Why can you no longer report profiles for "financial interests"?

Taskmaster55

Posted
2 hours ago, HatfieldMaster said:

As i said previously, sites like this benefit from there being a certain level of fake accounts so there is no incentive to try it.

in the olden days (ha) what sites used to do is charge you to be able to message anyone at all.   This did give great incentive for fake/scam profiles because they could get *** out of people to then have a fake chat

this got blown open after the Ashley Maddison hack (another reason why people wouldn't upload IDs to dating sites)

this caused a lot of distrust in sites, so they had to switch away from that model and help build confidence that they weren't paying to chat to bots

while online dating is largely unregulated - card companies do take an interest and if they are unhappy with how a site conducts business they can charge higher rates (making it more expensive for the site to run) or even completely withdraw support (despite not being predominantly dating, fetlife lost card support for a bit and had to make a lot of changes before they got it back) 

the payment processors can and will take an interest that a site is not being dishonest (i.e. charging people to chat with fake profiles) or permitting illegal activity (in this case, advertising paid services to people in the US) 

So yeah, ultimately the incentive is that if you're not doing enough - the banks will financially penalise you. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

so why don't any others

imagine how far someone would eclipse all others if they could assure they were "fake free"

Because other sites aren't infected to the same amount as this site, so they have no reason to. The scammers will go to popular sites as that's where they will be more profitable. Just like most men/subscribers will go to the site where there are more users as that is where there's the best chance of meeting people.

Posted
2 minutes ago, HatfieldMaster said:

Because other sites aren't infected to the same amount as this site, so they have no reason to. The scammers will go to popular sites as that's where they will be more profitable. Just like most men/subscribers will go to the site where there are more users as that is where there's the best chance of meeting people.

That's certainly not my experience nor from many others I have talked to.  Sites like Alt and bdsmdate are in my experience riddled with fake profiles or scammers.

Posted
12 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

where else asks for your ID when shopping online?  Even if you order booze they only check your ID on delivery

Mobile phone companies verify your ID and do credit checks. Gambling sites ask for ID verification. Sites like Paypal ask for verification (via bank account) etc so don't tell me that ID is never asked for or checked.

Posted
17 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

I used to be a fetmod.  I can confirm they DO.  They do a Hell of a fucking lot.

And yet you fail to tell me one thing that they do to prevent fakes/scammers?

Posted
2 minutes ago, UK_Knight said:

That's certainly not my experience nor from many others I have talked to.  Sites like Alt and bdsmdate are in my experience riddled with fake profiles or scammers.

Alt is like fetish.com - a dominant market player. You only have to look their site proudly claiming how many users they have (which of course includes millions of dead/deleted accounts). And bdsmdate is a free site, so not comparable at all.

Posted
14 minutes ago, HatfieldMaster said:

And yet you fail to tell me one thing that they do to prevent fakes/scammers?

NDA

Posted
16 minutes ago, HatfieldMaster said:

Mobile phone companies verify your ID and do credit checks. Gambling sites ask for ID verification. Sites like Paypal ask for verification (via bank account) etc so don't tell me that ID is never asked for or checked.

you didn't like my question so are giving your own answer

Posted
21 minutes ago, HatfieldMaster said:

but they do have reason to, future proofing

while they don't have a problem now - if it's as easy as you and the other armchair experts seem to think, then control now will future proof.

Posted
2 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

NDA

Lol. Before it was "even if I knew the specific controls - I'm not going to give this information out on a public board for scammers to make note of to try to bypass"... and now you're saying you're implying that you do know, but can't say because of an NDA.

Posted
1 minute ago, HatfieldMaster said:

Lol. Before it was "even if I knew the specific controls - I'm not going to give this information out on a public board for scammers to make note of to try to bypass"... and now you're saying you're implying that you do know, but can't say because of an NDA.

I am saying.

I have signed a NDA.  There is stuff I know is done. And controls I know exist that I don't know what are. That even if the latter controls don't exist, I know that there is other stuff done.

But that even if I hadn't signed a NDA - I'm not stupid enough to write on a public forum how scammers/sellers/bots can bypass.

Posted
3 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

I am saying.

I have signed a NDA.  There is stuff I know is done. And controls I know exist that I don't know what are. That even if the latter controls don't exist, I know that there is other stuff done.

But that even if I hadn't signed a NDA - I'm not stupid enough to write on a public forum how scammers/sellers/bots can bypass.

Whatever. I have no wish to waste any more time talking to someone who is just going to toe the party line.

Posted
2 minutes ago, HatfieldMaster said:

Whatever. I have no wish to waste any more time talking to someone who is just going to toe the party line.

thank fuck for that :) 

Posted
This seems to be turning into a very much circular discussion and one that has gone way off track from the OP which was querying why "Financial Interests" had been taken off the list of reportable reasons which it hasn't - though may have disappeared briefly.
Beyond that think it can be summarised as follows:
- It would be preferable if scammers/fakes didn't exist
- There are no completely foolproof and 100% guaranteed methods of preventing scammers/fakes
- If users protected themselves better and were more guarded against possible scammers it wouldn't be a bad thing.
- The site does what it can to protect genuine users but that has to be balanced against keeping the site open enough to attract those genuine users in the first place.
- Will scammers ever go away, most definitely not - can we as users to more to protect ourselves from them? Most definitely yes
Posted
1 minute ago, eyemblacksheep said:

thank fuck for that :) 

And there you have it people - this is exactly the attitude this site has to any debate on fake/scam profiles.

Posted
2 minutes ago, gemini_man said:

This seems to be turning into a very much circular discussion and one that has gone way off track from the OP which was querying why "Financial Interests" had been taken off the list of reportable reasons which it hasn't - though may have disappeared briefly.
Beyond that think it can be summarised as follows:
- It would be preferable if scammers/fakes didn't exist
- There are no completely foolproof and 100% guaranteed methods of preventing scammers/fakes
- If users protected themselves better and were more guarded against possible scammers it wouldn't be a bad thing.
- The site does what it can to protect genuine users but that has to be balanced against keeping the site open enough to attract those genuine users in the first place.
- Will scammers ever go away, most definitely not - can we as users to more to protect ourselves from them? Most definitely yes

Agree with you on 1, 2, 3 & 5, but not 4... but we're not going to see eye to eye so happy to end it there.

Posted
1 minute ago, HatfieldMaster said:

And there you have it people - this is exactly the attitude this site has to any debate on fake/scam profiles.

I don't work for the site any more, nor am affiliated in anyway.  My comments and views on this profile are, and have always been, my own.  

there's a lot you've chosen to ignore and cherry pick - and to the point that - I'm not sure why you'd want to be here if you believe it's that bad.

My own view is. It's impossible to be perfect in an imperfect solution and, there is a constant balancing act.   But, there is compliance the site must, and does, follow.

Posted
I’m actually here to find someone who can guide me explore and learn and figure paying for the app should be a good way to find people, however I only find…. Well no point in talking about it, so I’ve just decided to cancel my subscription and maybe this lifestyle isn’t for me lol maybe I’m just too weird
Posted
4 hours ago, MasterDamon said:

I’m actually here to find someone who can guide me explore and learn and figure paying for the app should be a good way to find people, however I only find…. Well no point in talking about it, so I’ve just decided to cancel my subscription and maybe this lifestyle isn’t for me lol maybe I’m just too weird

you're listed as "Master" but want people to help you learn and guide you.

I'm not quite as stuck about titles as some folk can be, but a Master suggests you've, well... already Mastered it.  It's most likely to cause confusion.  

And it might not be the lifestyle isn't for you.  Just, maybe there's approaches to the lifestyle that can be improved.  Obviously everyone is new and starts somewhere, but expecting someone else to guide you places emotional labour on them.

In this scenario I'd maybe suggest taking time for your own learning and having an approach that fits your current skills. It's especially hard to find someone as a new/inexperienced Dom if you're looking purely from a D/s side 

Posted
I agree however when I signed up I wasn’t sure about the name so I ran with it, I have done research and read what you just mentioned about titles and if I got to reading that first I would have waited on the profile name till I figured out a different profile name now it’s kinda late to change it but if there is I’m not sure yet how to, and in my research I also read to find people in the community and ask questions and that I would find people willing to help
Posted
5 hours ago, MasterDamon said:

I also read to find people in the community and ask questions and that I would find people willing to help

yes, that's true. But for example - asking questions on forums, and reading other threads etc is a form of community help. Start a thread and ask a question and people will help on their own time if they have energy.  Go to munches and make friends, you will get community support.

Asking an individual for help or guidance in a private DM isn't asking for community support, it's asking labour of the other person.

And this is something there's learning in itself - DMing someone is like "hey, stranger I've never met - give me some time to help me" whereas asking on a forum gets voices from a community - or, of course, if similar questions have been asked they can make research learning themselves.

To get support from a community you have to show willingness to engage with community.  

Posted
Thank you, I’m greatful for the advice and I will, also I apologize for hijacking your post, didn’t mean to, I was feeling rather scammed I was approached by someone who was trying to ask for *** and asking me to go to her OF page, another was blocked by the app and a third was blocked for not following code of conduct what ever that meant
Posted
3 hours ago, MasterDamon said:

Thank you, I’m greatful for the advice and I will, also I apologize for hijacking your post, didn’t mean to, I was feeling rather scammed I was approached by someone who was trying to ask for *** and asking me to go to her OF page, another was blocked by the app and a third was blocked for not following code of conduct what ever that meant

it's quite ok - and, I'm going to tell you the problem in general.   

Generally speaking the scammers, the sellers, etc. always reply.  You reach out to them and it's boing... "Oh, I'm not on here often - but we can chat on my OnlyFans I'm there a lot" - a common grumble on multiple sites (if that happens here, report the conversation and hit ignore) or sometimes outright asking for *** (same applies) or sometimes a bit more subtle "I'm not on here that often, we can chat on hangouts/kik/whatsapp/whatever" and in that case they want to take you off site (so they can continue the grift if they get kicked off here) but on it's own it's not something the site can take action on cos "let's talk on.... wherever" isn't against tou (else anyone who swapped phone numbers would fall foul) and any grift which happens off site isn't part of the site's duty or responsibility.

It does help a lot to be more selective on who you reach out to, it makes a big difference.