Impact Charts: A Major Tool for the Serious Dominant

Dy****

Posted

I am such an Impact-oriented Dom; even I think it's completely ridiculous.

Not to be grotesque, but I get downright excited at the sight of my Submissive tied to my desired object, with my impact device in hand, watching them shiver in anticipation.

YUM!

The bruising, the marks, the pattern…….the pretty colors! UGH, I could go on and on about this. I keep at it so long that you may get bored, honestly. It's safe to say Impact is my special place!

But I need help with Impact.

I get super excited by Impact. Did I mention that earlier?

And what happens to me is that I can lose my focus. Because the process can dig into emotions I have around Impact. And it's ok to have feelings around the activity you are engaged in. But, as a Dominant, you must create ways to capture vital information about how you engage in play with your partner.  No matter what emotions we experience, we need to remain in control of ourselves and devise ways to focus our attention that keep our Submissive's safety and sanity in mind.

At one point in my kink journey, I was asked to give feedback on a ping-pong paddle. How it felt in my hand, swinging, and upon Impact, the pattern it left, and how long that pattern lasted.

And from that session, I devised a method to chart Impact! 

In my lifetime, not every Submissive has wanted all the types of Impact I can offer. And that's great! Consent matters. Ensuring their experience is unique to their needs is equally important, as is my inspiration from the impact sessions I am party to.

I have impact devices that some Submissives have yet to experience before. Even still, I have some that Submissives have previously divulged having bad experiences with but are interested in trying again. However, they explain they are timid and nervous about it (and rightly so!).

I talked about shaping and documenting a dynamic using a notebook if you have read my previous posts. And it's that same notebook where I organize an impact session with a Submissive.

Here are the basics of an impact session: we select the impact devices the Submissive is interested in experiencing. I devise the breakdown of the chart. Since I don't need to record things like in the ping-pong paddle survey, I focus on different strengths of applied Impact and how they felt.

With an impact session, I repeatedly document the lightest strikes to build the muscle memory I need to produce that level of Impact for my Submissive on demand.  

Then I'll ramp it up and see how they respond to that Impact. Once we find the edge of what they can accept, we will dial it down, find that "comfortable-uncomfortable" spot, and build some memory there. In case someone is acting up at some point, you know?

These two points serve as the safe play range. If we dial it up, it's for specific reasons discussed beforehand. 

After one device is charted, we can move on to the next. And sometimes, this process will take several weeks to accomplish.

That's quite all right; we're not trying to rush this process. We want to ensure we create a rewarding experience for both of us.

I can't enjoy Impact if I am flying blind and inflicting actual damage to my Submissive. I need my Submissive to be in the session, focused, and present. I don't want them to be hurt, which means they lose their sense of safety, and then I lose their consent, leading to a loss of trust. Whether I intend to discipline or to flirt (and yes, I flirt with impact devices), it has to communicate those purposes correctly, and I have found this method to be the most effective at achieving that end.

I like this process because it serves as our first true goal together. If we stay the course, we can find the best way to apply Impact for the Submissive and establish the boundaries I must adhere to.

When we have explored every device, we review what has been written down about each one and ensure that what is in the chart is accurate. If there are questions, we discuss what they are and how we answer them.

Sometimes, another session with a device or two is the best way to solve questions. Other times, a demonstration of how I apply the various levels of acceptable Impact with an inanimate object, so the Submissive can see for themselves what I am doing and how I am doing it.

For Dominants, remember that if you are binding your submissive on their abdomen, they can't necessarily see all your actions. Their limited view (think periphery) may cause their schema to take over for them and interpret the activity they are taking to appear far more violent than it is.

Taking the time to demonstrate how you enact an impact can help them create a visual in their mind early, so they are not overcome with *** instantly and feel the need to safe word out almost as soon as you start.

This is all about checking in with your Submissive. The more you do ahead of a robust scene, like impact charting, the more likely you will have a successful play experience.

And charting serves as yet another version of communication. We communicate the impact devices we will use, and how we will use them, and from there, we can discover when they will be used.

By answering these questions ahead of a device's total use, we develop trust, which informs consent, which informs our sense of safety, which means we will have a much better experience on both sides of the slash.

Posted
3 hours ago, Kimber469ing said:

Very well written and a good read

Thank you!

Posted
Would it be helpful to others if you included images of the charts that you create in your book, with any names removed for privacy? The details from your articles, should really be part of dominant and submissive reading and research.
Posted
I love this. Impact play should be well thought out and carefully practiced (for me) and doing so has the ability to make both parties feel that bit safer.
I do have a question though; how do you record the impact strength used to achieve the recorded outcome?
Posted
10 hours ago, GoodGirlBetterBrat said:

I love this. Impact play should be well thought out and carefully practiced (for me) and doing so has the ability to make both parties feel that bit safer.
I do have a question though; how do you record the impact strength used to achieve the recorded outcome?

Great question!

The key here is to document to lowest point, and the highest acceptable point.  And for my part, these are actions I have to repeat to gain that muscle memory aspect.

Having things in writing helps with ensuring that the Submissive is aware of which strike is which.  For the Dominant, it helps with recalling the strength used. 

Posted
10 hours ago, CumbriaLeather said:

Would it be helpful to others if you included images of the charts that you create in your book, with any names removed for privacy? The details from your articles, should really be part of dominant and submissive reading and research.

Thank you very much!  That is very nice of you to say.

I could work on something yes.  But, even with the names redacted, I'll need to get permission. 

Posted
Te scientist in me has to question how you are gauging the strength of your impact? That seems like a pretty fuzzy variable.
Posted
17 hours ago, CumbriaLeather said:

6 hours ago, DyingForLife said:

I could work on something yes.  But, even with the names redacted, I'll need to get permission. 

It's a great idea but unfortunately images are not permitted in the forum. 

Posted
On 7/31/2023 at 7:14 PM, denver725 said:

Te scientist in me has to question how you are gauging the strength of your impact? That seems like a pretty fuzzy variable.

Obviously,  I can replicate every strike the exact same way.  But, through thoughtful repetition we can form an idea of what the intent is behind each kind of strike, and how it should feel, generally.

We can't be scientifically precise, but we can be artfully precise,  and that is the idea here.  Getting a form of balance with the science, and the art.