Play Baseline ideas for new Sub

Posted
Does anyone use baselines to better understand or make it easier for a sub to identify their comfort levels? I've had success with these baselines, but was curious if others use similar categories or use lists, or what a best practice is for identifying initial comfort levels for a new sub. Below are a few I made up for reference.

Pet play baseline categories: 1-collars/leashes, 2-tails/ears, 3-simple costumes, 4-fur suits, 5-everything

Little play baseline categories: 1-nicknames/talk/attitude, 2-stuffies/trinkets/blankies/books, 3-simple outfits/costumes, 4-padding, 5-everything

*** play (masto), baseline categories: 1-names (non degrading)/talk/attitude, 2-spanking/twisting, 3- shackles/bonds/whips/floggers, 4-electro/racking, 5-everything

*** play baseline categories: 1-names (degrading)/talk/attitude, 2-shameful costumes, 3- public *** (dress up only), 4-public *** extreme, 5-everything
Posted
There are some excellent questionnaires available on-line which effectively do what you are suggesting - they list various elements/activities of BDSM which you can rate 1-5 in terms of interest/comfort/whatever - some of them run to hundreds of activities and include everything from the mild to the extreme.
They're great to use in a variety of ways by both dominants and submissives:
- Can be used by an individual to get an idea of their own specific interests and limits.
- Can be used by both dominant and submissive in a new "relationship" or even discussing a potential "relationship" to see where common interests lie or to provide a framework and limits for that relationship.
- Are great for discovering new things you may not have heard of or thought about to research more.
I often advise their use to anyone asking for advice about the lifestyle.
Googling "BDSM questionnaire" will find them.
Posted
Oh that's interesting I never been baselined before but it seems a good process
Posted
Yes, I’ve used these ideas many times. They quite rightly help to identify the levels to which a player can relate, and are sensible points from which to introduce new and suitable materials, toys, tools, garments, etc. They promote the important discussions and conversations. They give reasons behind questions, and opportunities to try out new experiences. On some occasions, it can be like shopping for some appropriate item and having a chance to handle, try on, get a feel for how it might be used, all the time talking openly, respectfully and with consideration for the sub, thereby helping their confidence, because if all a sub has done is look at images, watched videos, read books, this baseline may well be the very first opportunity that’s offered to them, to physically meet the previous visual representations of their interest. It’s make or break, and the last thing that’s wanted is for the presentation of such, to break their interest and potential enthusiasm.
Hopefully, the more that the baseline is an open opportunity to discover, through an informal introduction, and questioning, the greater the joint understanding of both the dominant and the submissive.
Posted
Yes, I have a list which lists an array of different activities.
Each one then has the following:
Tried/not tried
A score 1-5 (5 being favourite) for those tried
Soft/hard limit/curious about for those not tried.
Posted
Yes I have used them many times and it is very helpful. I have also had subs redo them after say a year and see what has changed. It's great great for finding new limits and boundaries to push..
Posted
1 hour ago, Daddy-n-Paddy said:
Yes I have used them many times and it is very helpful. I have also had subs redo them after say a year and see what has changed. It's great great for finding new limits and boundaries to push..

I like the idea of revising the list after a while, thank you 😊

Posted
7 hours ago, CumbriaLeather said:
Yes, I’ve used these ideas many times. They quite rightly help to identify the levels to which a player can relate, and are sensible points from which to introduce new and suitable materials, toys, tools, garments, etc. They promote the important discussions and conversations. They give reasons behind questions, and opportunities to try out new experiences. On some occasions, it can be like shopping for some appropriate item and having a chance to handle, try on, get a feel for how it might be used, all the time talking openly, respectfully and with consideration for the sub, thereby helping their confidence, because if all a sub has done is look at images, watched videos, read books, this baseline may well be the very first opportunity that’s offered to them, to physically meet the previous visual representations of their interest. It’s make or break, and the last thing that’s wanted is for the presentation of such, to break their interest and potential enthusiasm.
Hopefully, the more that the baseline is an open opportunity to discover, through an informal introduction, and questioning, the greater the joint understanding of both the dominant and the submissive.

You are so well spoken 😁, I just always want to do right by those I lead and I guess I needed this 😅, thank you