Whats the Difference between Kink And Fetish

Posted

I'm new to this

What's the Difference between Kink And Fetish?

Posted
Hi... It's great that you're trying to expand your mind and I really don't want to discourage you.
But frankly, a question like yours could easily be answered by opening a dictionary or even just by googling it.
So... Do a bit of work by yourself first, eh?
Posted
10 minutes ago, PeggableFucker said:

Hi... It's great that you're trying to expand your mind and I really don't want to discourage you.
But frankly, a question like yours could easily be answered by opening a dictionary or even just by googling it.
So... Do a bit of work by yourself first, eh?

What an absolutely horrid thing to say to someone just starting out! Most of what we talk about on here can be googled and researched in other ways - but the community likes to teach. In fact it's positively encouraged that those who have gone before pass their knowledge on. It's responses like yours that put newbies off asking questions and getting involved. My mother always told me if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing! Maybe you should consider that lesson!.

OP, well done for posting this! I'll respond to your question separately. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, 4RCH said:

What an absolutely horrid thing to say to someone just starting out! Most of what we talk about on here can be googled and researched in other ways - but the community likes to teach. In fact it's positively encouraged that those who have gone before pass their knowledge on. It's responses like yours that put newbies off asking questions and getting involved. My mother always told me if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing! Maybe you should consider that lesson!.

OP, well done for posting this! I'll respond to your question separately. 

Fair enough... But may I point out that the existence of forums and FAQs is justified by questions like these.
If every newbie arrived with Q's like these, you wouldn't have enough hours in the day!

I was just encouraging the OP to do a little research by themselves first.
For you it's horrid. Boohoo...

Posted (edited)

In basic terms, a kink is something you enjoy doing (it may be sexual or not) but you can take it or leave it. Whereas a Fetish is a necessity and you MUST have it in order to get aroused or enjoy yourself sexually. 

Here's an example, I'm a sadist, I like causing my partner *** and ***, and I find it kinky and arousing, but I don't have to involve sadism every time I play and I can get aroused in other ways, so for me, sadism is not a Fetish. 

Edited by 4RCH
typos
Posted
1 hour ago, PeggableFucker said:

the existence of forums and FAQs is justified by questions like these.

this is a forum

Posted

So, yep, the two have defined terms as 4rch points out above.

But

(oh no!)

like a lot sometimes the terms become interchangeable or become more 'catch all'

Let's take, say, foot fetish

there are some people who cannot get aroused at all without foot play (either giving, or receiving) as part of sex or foreplay - that is definitely an example of a fetish

some people can, but might find foot play to either be arousing, or something that may add to or heighten their orgasm - and a lot of people then call that a fetish even though some would argue it is not (and by definition, it's probably not)

and then there are some who might find it arousing in certain situations - and that perhaps it becomes less about the feet and more about whatever the situation as a whole is.  

and then there are some who might not find it arousing, or might not actually be into a sexual side of play, but really enjoy doing it.   But some might still list it as a fetish because it is easier to explain.

---

I'm not sure if this is something which has helped - or not - but sites like fetlife doing a kinda "one size" fetish list keeps things simple in display but people list stuff in there they enjoy, but don't really find arousing.  

Like, incidentally - over the years I've met a lot of people who are clearly very much into taking heavy beatings, but I've never once  seen any  of the guys who can take a lot get erect - and of the ballbusting guys, rarely see anyone erect.  Mind, I say all this, what these folk then do hours after play back in the comfort of their homes thinking about what happened to them is a potential different story.

--

So, anyway. In short there is a difference, but don't really be too surprised if you see people using the terms interchangeable.  "I'm a foot fetishist" runs of the tongue a lot easier than "I'm a foot liker who can take it or leave it" and "foot kinkster" just sounds weird.  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

So, yep, the two have defined terms as 4rch points out above.

But

(oh no!)

like a lot sometimes the terms become interchangeable or become more 'catch all'

Let's take, say, foot fetish

there are some people who cannot get aroused at all without foot play (either giving, or receiving) as part of sex or foreplay - that is definitely an example of a fetish

some people can, but might find foot play to either be arousing, or something that may add to or heighten their orgasm - and a lot of people then call that a fetish even though some would argue it is not (and by definition, it's probably not)

and then there are some who might find it arousing in certain situations - and that perhaps it becomes less about the feet and more about whatever the situation as a whole is.  

and then there are some who might not find it arousing, or might not actually be into a sexual side of play, but really enjoy doing it.   But some might still list it as a fetish because it is easier to explain.

---

I'm not sure if this is something which has helped - or not - but sites like fetlife doing a kinda "one size" fetish list keeps things simple in display but people list stuff in there they enjoy, but don't really find arousing.  

Like, incidentally - over the years I've met a lot of people who are clearly very much into taking heavy beatings, but I've never once  seen any  of the guys who can take a lot get erect - and of the ballbusting guys, rarely see anyone erect.  Mind, I say all this, what these folk then do hours after play back in the comfort of their homes thinking about what happened to them is a potential different story.

--

So, anyway. In short there is a difference, but don't really be too surprised if you see people using the terms interchangeable.  "I'm a foot fetishist" runs of the tongue a lot easier than "I'm a foot liker who can take it or leave it" and "foot kinkster" just sounds weird.  

I'm glad you added to that. As someone who has lots of kinks but not one fetish, I could never have expanded in the way you have.

And it's a perfect example of why asking questions in forums such as this beats google every time!

Edited by 4RCH
Posted
3 hours ago, 4RCH said:

In basic terms, a kink is something you enjoy doing (it may be sexual or not) but you can take it or leave it. Whereas a Fetish is a necessity and you MUST have it in order to get aroused or enjoy yourself sexually. 

Here's an example, I'm a sadist, I like causing my partner *** and ***, and I find it kinky and arousing, but I don't have to involve sadism every time I play and I can get aroused in other ways, so for me, sadism is not a Fetish. 

That's really helpful 4rch.
Thank you

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eyemblacksheep said:

"I'm a foot fetishist" runs of the tongue a lot easier than "I'm a foot liker who can take it or leave it" and "foot kinkster" just sounds weird.  

Eyem, you can be so creative... foot kinkster was a good one.😅

Edited by kiseu
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
I guess my kinks are being used, dominant women, younger women, massaging feet back and neck, fucking pussy, rimming , femdom, Findom, and bondage. My fetish are eating/pussy worship, facesitting, getting pegged, being owned, knowing my role, and a good looking body
Posted
From a personal non-expert opinion kink revolves around human interaction(Dom and sub) were fetish revolves around objects(clothing, latex, rubber, hoods, masks, gloves, boots, etc.)