What is edge play?

Qui-

Posted
Wikipedia has a different definition to what I have known edge play to be. That’s one of reasons I’m asking this question.
Posted
To me edge play is the use of the edge of a razor, scalpel, knife to cut.
Kinks involving high risks I consider cnc. 🤷‍♂️
Posted
7 hours ago, Qui- said:
To me edge play is the use of the edge of a razor, scalpel, knife to cut.
Kinks involving high risks I consider cnc. 🤷‍♂️

CNC is consensual non-consent. Most “high-risk” kinks do not involve CNC. Edge play is not just about play that involves tools capable of cutting.

Posted
3 minutes ago, MinnesotaMinx said:

CNC is consensual non-consent. Most “high-risk” kinks do not involve CNC. Edge play is not just about play that involves tools capable of cutting.

Submissiveguide.com says this about edge play:
“Edgeplay has three definitions. They [all] apply at the same time so if you are having an edge play discussion, make sure you know which definition you are using.

1. Edgeplay is SM play that involves a chance of harm, either physically or emotionally. It's also subjective to the players involved; what is risky for me might not be risky for you and visa versa. A few examples of edge play under this definition are fireplay, gunplay, rough body play including punching and wrestling, breath play and *** play.

2. Edgeplay can also literally mean play with an edge. Such examples of play are cutting, knives, swords and other sharp implements. These forms of edge play also fall under the broad term in #1.

3. Any practice which challenges the limits or boundaries of one or more of the participants.”

Posted
4 minutes ago, MinnesotaMinx said:

Submissiveguide.com says this about edge play:
“Edgeplay has three definitions. They [all] apply at the same time so if you are having an edge play discussion, make sure you know which definition you are using.

1. Edgeplay is SM play that involves a chance of harm, either physically or emotionally. It's also subjective to the players involved; what is risky for me might not be risky for you and visa versa. A few examples of edge play under this definition are fireplay, gunplay, rough body play including punching and wrestling, breath play and *** play.

2. Edgeplay can also literally mean play with an edge. Such examples of play are cutting, knives, swords and other sharp implements. These forms of edge play also fall under the broad term in #1.

3. Any practice which challenges the limits or boundaries of one or more of the participants.”

Author Stella Starlight wrote the following on this site:
“edge play refers to a whole class of kink activities that are especially risky - either emotionally, physically, or sometimes both. What counts as edge play isn’t a defined list, rather it’s whatever is edgy for the participants. Edge play typically includes breath play (anything that controls breathing,) knife play, *** play (needles, cutting, hooks, suspension etc.) and also taboo play like role-playing *** or other scenarios that can be psychologically triggering.”
Read the full post here: https://www.fetish.com/magazine/bdsm/ask-stella-edging-vs-edge-play/

Posted
Friday at 11:27 PM, giraut said:
I think edge play challenges the whole SSC side of things. I think, at least from Wikipedia and my experience, this is where RACK, PRICK, and IC come in. Understanding and consenting to the risk. Cnc could be added to edge play. I think it is somewhat subjective though.

Exactly. Edge play acknowledges that the “safe” part of “safe, sane, consensual” may not apply. And from a BDSM ethics perspective, a RACK framework is more appropriate (and necessary!)

Posted
But in my experience breath play , fire play, needle play, knife play, never had an umbrella term like edge play, edge play was a separate thing that involves playing with sharp edges..
it wasn’t till recently I heard it of it as an umbrella term for things. So I’m curious about other thoughts.
Posted
17 minutes ago, Qui- said:
But in my experience breath play , fire play, needle play, knife play, never had an umbrella term like edge play, edge play was a separate thing that involves playing with sharp edges..
it wasn’t till recently I heard it of it as an umbrella term for things. So I’m curious about other thoughts.

You keep saying “in your experience.” What experience is that exactly? As far as I can tell from the comments in this post, no one else shares the opinion you are holding.

Posted
From the comments I just see people getting it confused with edging, and a Wikipedia quotes, I don’t put much stock in Wikipedia,
You can put pretty much anything there.
Posted
4 minutes ago, Qui- said:

From the comments I just see people getting it confused with edging, and a Wikipedia quotes, I don’t put much stock in Wikipedia,
You can put pretty much anything there.

This feels less like a genuine question and more confrontational.  Jeneral_Whore, xAmarax, and MinnesotaMinx all gave answers that either were straightforward or quoted other sources.  I quoted Wikipedia because it is one of the few outside links we can provide.  There are numerous articles from different lifestyle webpages that agree with the descriptions given. You may not agree and that is your right.  But, if you’ve been in the lifestyle as long as you say then you’ve seen how language, practices, and the lifestyle itself have evolved.  Part of something as diverse and wonderful as BDSM is that it changes and grows.  So, to answer your first question succinctly, yes edgeplay includes knife play, but the term has evolved to include other practices including breath play, CNC, *** play, etc.

Posted
I don’t mean to be confrontational, I’m aware things change or can change over time, it’s just that this is the first I’ve heard of it meaning something other than what I’ve known. Hence I ask.
Thanks for responses I do appreciate and value everyone’s input.
Posted
Guess I am just behind the times a few years, and I did look at outside links as well, but they are from 2020, and late 2016 and up, so I just feel things have changed.
Anyway.. thanks once again I’ll adapt..😁😁
Posted

I think one of the things is a little bit in how people have different language and learning

but

obviously - edging and edge play are two very, very different things 

CNC does not have to be high risk.  It's typically more 'anything goes' which doesn't necessarily involve high risk at all

But edge play - is anything which is play "on the edge" of "what is deemed safe" - so it's the likes of breath play, knife play, fire play, etc.   that even though you shouldn't cut someone in knife play, or burn them in fire play - there is an acknowledgement that there is a heightened level of risk compared to a lot of other types of play.   There still should be mitigation - but the "accidents happen" when it comes to thing like those and more, comes with greater risk than say... corporal punishment, etc.

Posted
Looking at the Fet list in here it lists..
Knife play, fire play , breath play, edging, and edge play.. so is it separate or all of the above.
Posted
5 hours ago, Qui- said:

Looking at the Fet list in here it lists..
Knife play, fire play , breath play, edging, and edge play.. so is it separate or all of the above.

any or all.  

Except edging (unless, I guess, edging with vampire gloves while wearing kali's teeth)

if someone is into one or two, they might list them separately, if someone is into the risk/danger element of those and more they might say edge play as a collective. 

Posted
If I may add a suggestion here?? I call this type of play "*** play" therefore it does not get confused with edging! "*** play" basically is exactly what it says on the tin! - anything to do with "***" so it could be about weapons it could be about CNC could be anything kidnapping any kind of scenario where one party enjoys that thrill of being afraid!!
Posted
5 minutes ago, Lilivorydoll said:
If I may add a suggestion here?? I call this type of play "*** play" therefore it does not get confused with edging! "*** play" basically is exactly what it says on the tin! - anything to do with "***" so it could be about weapons it could be about CNC could be anything kidnapping any kind of scenario where one party enjoys that thrill of being afraid!!

This is an interesting idea. But I don’t think that all “edge play” is necessarily “*** play.” But maybe I’m wrong. I am not into needle play so maybe there is always an element of *** involved but that’s not the impression I get. But I would definitely consider any play that punctures the skin to be edge play.
I think *** play is really close though and you’re right about it being clear that it’s not edging.

Posted
I just find it simplifies things rather than trying to break everyone's individual kink down into separate sections and listings for everyone - because that's impossible to do! Anything which involves the breaking of the skin of course is "*** play".... regardless of the implement used 🤔