Are goths more likely to get into BDSM?

AlphaLion

Posted
I was having an interesting conversation this morning and it lead to a theory that I'm interested if others have opinions on it. The theory went along the lines that goths have a higher chance of getting into BDSM than any other groups. I would think its based mostly on the clothing choices, and the similarities in many ways. I wonder what others think.
Posted
I don't agree. Goth tends to be depressed or alienated ***s that dress in black clothing. BDSM has Doms that choice in clothes tend to be black leather. BDSM is about control and submission. Goths don't tend to think of themselves as being in control. I think instead of goth, the people might have been thinking about goren who tend to be heavy into masochistic submission.
Lord_Talion
Posted
Actually it's all based on the lifestyle choices. Vanilla has always been yesterdays news and everyone is always looking for the next best thing
Posted
Historically, goth subculture originally often involved a number of non-standard sexual practices, not limited to BDSM, as part of a broader set of counter-cultural qualities and beliefs.
Posted

As a Goth...

there is a lot of fetish imagery and BDSM themes in the music and bands.   We could be here quite a while - but to different degrees there's themes in bands including but not limited to The ***s of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Omnimar, Ost-Front, Lords of Acid, Depeche Mode, Lord of the Lost... we could be here a while.

I've DJ'd in Goth clubs for about 20 years and so when I started to go to fetish clubs, there were already people I knew from the Goth events.

However... there are plenty of people from the Goth scene who really aren't kinky and don't like the assumptions they are - as there are plenty of people in fetish clubs who are sick of people assuming they're goth or into metal etc.

Posted

There is a lot over overlap in the imagery and symbolism of the Goth and BDSM cultures.  That said, the two cultures are quite different.  The similarities are purely superficial.  In fact, I have encountered a lot of Goth folks, who are actually repulsed by leather and fetish wear.  There really is no correlation.

I recall encountering the same question back in the mid-to-late 80's, with the Heavy-Metal "head bangers".  Fetish wear (leather/rubber) was almost a universal dress code for "Metal" concerts.  Yet, this had almost nothing to do with true fetish.  The dress was meant more as a spit-in-the-face to "The Establishment".  "Fetish" makes the "vanilla" world cringe---hence, the appeal of its "shock value".  I suspect that a lot of this was inherited from the "Punk" scene, a decade earlier.

Posted

a lot of this also ties in with some other threads about symbols people may wear that indicates they are into kink or fetish

there are an awful lot of symbols popular in kink which also are popular in alternative fashions.  

Mind; the advantage of all this is.... when I started going to fetish clubs the first time round I could just walk up after whatever Goth gig I'd been to, wearing the same clothes 

Posted
Masterfsg?;you clearly don't have a clue about alternative lifestyles? Goths are depressed ***agers? Ffs!!
Posted
Thanks all. Some interesting opinions and that's what I wanted :-)
Posted
Basically eyemblacksheep and Phoenyx covered it. I'm goth and kinky, but it really annoys me when people assume I'm kinky just because I'm goth.