Labels? restrictive or necessary?

Zululover

Posted

I mean

without them it would be "I am a person who is looking for a person to do something"

and then when someone replies going "I am a person! let's do something!" it falls apart quickly if it's "you're not the type of person I'm looking for" 

Posted
I think the basic labels help, then expand and clarify what that label means to you, which bits you identify with ect
Posted

There are labels and their meanings which  are kind of part of any language.

Then there is how you see yourself fitting into 'a' label and also how others  perceive you to fit a label and also how you feel about being labelled (yourself and by others).....

Which can also comes down to confusion in meanings and what one person considers a label to mean in relation to another persons understanding.

Clear ?  (as mud)

Posted
I think labels are never necessary and without them we have more of an opportunity to learn about the perosn.
Posted
Has anything good ever come of labeling?
Posted
21 minutes ago, Patrick_Nl said:

Has anything good ever come of labeling?

take all the labels off all your food packaging.   prepare a meal... which is the custard, which is the dog food, which are the beans?

You got to keep opening them until you get the right one.

With people it is kinda different especially when people might not be sure where they fit and how they define themselves may differ from how others define them - but it is at least a starting point

Posted

If you start with just the basics..( and i mean very basic) so its a starting point.

Dominant..... in control

Submissive....gives up control 

Switch.....a bit of both 

Sadist..... giver of ***

Masochist....receiver of ***

Sado/maso... a bit of both 

After that, (or indeed none of them as many more basic labels) there are other labels we add.

The most important thing about labels is communication, starting with 

"I'm Submissive, this is how i view the label......ect ect, I'm also a masochist, i enjoy both together/I don't enjoy both together ect ect."

One label doesnt always go hand in hand with others, a dominant might enjoy receiving *** but obviously they are not a submissive.

Just chat, enjoy the getting to know each other. We are such a diverse group of people, like food lovers, i like chicken but not all chicken lol.

Posted
1 hour ago, eyemblacksheep said:

take all the labels off all your food packaging.   prepare a meal... which is the custard, which is the dog food, which are the beans?

You got to keep opening them until you get the right one.

With people it is kinda different especially when people might not be sure where they fit and how they define themselves may differ from how others define them - but it is at least a starting point

You really nead labels to tell dog food from a steak ?

Posted
I think labels are a useful guide but just that, a guide - they shouldn't be all encompassing and finite - I identify as a bisexual submissive as at a high level that is what I am - but what flavour of bisexual submissive I am may change, may be dependent on the other person, or even my mood, and to find that flavour you need to dig deeper than the label
Posted
They have there use at a fairly high level, by that I mean giving an indication of a person's 'kink' traits, however they can be very subjective and as such should be used a guide.
Posted
Label give you a general idea of what your dealing with. Reason we label something is to give us a Idea of what that something is. Being a human we need to take the time to learn more about it specifically.
Posted
8 hours ago, Patrick_Nl said:

You really nead labels to tell dog food from a steak ?

have a tin of stewing steak and a tin of dog food

identical sizes, plain tins

remove labels and all identifying marks (as that would be a label)

Have someone shuffle them

Pick out the steak. 50/50 chance

Posted
Labels are a good shorthand for the kind of stuff you can expectnoutnof someone but also talk to them for the details. I find they help ease the get to know you phase of stuff.
Posted
This is interesting as I asked the other day what is the difference between being a Daddy (no age play with a sub rather than a little) and a Sir out of genuine curiosity.

I agree that the basic labels help ‘set the scene’ but further down the line it is definitely open to interpretation