Celebrating Women's History Month

CopperKnob

Posted
To celebrate Womens History Month, I thought it would be nice to start a thread of women that have inspired you
Mine would be Lady Hale AKA the Beyonce of the legal professional
The first female President of the UK's Supreme Court.
She reformed numerous legislation to safeguard the most *** children and adults of our society
She wasn't afraid to speak her mind through her use of brooches, particulary when dealing with Iraq and Bozza
She was a staunch feminist, creating a coat of arms the motto of which means, 'women are equal to everything'
Posted
There are many inspiring women that I could name but shan't as simply providing a list of names would feel like doing them a disservice, plus I'm sure many of them may be named by others - so I'll leave my nomination to someone closer to home, someone that constantly inspired me my whole life, someone who supported me, but would also tell me firmly when I had done wrong, someone who was an example in so many ways, someone who never let things get her down, who met every challenge head on and rose to it, who time and time again fought past life's difficulties and came out on top....I lost her just over two years ago and not a day goes by that I don't miss her, but she truly was my rock and my guiding light but more than that she was my Mum.
Posted
Yesterday an absolute *** of nature and legend in the disability rights arena in the US passed away - Judith Heumann (you can see the beginning of the fight for disability rights and her part in it in the documentary Crip Camp on Netflix). I had the opportunity to meet her a number of times. She was amazing. My life and so many others’ lives are better for having known her and having been impacted by her work.
Posted

One name always immediately jumps right to the forefront of my mind when a subject such as this arises; Maya Angelou.

I'll never be able to put into words half as well as others have done the wonder of this woman, suffice it to say that she has stayed with and inspired me ever since reading "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" in our high school English lessons 💗

Posted

Jacinda Ardern springs to mind for me. Everything that I've seen of her seems intelligent, diligent and full of empathy.

Posted
Marie Curie. Pioneer in science. The first woman to win a Nobel prize and the only person to win a Nobel prize in 2 science categories. She’s still radioactive for the next 1500 years and honored as the first woman buried at the Panthéon in Paris nearly 60 years after her death.
Posted
So, as trite as it sounds, the woman I always hold in the forefront of my mind is my grandmother. The matriarch of our family. Even tempered, honest, warm, kind and beautiful. Took everything in her stride and someone is aspire to be like.

Followed very very closely by my mother. We’re nowhere near as close but she wasn’t much older than I currently am when her husband (my father) sustained life altering brain damage. She put her whole life on hold to be there for him and despite the fact he is no longer here she has never moved on. A love like that is something I can only dream of 😞
BruiseWayne
Posted (edited)

Not a really prominent figure, but Ernestine Shepherd is an 86 yr old bodybuilder who trains other elderly folks to be healthy and fit, and at one time was the oldest competitive female bodybuilder in the world. The kicker is she didn't even get started until she was in her 70s herself! This woman has REALLY inspired me. Until I saw her I, like most people, figured you were just supposed to get old and frail, and let your body wither away. Nope. That couldn't be further from the truth. It's actually quite the opposite. You can be healthy, fit, and swole all your life. And now because of her I plan to stay big n strong until the day I die. 💪💪💪

Edited by BruiseWayne
Posted
4 hours ago, CopperKnob said:

To celebrate Womens History Month, I thought it would be nice to start a thread of women that have inspired you
She reformed numerous legislation to safeguard the most *** children and adults of our society
She wasn't afraid to speak her mind through her use of brooches, particulary when dealing with Iraq and Bozza
She was a staunch feminist, creating a coat of arms the motto of which means, 'women are equal to everything'

She`s a former pupil of my old school, Richmond School in North Yorkshire. 

Posted
4 hours ago, CopperKnob said:

Posted
Just now, Ted1567 said:

Sorry, posted this twice by mistake.

Posted

Frances Kelsey, the Canadian-American pharmacologist who worked for the US Food and *** Administration during the 1960s. She was a reviewer who stubbornly refused to issue a licence for a new drug for morning sickness, believing it`s safety was in question because of inadequate research. This was despite huge pressure from the drug company. The drug in question was Thalidomide, and it`s largely thanks to her that it was never marketed in the US.

Posted
8 hours ago, Deviant_Ric said:
It has to be Rosa Parks for me. One day she’d just had enough. More balls than any politician.

Rosa Parks is definitely inspirational for me

Posted
8 hours ago, gemini_man said:
There are many inspiring women that I could name but shan't as simply providing a list of names would feel like doing them a disservice, plus I'm sure many of them may be named by others - so I'll leave my nomination to someone closer to home, someone that constantly inspired me my whole life, someone who supported me, but would also tell me firmly when I had done wrong, someone who was an example in so many ways, someone who never let things get her down, who met every challenge head on and rose to it, who time and time again fought past life's difficulties and came out on top....I lost her just over two years ago and not a day goes by that I don't miss her, but she truly was my rock and my guiding light but more than that she was my Mum.

Beautiful!

Posted
8 hours ago, StaindGlassHeart said:
Yesterday an absolute *** of nature and legend in the disability rights arena in the US passed away - Judith Heumann (you can see the beginning of the fight for disability rights and her part in it in the documentary Crip Camp on Netflix). I had the opportunity to meet her a number of times. She was amazing. My life and so many others’ lives are better for having known her and having been impacted by her work.

This isn't someone I've heard of before. I'll have a google. Thank you

Posted
8 hours ago, Aranhis said:

One name always immediately jumps right to the forefront of my mind when a subject such as this arises; Maya Angelou.

I'll never be able to put into words half as well as others have done the wonder of this woman, suffice it to say that she has stayed with and inspired me ever since reading "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" in our high school English lessons 💗

I think her books must have been on every schools curriculum. Hopefully they still are

Posted
7 hours ago, Ursa said:

Jacinda Ardern springs to mind for me. Everything that I've seen of her seems intelligent, diligent and full of empathy.

I'm not overly familiar with her but I recall that there was a lot of praise for her in relation to how she handled the pandemic. She came across so well in anything I saw of her via social media

Posted
6 hours ago, FatefulDestiny said:
So, as trite as it sounds, the woman I always hold in the forefront of my mind is my grandmother. The matriarch of our family. Even tempered, honest, warm, kind and beautiful. Took everything in her stride and someone is aspire to be like.

Followed very very closely by my mother. We’re nowhere near as close but she wasn’t much older than I currently am when her husband (my father) sustained life altering brain damage. She put her whole life on hold to be there for him and despite the fact he is no longer here she has never moved on. A love like that is something I can only dream of 😞

Yeah, my nanna was also someone who held the whole family together. It's so fragmented without her

Posted
6 hours ago, BruiseWayne said:

Not a really prominent figure, but Ernestine Shepherd is an 86 yr old bodybuilder who trains other elderly folks to be healthy and fit, and at one time was the oldest competitive female bodybuilder in the world. The kicker is she didn't even get started until she was in her 70s herself! This woman has REALLY inspired me. Until I saw her I, like most people, figured you were just supposed to get old and frail, and let your body wither away. Nope. That couldn't be further from the truth. It's actually quite the opposite. You can be healthy, fit, and swole all your life. And now because of her I plan to stay big n strong until the day I die. 💪💪💪

An ex introduced me to Ernestine Shepherd, just goes to show that age is not a disability

Posted
6 hours ago, Ted1567 said:

I would love to have had the opportunity to speak with her or heard her providing rationale for her decision making. She always came across as someone who had good analysis skills, level headed with an awareness of what was really happening in the big wide world

Posted
6 hours ago, Ted1567 said:

Frances Kelsey, the Canadian-American pharmacologist who worked for the US Food and *** Administration during the 1960s. She was a reviewer who stubbornly refused to issue a licence for a new drug for morning sickness, believing it`s safety was in question because of inadequate research. This was despite huge pressure from the drug company. The drug in question was Thalidomide, and it`s largely thanks to her that it was never marketed in the US.

Having worked with someone experiencing the impact of their mother taking this drug, I have a lot of respect for this decision. I think it's also a treatment for cancer?

Posted
Just simply, my mum.
She was unselfish, worked hard, graceful, gentle and loving. I miss her terribly.
BruiseWayne
Posted
2 hours ago, CopperKnob said:

An ex introduced me to Ernestine Shepherd, just goes to show that age is not a disability

That's really cool. She's very inspiring, yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Sadly we have just lost another empowering woman. Jacqueline Gold, most famous for being the executive chair of Ann Summers and Knickerbox; but also a passionate champion of women entrepreneurs, women in business and gender equality causes. Breast cancer takes too many lives from so many who still have so much to give, to achieve and to enjoy. 

"I  want to inspire women and girls the world over to be the best they can be helping them overcome the obstacles that stand in their way."

Jacqueline Gold 16/07/1960 ~ 16/03/2023