Fetish Wear in Movies and TV

Phoenyx

Posted

Here is a fun one:  What is the best fetish outfit that you have seen in a popular movie or TV show?  Think about the one that most caught your attention.  Or, was it more than one?

From what I recall, fetish wear in "mainstream media" seemed to peak between 1995 and 2010.  This appeared to coincide with the huge popularity of the fetish scene in the late 90's.  Still, fetish wear in movies and TV were not limited to those years.  What observations have you noticed?

I was inspired to post this, after watching some old episodes of Stargate SG-1.  It was the first episode of Season 9 ("Avalon") when Vala (played by Claudia Black) made her return.  She was wearing a full black-leather Domina outfit, that would make a lot of pros jealous.  I can't post any links.  But, a search for "SG-1 Vala Leather" should give good results.  Select "Images" to see what I mean.

Posted
Two obvious answers coming right up 🙂

Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman outfit in Batman Returns
Some of Diana Rigg's outfits in her Emma Peel role in The Avengers
Posted

I might come back to this once I've had a good think, but my gut reaction has to be Maggie Smiths' Black outfit with the purple trim from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, so many gorgeous clothes in that film, (I may have to go on a vintage sewing pattern hunt)..and some wonderful quotes too.

Thank you for inspiring the recollection 😊

Posted
7 minutes ago, MzJax said:

I might come back to this once I've had a good think, but my gut reaction has to be Maggie Smiths' Black outfit with the purple trim from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, so many gorgeous clothes in that film, (I may have to go on a vintage sewing pattern hunt)..and some wonderful quotes too.

Thank you for inspiring the recollection 😊

Oh good call MzJax - too often we overlook the understated

Posted
6 minutes ago, gemini_man said:

Oh good call MzJax - too often we overlook the understated

You mentioned Diana Riggs Avengers outfits so I knew you'd understand the vibe 🥂, some of hers were definitely in your face sexy and others that understated sexy, I wonder which she preferred wearing 🤔

Posted
18 hours ago, gemini_man said:

Some of Diana Rigg's outfits in her Emma Peel role in The Avengers

Blast from the past!  I had almost forgotten about that.  I remember watching The Avengers many years ago.  In particular, I recall Diana Rigg wearing what appeared to be a full leather catsuit.  I could never tell for sure, as back then (late 60's) video transfers of British shows to American TV were not that great.  Plus, I was seeing it on a low-res B&W TV.  I never knew if it was genuine, or some faux material.

Posted
17 hours ago, MzJax said:

I was not familiar with that show.  So, I had to research images.  I recall you asking about methods of sewing leather.  Were you considering making some of these outfits in leather?  Or, recreating them just as they were in the show?

Posted
007 Bond films, Barbarella (Original) Yes... Diane Rigby in "The Avengers" wore black leather catsuit and if I recall various one colour catsuits too.
Posted
My apolgies for not introducing myself from the UK lol.🤐🤐
Posted
On 9/11/2021 at 4:06 PM, Phoenyx said:

I was not familiar with that show.  So, I had to research images.  I recall you asking about methods of sewing leather.  Were you considering making some of these outfits in leather?  Or, recreating them just as they were in the show?

I was the late 60s I think, its weird thinking of the decade I was born into being vintage 😱

I've made a couple of bits with faux leather, nothing fancy.. a pencil skirt, and a blazer dress, my skills aren't good enough yet to risk on genuine leather, it's so pricy, and actually really difficult to find patterns that can work for leather making too..in the meantime I've just been practicing my sewing, I was an almost complete novice when I started slowly slowly getting better 😊

Theres a couple I think would transfer beautifully to leather, but at the same time, I'm the wrong shape to carry that off, so I'll probably stick to more conventional materials.

Posted
4 hours ago, MzJax said:

my skills aren't good enough yet to risk on genuine leather

There is a trick that I did, early-on.  Get a cheap, heavy material (like canvas).  Use this to make a test garment of the style you want.  Old denim can work, as well.  This test garment can be taken-in or let-out, as needed to get the proper fit and shape.  Allow it to fit a little loosely.  Once the fit is achieved, mark the seams, and use these pieces as your leather pattern.

Yes, the price of leather was one of my early frustrations.  It did take a couple abysmal failures, before I got it right.  In the end though, it was worth the expense and effort.  Good luck.

Posted
On 9/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, Phoenyx said:

There is a trick that I did, early-on.  Get a cheap, heavy material (like canvas).  Use this to make a test garment of the style you want.  Old denim can work, as well.  This test garment can be taken-in or let-out, as needed to get the proper fit and shape.  Allow it to fit a little loosely.  Once the fit is achieved, mark the seams, and use these pieces as your leather pattern.

Yes, the price of leather was one of my early frustrations.  It did take a couple abysmal failures, before I got it right.  In the end though, it was worth the expense and effort.  Good luck.

I may give that a go, thank you for the tip 😊

• 2 months later...
Posted
Go watch American Horror Stories RUBBERWOMAN for a treat 😉😈