my dog 

Wanting a canal boat as a perfectly sensible thing to want. I live on one – it’s wonderful.

Good luck with finding everything you need. I hope you have a great time learning.

Posted

I would recommend sit on top kayaks (as opposed to sit ins) - for me they are the most stable and easiest to use, comfortable and good fun as well.   Only drawback is how you would transport it to the water!   Have a look at Ocean kayaks for a reasonable brand...  there are others too ;) 

Which is where an inflatable kayak might be better...... inflatables (in my experience) tend to be flat bottomed and as such don't cut through the water as much... so you tend to end up zig zagging along and get caught by any wind......  however I have seen a lot of people having fun in inflatables (so reckon they would be worth a shout) ... and they are easier on the wallet ;)

• 5 months later...
Posted

Bit late in the day! My reply that is as only just came to this site! But I was a canoe/kayak coach in my youth. I use to help run week-long camping /canoeing expeditions down the River Wye in the UK. I Hope you got into this great sport its very easy now with sit-on canoes and lots of cheaper inflatable canoes and kayaks out there to suit all budgets. Happy to offer any advice you don't need much kit just a good buoyancy aid or if you are a weak swimmer maybe a lifejacket there is a big difference! The canal or a slow inland river is a great place to start and learn the basics. Happy to help and if you would like to try it I have all the gear. I have to say I'm a fair-weather kayaker canoeiest these days and limit my outings to spring and summer on into the early autumn. But more than happy to help. Good luck and hope you are enjoying it if you took it up. Kev.