Collars on Pup?

SouthTopDog

SouthTopDog
Posted

Okay. Can I get some advice on collars when concerned with puppy play? I am aware that collars have symbolic nature, and sometimes the type can tell what kind of meaning they have. 

However, here's the dilemma. Could I collar myself (I am not owned or handled) if I am a Beta/Stray? If so, what type of collar should I get? What type basically says, "I am a pup with no committed owner"? What shops could you recommend for the type suggested if you know. (I am allergic to nickel)

Posted

basically...

there's not really *much* meaning on different types of collars.  Sometimes someone might present someone with two collars, one maybe plain/basic they're told is a "training collar" and one much nicer they're told is the one to earn.   The "training collar" might be shared between a few subs/etc if the person is training or playing with more than one - but, generally, there's little meaning.

Self-Collaring I've seen broached as an idea which is basically a pledge to say you're committed to looking after yourself - but, also, in puppy play having a collar seems pretty standard.

What you could do is have a name tag on the collar, either an actual inscribed one with either your name or a word on, or even something prominent like "Stray - Open to a Good Home" or something like that. (Though - of course, advertising your availability can somewhat be counter productive) 

cautiousswitch
Posted

Perhaps something a little worn looking or old.  An owned puppy who is into full time collar wear would be expected by their owner to take care of their collar.  Something a little more ragged looking might symbolize that you are a stray.

I would imagine  from an owner point of view that if they cared about the collar type then it would reflect  more the puppy type which might be tied to other aspects of play.  Sissification might be a pink collar or some design you would expect on a lap dog.  A studded collar might go on a puppy that is expected to be a little more tough.

• 1 year later...
Posted

From what I know if they have a padlock or some sort of sign even dog tags saying that they are owned. They have an owner and is owned and not looking. That the only way we can tell. I’m a stray and have ordered my self a collar but not found anything I like or connected to yet.