The Scorpion and the Frog

Cade

Posted

During it's travels, a scorpion found itself looking over a wide brook barring it's path. No matter how it tried, the water was just too rushing and deep for it to cross, which was quite a bother. Looking along the stoney edge, the scorpion spied a frog, sunning itself on some rocks and watching bugs. Even though the scorpion approached the frog slowly, the frog still became jumpy and tried to hurry off. Luckily, the scorpion addressed the skittish frog before it got out of earshot, and like all frogs, it liked to talk at and be talked to so it sat just away from the scorpion as to not be rude.

"Dear Frog! I see you are the friendly sort and I am at a terrible crux. You see, I am on this side of the brook when really, I should be on that side! It's really all a terribly bother...can I trouble you for a ride on your back? I am but a small creature compared to you, surely it would be no trouble, really," spoke the scorpion to the frog.

"I must confess, Scorpion, I am of the friendly sort, but I do not think it prudent for me to assist you. I mean, you are a scorpion, after all! I would fall prey to your sting just as any creature might, no matter the size. No, I do not think I can help you today," responded the frog to the scorpion.

The scorpion did not become disheartened, though. "Ah, but you see, Frog, you are quite safe from me. If I were to sting you while you help me cross the brook, than I would surely drown in these cold waters and die, too!"

"Well, that much is true...this stream is deep and wide. I would like to help you across, Scorpion; you're shiny and I think your legs will tickle my back. Climb on and I will get you across the water safely." So the scorpion did. The frog began swimming from one side to the other, careful not to lose the scorpion. The frog made it the middle before it needed to take a break, and it's gaze stuck upon a particularly juicy looking fly when it suddenly felt a sharp *** in its back. The numbness came on quickly. "Why did you sting me, Scorpion!?!" The frog croaked as it began to sink. 

"Oh, Frog, I thought you knew. I am a creature of my intrinsic nature. I cannot repress that nature any more than you and must accept the consequences of my decision to follow my instincts...and it is my nature to sting and cause ***," the scorpion offered the frog as it became submerged in the water.

{This is a personal retelling of an old fable, told by Cade.}

Posted (edited)

There are some fates worse than death; I'd count never experiencing your intrinsic nature one of them.

Edited by Cade
Posted
3 hours ago, DurhamBull2020 said:

And both died. the end

Life is a terminal disease we all suffer from.

The only thing in life that's guaranteed is that there are no guarantees and no one here is getting out alive...

(Cody Jinks)

Posted

I know this story! I love it too. We can't all escape our true nature... And I wonder if we even should try. Thank you for the reminder.

Posted
3 hours ago, Cade said:

There are some fates worse than death; I'd count never experiencing your intrinsic nature one of them.

I have so many responses to this.... so, so many....

Yes.

No.

Maybe, not always.

Posted

What’s the original fable called?

Posted

Posted
1 hour ago, Sweetboy17 said:

Posted (edited)

A very enlightening fable.  It's origins have been attributed to everywhere from Russian lore, to Native American culture.  The implications of this tale are so deep, it is no wonder that so many societies have tried to take credit for its creation.

This parable, of course, has a number of morals to teach.  One, is to get a handle on one's own nature.  Stinging those who attempt to help, will only cause the stinger to drown along with his victim.  Humans are far superior to arachnids.  So, humans can change their natures, if they truly wish to do so.

Another lesson might be directed at the potential Fogs of this world.  Be very wary of the Scorpions in your life.  It is in their nature to betray you, no matter how close of a friend they may claim to be.

There is a third significance to this story.  But, that one is best told by the far-lesser known sequel.  You see, Scorpion was a very cunning, devious, and conniving type.  He always ensured that he had an "out", no matter what the situation.  Consequently, Scorpion did not drown that day, as the original story would imply.  In fact, poor Frog had been far from the first martyr at Scorpion's hands.

Now, as the creatures of the forest gathered around the watering hole, Scorpion proudly boasted of his exploits.  He held his left claw aloft, openly displaying the notches that he had carved into it---one for each victim of his treachery.  Yet, with the same breath, Scorpion told everyone how awesome they were.  He called each by name, and showered them with shallow praise.  He then went into long, ambiguous, and flowery speeches on the great gift of "Trust", and how such trust should have no limits.  How could such a wonderful creature, possibly be guilty of evil?  And so, the memory of poor Frog was soon forgotten.

However, Scorpion failed to realize, that there were natures in this world, far greater and more powerful than his own.  Or, perhaps, he simply refused to realize.  So, one day, one of those natures, Karma, paid him a visit.  In a friendly way, she tried to warn Scorpion about the path that he was following.  Nothing but destruction and ***ful isolation lay down that road.

But, Scorpion just laughed at Karma.  Worse, he accused her of personal attacks, of demeaning his nature, of accusing him of being "a freak".  He told her exactly what she could do with her advice.  Chagrined, Karma simply left Scorpion to his fate.

It was not much later, that Scorpion met a new character, The Boot.  It was Boot, who soon turned Scorpion into nothing but a smear on the pavement.  Yet, even then, Scorpion did not find himself alone---as the Crows and Ravens attended his final resting place.

The moral of this story is, that Scorpion needs to clean-up his act, and start using his head as more than just a mannequin for a bondage hood.

Edited by phoenyx
Posted
4 hours ago, LazyPiratesBounty said:

Oh, thank u. I thought maybe OP changed the ***s or something when retelling it haha

Posted
6 hours ago, Sweetboy17 said:

Oh, thank u. I thought maybe OP changed the ***s or something when retelling it haha

It depends on the culture; I've heard it as the Samaritan and the Scorpion, and adversely, the Scorpion and the Fox.

Posted

@phoenyx A good parable is able to teach many lessons, while a great parable teaches each individual their own personalized lesson, and certainly, this is definitely among the most profound classic fables. For instance, despite the morals you mentioned, what I took from this tale is trust intrinsic design. Scorpions were created with two pinchers and an often poisonous stinger, these are the tools they are given to deal with the world around them. They did not choose it, they can only make the best of it. They have to accept it is their lot in life to cause ***, and yes, often find their demise at the cost of their nature.

I can think of worse ways to die than living my life to the fullest; many people think the best way to pass would be during sex, and for me, I hope my time comes when I'm inflicting ***. This is one of the times I am most happy, what a wonderful way to transcend this mortal existence! Plus, talk about a mindfuck...haha. Yes, this is how I hope I die.

I took a lesson from your addition to the story, as well. The moral I received is that people that suffer from ignorance and insecurity will instinctively try to "stomp out" what they don't understand and ***, and may feel justified in such aggression with no provocation. Thank you.

Posted
On 6/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, LazyPiratesBounty said:

I have so many responses to this.... so, so many....

Yes.

No.

Maybe, not always.

"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives." - Attributed to William Wallace.

Posted

@Cade

Agreed.

It took me nearly 50 years to be true to myself, who I really am.

It cost me everything. My marriage, my family, my daughter....

I'm lucky that I can still work on my relationships and there's been progress but my relationship with my daughter is gonna need a lot of work, honesty and time.

Was it a price worth paying? For me, yeah. I couldn't not but I'm not the only one paying the price.

I'm the scorpion, I think, but I'm the frog too. Can I be both?

Posted

It is in my nature to inflict ***. Both physically and emotionally.

I however have to suppress this desire that is ingrained in me. Because i care about my responsibilities.

as Cade said "There are some fates worse than death; I'd count never experiencing your intrinsic nature one of them."

That is my fate. and i live with it. I'm a freak, I'm a frog with a sting.

Posted
20 minutes ago, LazyPiratesBounty said:

I'm the scorpion, I think, but I'm the frog too. Can I be both?

Perhaps that's the real truth behind this fable; the duality in each of us - the capacity to find joy in being cruel to another human AND to sacrifice ourselves ignoring the signs of danger to help another human. Not that I'm suggesting everyone is a switch, of course. Haha. However, I think we've seen enough shining examples of the best humanity has to offer with some deep dark secret (and often, the more shiny the example everyone sees, the deeper and darker the secret). Maybe one of the most revolting part of identifying with the perceived "villian" is we learn how alike we are, mere human beings.

If that is the case, then maybe the water represents life and our individual journey through it. Although a doomed endeavor, we all have something to look forward to, as we come to terms with the sublime nature of the scorpion and frog in us all.

Posted
11 hours ago, Cade said:

the best way to pass would be during sex, and for me, I hope my time comes when I'm inflicting ***.

How would you picture yourself in that situation?  As a butcher in a slaughter house?  Or, as a surgeon in an operating room?  If you choose that latter, how do you conduct yourself afterward, in the recovery room.  Food for introspection.

11 hours ago, Cade said:

The moral I received is that people that suffer from ignorance and insecurity will instinctively try to "stomp out" what they don't understand and ***, and may feel justified in such aggression with no provocation.

There are also those who act for the greater good---neutralizing threats to public health and safety.  The understanding is there, and the threat is clear.  Certain creatures have their place, out in the desert.  But, not in our neighborhoods, where we live.

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Scorpions were created with two pinchers and an often poisonous stinger,

Just as humans have two ears and one mouth.  They are best used in that proportion.

Posted
6 hours ago, phoenyx said:

How would you picture yourself in that situation?  As a butcher in a slaughter house?  Or, as a surgeon in an operating room?  If you choose that latter, how do you conduct yourself afterward, in the recovery room.  Food for introspection.

I found this first set of questions very interesting, as they might allude to a reason for our constant miscommunication. But, I'll get into that after answering the questions.

Neither, and if I were dead, there really would be no expectation of conduct in the recovery room. For all intent and purpose, I'll have the conduct of a dead man on my trip to the morgue for disposal.

What I found interesting, was the direction you went with your query. You've been very vocal with your "professional" status, and unless I misunderstood (entirely possible), you mentioned being taught by pro-dommes. Despite my analogy about sex, you likened your examples to occupations. Meanwhile, while I have sold my unique talents, this is definitely much more of a lifestyle for me. I would offer examples of *ideal* deaths such as rock climbing, skydiving, spelunking...extreme activities for which a person might have great passion. I would enjoy if my family and friends found great happiness in my passing; they would smile and shrug to each other with the phrase, "He died doing what he loved," echoing among them. Maybe, it might even inspire someone to seize the day - and in that, I find few deaths as honorable.

7 hours ago, phoenyx said:

There are also those who act for the greater good---neutralizing threats to public health and safety.  The understanding is there, and the threat is clear.  Certain creatures have their place, out in the desert.  But, not in our neighborhoods, where we live.

So, if I understand you correctly, you feel as if you are doing the greater good; are you imply I am a threat that you need to drive from your safe haven? The Spanish Inquisition mercilessly spread divine understanding for the greater good, and no doubt Hitler came to power with the promise of doing the greater good for his people against a clear threat. Even your own expressed heritage has been subject to great suffering and genocide in the name of doing the greater good, because settlers felt they were savage creatures that had no place in their neighborhoods, where they lived. I think you'd agree, many atrocities throughout human history have been done for the sake of the "greater good".

Human beings, as a species, is among the least adaptive creatures on this plant. Where as most living creatures adapt and live with the flow of nature, doing little damage to the overall planet, humans try to *** nature to adapt to us, to the extent that we are literally making the planet uninhabitable for most life. If you ask me, we are not the superior species, and perhaps - just perhaps - that scorpion has more right to claim the ground you step on than any human being does.

8 hours ago, phoenyx said:

Just as humans have two ears and one mouth.  They are best used in that proportion.

No doubt, in conjunction with the brain.

Posted
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Neither, and if I were dead, there really would be no expectation of conduct in the recovery room.

Who said anything about death?  I was asking how you, as a surgeon, would treat your patient in the recovery room---bedside manner, and all that.  C'mom, pay attention!

1 hour ago, Cade said:

are you imply I am a threat that you need to drive from your safe haven?

Do you have a loose connection or something?  No, you do not understand me correctly.  We were discussing people's instinctive reactions to scorpions and other poisonous critters.  Do you honestly identify yourself as one of those?  You need to quit trying to play the martyr.  You need to get off of this sickening self-pity kick!  No one on this list has anything against you (even though you have managed to PO quite a few folks).  Personally, I believe that you have the knowledge and experience to make an incredible Dom.  You just need to get your head out of your ass!  And, if you can't do it yourself, then dammit, get help.

You really don't understand the difference between being a literal sadist, and simply playing one on TV---so to speak.  "The Sadist" is your persona, not who you really are.  You appear to be losing touch with reality.  You claim to be a member of a group that has not existed since 2012!  You don't seem to know which way is up.

Of course, if you truly do wish to be a poisonous critter in human society, well, I hear that Raiford is pretty nice this time of year.  We'll even come to see you on Visiting Day---maybe even bring you a cake with a file baked into it.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

No doubt, in conjunction with the brain.

Another adage that you need to follow: "Always start brain, before engaging mouth!"  Note the two responses that I cited above.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, phoenyx said:

Who said anything about death?

Oh, wow...I think this is going to be a mindfuck.

You did.

From previous discussions, I do know how you prefer direct examples, so here you go! First, I posted the Scorpion and the Frog (the original post), a parable in which I apply the lessons to my life, as anyone might. You made a post on this thread, adding to the story with a lesson of your own agenda in what I interpreted to represent the possible consequence of following your nature. This is how you described the scorpions comeuppance: "It was not much later, that Scorpion met a new character, The Boot.  It was Boot, who soon turned Scorpion into nothing but a smear on the pavement.  Yet, even then, Scorpion did not find himself alone---as the Crows and Ravens attended his final resting place." Certainly, I did not mistake your intended meaning, and as I do desire to learn, I applied your lesson to my own life - as people tend to do with parables (as pointed out above). You quoted a portion of my introspections: "the best way to pass would be during sex, and for me, I hope my time comes when I'm inflicting ***." Even if you ignored the rest of what I wrote, you have to admit, death was mentioned twice in that one snippet alone - the snippet you chose to use to ponder hypotheticals. I responded to your hypothetical situations based on the above noted information, keeping (mostly) on topic.

I explain this so you can understand how positively absurd it is for you to say: 

C'mom, pay attention!

Not only is this incredibly condescending, but it is obviously ill-founded. Unless you were asking those hypotheticals complete separate the topic, the thread we've been on, or even the quote you referenced...well, I'm sure I don't need to finish that thought for you, but it does seem like we're having totally different discussions - one about the lessons of a parable, and one about something else entirely.

Case in point, I'm going to edit your next few paragraphs: I'll be striking through any portion that is off-topic/not applicable to the quote used, an attempt to insult, or a baseless assumption. But fret not! I am fair, and will revisit at least one of the points you tried to make.

Do you have a loose connection or something?  No, you do not understand me correctly.  We were discussing people's instinctive reactions to scorpions and other poisonous critters.  Do you honestly identify yourself as one of those?  You need to quit trying to play the martyr.  You need to get off of this sickening self-pity kick!  No one on this list has anything against you (even though you have managed to PO quite a few folks).  Personally, I believe that you have the knowledge and experience to make an incredible Dom.  You just need to get your head out of your ass!  And, if you can't do it yourself, then dammit, get help.

You really don't understand the difference between being a literal sadist, and simply playing one on TV---so to speak.  "The Sadist" is your persona, not who you really are.  You appear to be losing touch with reality.  You claim to be a member of a group that has not existed since 2012!  You don't seem to know which way is up.

Of course, if you truly do wish to be a poisonous critter in human society, well, I hear that Raiford is pretty nice this time of year.  We'll even come to see you on Visiting Day---maybe even bring you a cake with a file baked into it.

Paying attention is important, so responding to the portion of your statement that related to the topic: no, I don't identify as a scorpion or other poisonous critter, except when the choices are scorpion or frog. Obviously.

(Mod and reader note! This next part is going to get really off-topic, please indulge me.)

You claim to be a member of a group that has not existed since 2012!

You keep calling my honesty and integrity into question which is extremely offensive and unnecessary. My leatherfamily stopped running the Florida Bash (OUR convention - a weekend lifestyle event we planned, organized, and managed for several years) in 2012. We did not stop being a "group" nor stop working events or supporting the community. I could list the events and conventions we have helped and worked since 2012, but this has nothing to do with the topic, and everything to do with trying to prove something.

Stop it.

Stop it.

Another adage that you need to follow: "Always start brain, before engaging mouth!"

I just reposted this so you could simmer in your own juices.

Edited by Cade
Posted

@phoenyx I had to look at my old reviews of Bash, our last one was actually 2014. 

Posted
1 hour ago, phoenyx said:

Really?!

Yes.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information regarding me, but I will say it isn't me (which seems fairly ignorant, if I'm being honest). You can scroll my archive history on the other popular fetish site (same screen name, I've only had one name since joining the public scene back in the late 90s) to see various events I've taken part in or ran (including Fetish Circuit, which is the current monthly play party I help manage). Make sure to click the past event listings to see that people came, go to the group page for the events to see the chatter about those events - both good and bad. However, I've been on that site since it launched basically, which means you may have 10+ years of shared history to sift through.

Alternatively, a quicker (and perhaps less overwhelming) method if you have questions about me or my past might be coming to me directly, like a man, and asking for current references. I trust public dungeon, convention, or event owners I've worked with will be acceptable? I'm sure many of the local community hotspots would be more than willing to dispell any assumptions you have of me.