Another glitch, or a deliberate new feature?

Mz****

Posted

I've had a couple of days off site so had a few forum threads to catch up with and new ones to look over, and some of the new posters have what looks like a hand over their screen avatar/profile pic, but not all do.

Can someone please fill me in, is it a glitch or a new feature, and if it's a feature, what does it do and why isn't it on every posters pic? 🤔

Posted

Hey @MzJax, thanks for your message! The forum software was updated today, so it is not a glitch :) The tech team did some housework and improved the existing forum. People with hands in their avatar are newbies, so that members know to be welcoming to people who may not know the site and app as well as established members. The MODs have shields, so that members know they are MODs. Hope this helps!

Posted
29 minutes ago, Annalou said:

Hey @MzJax, thanks for your message! The forum software was updated today, so it is not a glitch :) The tech team did some housework and improved the existing forum. People with hands in their avatar are newbies, so that members know to be welcoming to people who may not know the site and app as well as established members. The MODs have shields, so that members know they are MODs. Hope this helps!

What a fabulous idea, I'm sure that will be very useful for E/everyone!!

Posted
18 hours ago, Annalou said:

Brilliant idea!

I've just had a thought about newbies and chat. Why not have a newbies room? 

Somewhere haunted by a handful of regs, and yes I would resurrect AL for that. A room where newbies can get to know each other and regs and maybe learn the ropes and get guidance.

One of the things I enjoyed about the greeting was meeting new people, seeing them grow and settle in.

Posted

I understand how some could see this as a glitch.  Often, in the case of newbies, the symbol covers part of the face.

So, I have a suggestion.  If possible, place the symbol in the upper-right corner of the avatar.  This tends to give the impression of a "badge".  The current center-bottom positioning comes across more as some sort of warning---hence, the thought that it may be a glitch.  Further, the upper-right corner is rarely used for any visual information.  So, it is less likely to obscure anything that a new members might want others to see.

Posted

i would have valued that when i started Bounty