What is edge play?

Qui-

Posted
Just now, Lilivorydoll said:
I just find it simplifies things rather than trying to break everyone's individual kink down into separate sections and listings for everyone - because that's impossible to do! Anything which involves the breaking of the skin of course is "*** play".... regardless of the implement used 🤔

Good point!

Posted
Sorry I almost forgot this is for @Qui- "Hence why I want other opinions"
Posted

Hence why  the term "*** play" is a better description

Posted

*** Play is a type of edge play, but not all edge play is *** play. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Lilivorydoll said:
I just find it simplifies things rather than trying to break everyone's individual kink down into separate sections and listings for everyone - because that's impossible to do! Anything which involves the breaking of the skin of course is "*** play".... regardless of the implement used 🤔

That’s a good point..

Posted
But for me for over 40 years edge play has meant cutting with sharp things.. times change, and I seem to be a bit slower in following suit..
Posted (edited)

@eyemblacksheep I won't pretend to understand everyone's different kink regarding this kind of play but surely there has to be an element of *** in the sharp blade of a knife at some point ??

Edited by Lilivorydoll
See below!!
Posted
8 hours ago, eyemblacksheep said:

*** Play is a type of edge play, but not all edge play is *** play. 

@eyemblacksheep I won't pretend to understand everyone's different kink regarding this kind of play but surely there has to be an element of *** in the sharp blade of a knife at some point ??

Posted
I wonder if there were some inconsistencies in definitions across kink communities Quik. Especially decades ago. Perhaps edge play meant one thing in North America and a slightly different thing in Europe back in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc. and now it’s converged on all the kinks described above?
Posted
6 hours ago, Lilivorydoll said:

not for everyone.  

I'm into breath play, which comes under edge play, but I'm not into it for any element of ***.

Posted
6 hours ago, WyldKatt said:

I wonder if there were some inconsistencies in definitions across kink communities Quik. Especially decades ago. Perhaps edge play meant one thing in North America and a slightly different thing in Europe back in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc. and now it’s converged on all the kinks described above?

that's a big thing in kink in general.   and one thing why a lot of communication is always important.   "I'm into edge play", "great - what sort of edge play?" because even if someone is entirely meaning something with a sharp edge - there could still be implements which are in or out.

There was a lot of attempt to... kinda... standarise terms across the 90s and early 2000s - which doesn't *always* work.