difference between a compliment and a pet name

pomonagirl

Posted
I feel like if someone called me sweetheart or honey or beautiful I wouldn’t mind but maybe sexy is a lil much when first interacting w someone. You want them to know you value them on a deeper level than just their physical appearance, but recognizing that they’re attractive isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I tell strangers that they’re beautiful or super pretty all of the time! Not a pet name, per say
Posted
Love this 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼 for a few reasons;
1. I also hate superficial compliments.
2. I don’t find ‘sexy’ complimentary.
3. Pet names are extremely personal & quite often intimate, you don’t get or give one until we have a bond. Actually have that written on my profile 😂
4. While terms of endearment, like honey, sweet, babe etc when used in conversation, by any gender, can be comforting…it can also be really patronising depending on context. I do use terms of endearment like ‘sweet’ but it’s usually to show compassion while offering advice or support, even then I’m careful with it.
Posted
My ex called everyone angel and sweetie etc, it would the make me feel less important when he called me it. So I asked for a pet name he would never call anyone else 😁
Posted
I just think it's creepy die a stranger to call me stud, babe, doll, buddy, daddy, Papi, sweetie, ad nauseum. If I didn't tell a stranger my name or they didn't inquire, Sir will do. It's polite.
Posted
I had an ex who didn't like these terms. I did a bit of research. Many compliments can be seen as objectifying by some.
Whilst I don't agree that it is, can I find someone gorgeous and mean their total being is gorgeous and not the superficial outward appearance? Of course.

Often it's the mea ingredients behind those compliments. If it's superficial then sure.. not the best. Problem is... some jump to trendy trends and don't pause to take into account why someone is calling you what they are.
Posted
Just now, Xplosivrob said:
I had an ex who didn't like these terms. I did a bit of research. Many compliments can be seen as objectifying by some.
Whilst I don't agree that it is, can I find someone gorgeous and mean their total being is gorgeous and not the superficial outward appearance? Of course.

Often it's the mea ingredients behind those compliments. If it's superficial then sure.. not the best. Problem is... some jump to trendy trends and don't pause to take into account why someone is calling you what they are.

*meaning

Posted
I don’t know that it would be worth the time to assume why someone else chooses to respond the way they do. It would be best to ask each person individually what it was that offended them so.

There is an awesome opportunity for you here personally though and that is to mentally thank them for revealing an aspect of themselves to you that can better help you evaluate if they are worth the time you were hoping to invest in them.;);)
IndigoSigmaSwitch
Posted
How would "Grrrr.ooow...I would like to lick the fur on your coat clean" be received?
Posted
You forgot the compliment lure...

The kind that some people use as a prelude to making their demands or wishes known. The kind of compliment used to butter people up before the sales pitch. The one about themselves. Normally.

You can tell when it happens because they will clearly negate the compliment by the end of the conversation if they don't get what they want.

PSA
If you're using a compliment as a lever to get something you want, you're doing it wrong. Compliments aren't transactional 😉
Posted

That’s why you gotta go for the real compliments. Might I suggest “Boo Boo Kitty f**k”?

Posted
Just remember words mean different things to different people and what one person may take offense to may not have been the intent from whom it came.
Posted
Because compliments have been used so superficially, I think you need a little self awareness and read the room before you give them. Build up a rapport with the person, get to know them on a deeper level so that when you do pay them a compliment it’s because you genuinely know the compliment is true about *them*.
Posted
Soooo many humans (and sadly not only men by my experience working in a bar) need to learn this and furthermore, respect boundaries and take no for answers.
You’d be surprise things I’ve been called or how some people had made me feel by “complimenting me”.

In the pet name side, I will never let it slide. Not even once. I’d say politely “I have a name” and people in dating apps had told me stuff like this. Specially here…
Posted
I always thought those words was terms of endearment
That's a good thing. I thought.
Posted
7 hours ago, portland760 said:
I always thought those words was terms of endearment
That's a good thing. I thought.

I think it depends on context, like the op said, pet names with a stranger, like baby, princess etc for me personally, doesn’t just feel over familiar & uncomfortable…it also gives the impression that the ‘stranger’ in my inbox, probably calls everyone they message the same thing, which takes endearment out of the picture. Just my opinion obviously.

Posted
I love it you can call me beautiful anytime
Posted
Very nicly put qn you lknow what when people have a natural beauty or even just traits where it be character shit nowadays people goin off on socks but my self personaly growing up woth 2 beautys being my mom an *** for one to be able to at least keep it togeather stay proper until theirs at least some sorta respect that their not just somthing to show off or hell im shure they hear it day in an day out cause u best beleive that girl damn well knows