Questions about collars as a newbie sub

Posted

Hi, so I entered this culture through ***r collars which I initially intended to wear for fashion purposes. My Dom (Sir) saw them as being related to kink and BDSM and invited me to try it out. A year later and Sir and I are just starting out seriously in an extended D/S  relationship. I wear a ***r everyday both with and without Sir - a basic faux leather with an O-ring or D-rings attached as a sign of submission, fashion choice, and leather once being a strong identifier of gay men. 

Recently, I've been browsing the pet play aesthetic collars on etsy which look really cool and fun to wear and play with, for the same reasons stated above. I've researched a lot of stuff about training collars and the like and I'm a little confused??? Is it something that is necessary/strongly advisable to have a training collar or locked metal collar in a serious D/S relationship of any kind sexual or not?  Asking to get to know various opinions and standpoints.

Posted
Personally I think it comes down to your individual dynamic and what it means to your relationship. I have a day collar, bedtime collar and dress collar, I treasure them all and don't consider any a fashion item as such, they have meaning to me, an emotion behind them and what it means to wear them.
Posted

collars are something that people get caught up in protocol and symbolism - but really, it's what is cool for you.

Having a collar isn't necessary.  But, it can be fun, it can be symbolic, it can signify your relationship and what it means to you.

Like a "training collar" often signifies you're "under consideration" or working towards ownership or full collaring - but - it's not necessary if it doesn't work for you.

Mistress_Rebeca
Posted

In my opinion leather collars are not very durable, they start to stink rapidly if a sub wears them always, and faux-leather are even worse . All my subs always wear solid metal collars or, for non-interned subs, a metal thin collars, yet locked by me, for discretion reasons. Some of them were authorized to take them out for the night, most of them not, taking a collar out is for them rather a punishment.