Thoughts on video chats before agreeing a date/meet

Posted
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering what other people's stance is on this. Personally I'm pro video chat, even a two minute one, and for myriad of reasons.

1, It eliminates the whole potential catfish thing. Safety first people.

2, It helps me decide if I fancy that person enough to warrant a meet as I can't always tell from a picture and text based interaction.

3, I have really bad mental health issues so it puts me at ease.

I like the face to face interaction too, but if someone's not comfortable with it regularly that's cool, but I flat out never agree to a date without at least a five minute video chat prior. It also strikes me as massive red flag if someone doesn't want to, not that anyone I've met has ever balled at the idea before.

What are others peoples thoughts? Is it standard dating protocol, or I am being unreasonable for requesting it, or unrealistic thinking it's the norm?
Posted
Absolutely up for them, like you say it helps you to prove who they actually are. Stick with your gut!
Posted
Yes I agree with you
Posted
It’s useful, but for me I get a better feel for someone and the potential chemistry etc. in person vs over the phone or video chat.
Posted
I’m the same way. I think it’s normal to be a bit cautious when interacting with somebody who you’ve met online.

A video chat eliminates a LOT of potential issues, one of which maybe how is the social interaction when you can both see each other eyes, is it awkward,do they come across the same way as they did via text etc.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. It’s a prerequisite for me.
Posted
I feel like it's much better to be safe than sorry, so I feel like video chatting before meeting is a great idea!
Posted
Absolutely, like you say. Enables you to prove who they are! Stick to your guts
Posted
A lot of people on tinder and bumble don’t like when I’ve suggested this idea. I always ask for a quick chat before I leave. I’m not about to show up and wait for someone I have no idea about or if I even like them. Granted. It’s different for each person but I agree with you.
Posted
Agreed, nice to see confirmation and a face to face view
Posted
Big believer of this.
For both a woman's safety and also a man's peace of mind.

Lots of fake accounts.
Posted
Let’s be real….soooo much better to have a video chat prior to meeting
Posted
I think this is solid, like if you're texting with someone for a couple of weeks, like there's gotta be some sort of video call just to confirm the person. I 100% agree and standby this, too many concerns if they don't want to.
Posted
I have to video chat from day one before I talk to A chick ive been catfished twice so I understand wat ur saying
Posted
Personally I would text chat a few times and if things seem OK, video several times. A lot more can be gauged over video time and reaction wise. Then just some ordinary, public chats.
Posted
I think video chats are a wonderful idea. I also have had some semi long distance playthings and we could use the video chat to verify their tasks for the day etc. while we waited for weekend in person playtime. It also is always great for safety. I always insist on an in person non kink meeting anyway, I enjoy going to dinner etc. but, a video chat helps build that level of trust that is needed for any good time to be successful.
Posted
10000% agree. You should always be safe and it also helps see what an actual face-to-face interaction is before you do it in person first.
Posted
Absolutely on board with this and something I’ve always done, even pre -kink.

My thought is, ultimately you can be having a great chat via text but is it the same person? Or if it is… can that same person respond in real time.

Ie… is the connection real
Posted
Video chat is mandatory. Just as talking about boundaries and wants. Another thing that I ask for even if there is a connection and we are talking about living out fantasy’s, I ask for proof of a clean bill of health. I don’t okay unless they have clean papers.
Posted
You're definitely not being unreasonable or unrealistic - it's what you like to do to give you a level of comfort after all.
That said, you also have to accept that some people may not be comfortable with it, which it appears you do, and decide whether to go ahead or not - while I agree it *can* be a red flag, it doesn't automatically mean it is - some people just aren't comfortable with video calling for example.
Posted
I completely agree with your stance on video chats. I have come to find out that most people in here a scam artist and just fake. As soon as you ask for a video chat the conversation turns very awkward and confrontational.
Posted
Seems a sensible precaution to me
Posted
I think do whatever makes you feel more comfortable and at ease. I myself am 100% pro cam chat beforehand. There is so much you can learn about the other person and how you interact prior to meeting.

Now I am fully aware that I'm a 6'2 guy so there's much less of a risk for me (not completely gone, but much less). So the way I have always done things is allow the other person to dictate the how's where's when's of how the initial meet/s go. Whatever is going to make them comfortable and feel safe. Whether that's a prolonged build up of talking for a period online before texting/whatsapp/kik for a period, before cam chat, before public vanilla meet (with sfaety call) before play meet (or any number or combination of those things), or whether it's a quicker process. To my mind there are two important aspects of this. One you get more of an idea of how well you match, but also if someone is already pressuring you to rush through or past something that would make you feel more comfortable and safe then they are already not taking your well being into account, which, to my mind, should be a red flag.
Posted
Totally pro! Catfishing in this lifestyle is an epidemic.