Diet can and does affect mental health

Posted (edited)

A balanced diet for a balanced mind.

Nutrition? Food and drink? 

I've spent many years battling my weight, especially as I've aged and as such have spent hours road running and gym training, not for others, not to impress anyone else,but for me, for my own mental health. After all it's not what others see or think of you that matters is it? It's what you see and what you feel, what you see in the mirror or how you react to what the scales say that can affect your own self worth and self esteem. 

There are many reasons we can feel down, grief, life in general, the breakup of a relationship etc etc and one thing I have seen especially the last 30 years or so is we seem in this country to be experiencing a mental health crisis with many struggling from day to day so surely if there is anything we can do to help with that, we should grab it with both hands. For me in my experience, and from what I've seen part of the reason for this is diet and especially processed foods.

Physical exercise in itself has been fantastic for a strong mind and good mental health, it really is the best antidepressant there is and beats Prozac hands down.  Yet what many fail to realise even with all the training which releases endorphins into the system is diet can and does have a huge affect on mental health and how we feel about ourselves.

The old saying you are what you eat really does apply, especially if you already struggle a little with anxiety/depression and I feel most of us at one point or another have had the odd time in our lives where even just getting out of bed, and facing the outside world can be a massive challenge.

I've trained all my life pretty much, but since lockdown ended here in the UK I've experimented somewhat more with diet and different food types be they carbs/proteins or fats and at what times especially before bed is the best time to consume. These are the conclusions I've reached.

Now one of the golden rules of exercise and diet is what works for me may not work for you, our bodies are very different and can react differently to exercise and diet in different ways, so I say this from my perspective only. 

1.When I gorge on bad foods just before bed I need more sleep. The reason for this is it takes effort to burn those calories so actually eating more can in fact tire you in unexpected ways. Your body overnight actually has to work much harder trying to process those calories so it's much likelier to wake tired, lethargic and quite frankly grumpy.

If I go to bed slightly hungry I need much less sleep and always wake with a spring in my step as my body hasn't had to work so hard to process those bad calories. I wake with much more energy but more importantly a positive mind, ready for the day ahead and I've always thought if you wake with a smile it generally makes for a good day all round.

2. Simple and complex carbs are your enemy especially refined s u g a r, it's a poison and for me should be banned. Nature's own s u g a r, honey as an example are so much healthier. Although carbs are needed to convert into energy, fats actually do pretty much the same but it's all about balance. I've dropped my carb count super low to see how my body reacts and it's not easy. Always feeling hungry and with that grumpy, so carbs are important but it's the type of carb that counts and more importantly when you consume them. Late at night, before bed is a big no no for me now for the above reasons And no it's never easy going slightly hungry but hunger comes in waves. If you can ride out the first wave any that follow are much easier to deal with.

3. Fad diets are exactly that, yes they can and do work, at that moment in time. Yet when you revert back to your normal eating regime any benefits you may have gained usually are lost. As in anything else it's all balance and it's about finding the right balance of carbs/proteins and fats to suit you as an individual which takes experimentation and a little patience.

4. Willpower is everything, you have to want to try different foods, different times to  consume those foods. You have to truly want to achieve your goal as if you go into your new training/eating regime half cocked you will fail. You must WANT it so much and be prepared to say no, be prepared to sacrifice that pizza you so badly want to order. Without willpower and clear decisions about how you wish to proceed then there really is no point.

5. Mental health really does define who we are and how we feel. A good diet with much less carbs and processed foods really does make what we feel about ourselves so much more positive and as such makes us much more pleasant to be around.

Physical health of course is so important yet so is mental. Feeling blue is never much fun and can in some cases lead to the most extreme of outcomes so love yourself a little, look after your mental health. Most definitely build your physical strength and endurance but if done correctly and if done with a healthy balanced diet then not only will you see a different reflection In the mirror, your whole viewpoint on life and those around you can be vastly improved. All by changing a few eating habits and when you choose to consume those foods.

Mental health is the one thing that joins us all as we all have had our moments. Look after yourself, look after your diet and the benefits to mental health can and are remarkable. I think how remarkable would surprise you somewhat should you care to try and if you are feeling a little down, a little blue try changing your diet and at what times you choose to eat. You may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome and as such may set you on a different and happier way to live your life.

Peace and love 

D

Edited by Deleted Member
Won't let me use the word "s u g a r"???
Posted

Donny, so much of what you say is simple common sense. And yet, thank you so much for stating it plainly because our lives can be so convoluted that our common sense gets buried. Please keep up with recording your thoughts. Hugs from across the pond.

Posted

I totally agree with this. I've always had an unhealthy relationship with food and over the last 20 years have cycled in and out of restrictive eating and binge eating. The last few years have been particularly difficult and I ended up numbing those emotions with anything y - I can't tell you how awful it makes me feel. I notice my anxiety creeping up when I eat a lot of , as well as being awake in the night because of the caffeine in the drinks. I've started cutting back and am already noticing a difference but is a hard habit to break.
The bit that interests me is what comes first - I didn't start reaching for y snacks until my life went off the rails (which sent my mental health spiralling down with it) but since then I've definitely noticed an impact on how I feel emotionally when I eat certain foods - so does my mental health affect my diet or does my diet affect my mental health???
I'd also add that it's only now my life is improving, and I'm feeling a lot better, that I have the willpower to start making changes to my diet. And I do have to say that was a much better coping mechanism for me than alcohol or restricting what I ate. But perhaps it's done what I needed it to and now that the hard times are over, I can let go of using food as a way to cope and focus on getting healthy again.
But ultimately I know that you are right - eating unhealthy foods has a big impact on how I feel about myself, even if it doesn't impact my mental health (although clearly the two are linked). The simple truth is when I eat badly, I feel guilty and angry at myself, as well as feeling terrible about how I look. When I make myself eat well, I feel great about myself and like I'm treating myself well. It really isn't rocket science!!!

Posted

Interesting stuff!

I've never paid attention to eating habits before going to bed. I actually stop eating at 6pm, and just drink tea or water (except for the weekends, where you'll see me munch junk food at 4am)

I've tried to lose weight because I don't like my body shape but I really love anything with chocolate ):

Posted

I found 'Eat less' by the J & G Jackson-Syntner published by Urbane very interesting. It's not a diet book as such, but it changed how I eat which is working on my weight too.

Posted

Eat clean/paleo/low carb....simples....😎. is , cane grows in a field, it’s all bad inc honey, so should be a treat. I eat meat,fish, eggs, good fats like avo and green stuff! Not had a cold or been ill since about 2006. Honestly.....Avoid processed food and you’ll be in top health! 🤩

Posted
13 hours ago, Kinky_kat said:

But ultimately I know that you are right - eating unhealthy foods has a big impact on how I feel about myself, even if it doesn't impact my mental health (although clearly the two are linked). The simple truth is when I eat badly, I feel guilty and angry at myself, as well as feeling terrible about how I look. When I make myself eat well, I feel great about myself 

Eaters guilt I know well but let's not forget we are allowed to treat ourselves every now and then. I live above a row of shops and takeaways so its a nighmare at night sometimes tring to be good when i can smell all the different aromas wafting upstairs to the flat. For me its more a feeling of feeling physically poor the next day after bingeing(which I do) it really does affect everything where as when I eat well I feel physically great which helps massively with mental health 😊😊

Posted
6 hours ago, Fairy-of-Silence said:

Interesting stuff!

I've never paid attention to eating habits before going to bed. I actually stop eating at 6pm, and just drink tea or water (except for the weekends, where you'll see me munch junk food at 4am)

I've tried to lose weight because I don't like my body shape but I really love anything with chocolate ):

And there you have it, stopping eating after a certain time is key for how we feel the next day. If I eat late I feel lethargic and run down the next morning. Your body shape is awesome but as I said what I think doesn't really matter, it's what you think that counts. For the record I love choccy too, and sweets, ice cream, biscuits and crisps 😂😂

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZBZB said:

Eat clean/paleo/low carb....simples....😎. is , cane grows in a field, it’s all bad inc honey, so should be a treat. I eat meat,fish, eggs, good fats like avo and green stuff! Not had a cold or been ill since about 2006. Honestly.....Avoid processed food and you’ll be in top health! 🤩

Can't argue with any of that, the way good foods affect us physically affects that mental health so much, or so I'm finding 

Edited by Deleted Member
Posted
13 hours ago, Kinky_kat said:

The bit that interests me is what comes first - I didn't start reaching for y snacks until my life went off the rails (which sent my mental health spiralling down with it) but since then I've definitely noticed an impact on how I feel emotionally when I eat certain foods - so does my mental health affect my diet or does my diet affect my mental health???

I think bad food can cause eaters guilt which can affect mental health but also it physically makes us feel lethargic which also can affect the mind. Yet when I feel a little down I freely admit to gorging which then makes it all the worse. It's a vicious circle at times as we eat to try and feel better but that then makes us feel worse so then we eat more and around we go. I've found the willpower part to be invaluable, get through those rough few hours, deny yourself those takeaways etc and that in itself boosts your own self esteem, as to deny proves your mental fortitude which boosts how you feel and helps so much the next time you crave. "I did it before so I can do it again" 😊

Posted

Yes eating a healthy diet is also a good idea in light of this pandemic as well.  Obesity can and does lead to more severe complications with Covid apparently!

Posted

Spot on mate! Can highly recommend a book called the fighters body too. Lots of nutritional and exercise advice for getting generally for rather than weights and extreme stuff!

Posted

A lot of what you said I agree with. Especially, working out what your body wants. I too am lower on carbs than a normal British diet. And I do live a couple doors down form a chippy so I know that ***. 

I think a lot of people who struggle with weight don't do well with carbs so get cravings if they eat them. The longer you are strict with the carbs the more your body adapts and doesn't want them. I don't really like normal chocolate bars and deep pan pizzas which I used to love 🤣

I also agree that diet is important for mental well-being and sleep. Sleep also has a massive impact on your mental health. So important to take care of yourself or have someone prompting you to do it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smittenbaby said:

A lot of what you said I agree with. Especially, working out what your body wants. I too am lower on carbs than a normal British diet. And I do live a couple doors down form a chippy so I know that ***. 

I think a lot of people who struggle with weight don't do well with carbs so get cravings if they eat them. The longer you are strict with the carbs the more your body adapts and doesn't want them. I don't really like normal chocolate bars and deep pan pizzas which I used to love 🤣

I also agree that diet is important for mental well-being and sleep. Sleep also has a massive impact on your mental health. So important to take care of yourself or have someone prompting you to do it.

For me it's more about if I eat poorly the day after I feel physically low which has a knock on affect mentally. If I eat well then I really can feel the difference the next day, it's not so much about weight but more the feelings both physical/mentally that can occur from a healthy diet. Don't get me wrong though, today is cheat day and already ordered my pizza and garlic bread 😊

Edited by Deleted Member
Spelling
Posted

Got to have cheat day! I find if I eat well most of t h time the cheat days don't effect me as much 😉