The world turned upside down

smokerjim

Posted

Have you ever had something so bizarre happen that it felt like lunatics took control of the Matrix for a moment, or someone had slipped some "special" mushrooms into your lunch...

For those that don't know, I work in a Sainsbury's bakery, and I go to the counter to serve a gran and her granddaughter...

"Can I have a toffee pavlova (it's a meringue base, with a rising spiral of cream drizzled with a toffee sauce and some sprinkles of fudge) please? "

"Certainly, would you like anything else? "

"No thanks"

I grab a small box and a cake slice and start reaching down to get a pavlova, when the customer interrupts...

"Have you got another box?"

"?!....um, yeah, but it's the same height, it's only bigger in you can fit more items in it"

"Well, that box is the wrong colour! Have you got a plastic bag? "

(Ignoring the fact that Sainsbury's recently decided to massively reduce single use bags)

"Yes, but the cream will smear everywhere - you'd basically destroy the pavlova before you get to the till."

"Forget about it then - no sale!"

And the customer stomped off, with her granddaughter in her wake, as I stood there with the offending box in one hand, the cake slice in the other and my chin on the floor 

Posted

What can I say about it? Only that it wasn't you who had the "special mushrooms", but it was more likely her.

Posted

That is epically nuts. But I know what it's like to be on your side of the counter, I worked for most of my life in customer service - you could a book about customers and it'd sell under science fiction.

Posted

To quote an oft-used saying from Yorkshire: “There’s nowt funnier than folk!”