Using Chat Rooms

Posted

After a sudden, welcome, influx of people using the chat rooms, some of the regulars have been chatting about what could be put in place for new members to make life easier for them and the regulars. We have noticed that some (not all) new members think it is a place to 'pick up' someone or to make inappropriate comments. We try to guide them to read the chat rules, where to go for dating and placing ads on their profile which can be tiring at times and frustrating too. A suggestion made was to have a check box people have to tick when they try to use the chat rooms for the first time to say they have read the rules. Another suggestion made was to have a designated chat room for verified users and also to have more rooms available as general chat is very busy in the evenings at the moment, again a good thing, but it can be difficult to keep up with conversations.  We thought that if these things were in place it might reduce the amount of work FetMods have to do in the chat rooms too.

Would love to hear your ideas and suggestions.

Posted

Ive only used chat a few times and each time ive been made to feel welcome and included.

I think the check box is a good idea.

Perhaps there is a way of temporarily disabling pms in chat if a user wishes to. I like chatting in the room and dont mind the odd chat in pm but uninvited pms can be a problem.

Posted
12 minutes ago, LazyPiratesBounty said:

Ive only used chat a few times and each time ive been made to feel welcome and included.

I think the check box is a good idea.

Perhaps there is a way of temporarily disabling pms in chat if a user wishes to. I like chatting in the room and dont mind the odd chat in pm but uninvited pms can be a problem.

I like your idea about disabling pms, maybe we could have a choice to open pms to people on friends list but not other users. That could reduce uninvited pms. 

Posted

I agree.

Or maybe set pm as disabled with a choice of allowing from users in the list.

Posted

You can already disable whispers, that's something, but it means missing ones from people you might want to whisper with too unfortunately..the number of wanna fuck, pm me babes, and other inappropriate stuff that comes through in the last 3 days has increased at least tenfold, that and the whirling fast chat makes it impossible to follow anything really, 79 it showed in the Lobby at one point on Wednesday evening!

It is starting to feel a little like a meat market rather than a fetish site with newbies not reading the rules wandering in and trying to hook up.

Posted
Im still amazed that men exist that call women babe and on here it makes it obvious that all they want is wank fodder
Posted

I agree about it becoming a meat market Jax, for me the site is about a community and having a safe place to explore kinks and make friends, which I think is lost on a lot of the newcomers. Like I’ve said I’m pleased new people are joining, I’m just not sure they understand what they are joining. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, sub_miss_1 said:

I agree about it becoming a meat market Jax, for me the site is about a community and having a safe place to explore kinks and make friends, which I think is lost on a lot of the newcomers. Like I’ve said I’m pleased new people are joining, I’m just not sure they understand what they are joining. 

I agree, kinky doesn't mean horny for anyone and everyone..well, not to all of us anyway.

Posted

I've had my fair share of pms that are blatantly just after quick gratification.

I'm not against talking dirty or explicitly but only after some sort of relationship is formed.

"Hey babe.. you make me so horny, wanna see?" Does not inspire me to reply Oh yes please.

Posted
1 minute ago, MzJax said:

I agree, kinky doesn't mean horny for anyone and everyone..well, not to all of us anyway.

And submissive doesn't mean easy.

Posted

Let’s hope that admin take some of this onboard, if it continues as it is I know I’ll use the chat rooms less and just come on to check messages. Getting new members is great providing they don’t lose the old ones. 

Posted
Agreed, I’ve pretty much abandoned chat after the last few days.
Posted
1 hour ago, Depraved said:

Agreed, I’ve pretty much abandoned chat after the last few days.

Even though this proves my point I hope you don’t abandon chat. 

Posted
I used to be on chat loads when I first came on here almost 2yrs ago but I got so sick of crass comments I haven’t been in the chat rooms for over a year...shame really
Posted
7 hours ago, BigPolly said:

I used to be on chat loads when I first came on here almost 2yrs ago but I got so sick of crass comments I haven’t been in the chat rooms for over a year...shame really

That’s a real shame Polly as there are some lovely people in there.

Posted
9 minutes ago, sub_miss_1 said:

That’s a real shame Polly as there are some lovely people in there.

I speak to a fair few in DM so I’m all good 😁

Posted
i like the idea of a chat room for verified members. At least there you would know that each person had done their best to show they are genuine👍
Posted

Never use chat, always the same bunch and no really interesting in vanilla chat. I have proper friends for it. Not sure what chat is there for tbh, can’t really have a convo with 70 people at the same time doesn’t make any sense 

as for uninvited pm you could just ignore it, after a while they will be fed up or report it ? 

Posted

Anyone with a premium or VIP membership can open an extra room if it gets too busy, or to discuss a particular topic. We could have a games room, a Q&A room, anything you want really. I think maybe a help room for new members might be a good idea. The lobby must seem pretty daunting when it's busy. 

Posted
5 hours ago, Pervy_Paul said:

I think maybe a help room for new members might be a good idea

I feel it's a nice idea albeit with a slight problem

I think a space to help newbies is valuable - but it potentially isn't going to be very helpful if the ONLY people in the chat are other newbies then it becomes a little blind-leading-the-blind

It also runs the risk of being used as a slight pick-up ground for people a little bit experienced to try and prey on newbies - by either "getting there first" or giving them advice to an agenda.

Pretty much the only way to make it work is have people who are experienced, willing, and available to pretty much monitor the chat room in case a newbie wants help or support.  This is a massive resource issue.

At munches, sections designed for newbies are normally the first 30 minutes, so a set time on a set day - and even then some munches have problems of non-newbies turning up.  

I think it's an idea with potential - but one where there's so many hurdles. 

-

Though tying ideas together, how about a trial at a designated slot aimed for newbies maybe once per week. 

Posted

As a relative newcomer to chat I'd definitely use a newbie room IF there were some regs in there.

It can be difficult, especially when there are obvious friendships and chats going on so for me having regs take time out to welcome me is a nice thing (tbf, this actually happened in main chat)

I'd also be happy to help with chat in any way I could.

Posted

Yep, segregation isn’t the answer, it would rely on a few friendly regulars being willing to help lead the way.

Posted

Hey guys, just to let you know I've read your comments and will put forward some of your ideas with the rest of the team. 💘

Posted
On 7/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, Katiefox said:

Hey guys, just to let you know I've read your comments and will put forward some of your ideas with the rest of the team. 💘

Thank you very much Katie :) 

• 4 years later...
Posted
I don't know who this is directed to or whether the discussion is even still open but for a guy that's been on FET for 3 months and had VERY little feed back & NO Physical contact,( most of the people I AM talking to are Awesome) But that's probably because I'm seen as a sexual Vanilla Heathen by most of the BDSM community. I HAVE been in "CHAT ROOMS" twice, and I HAVE tried to immerse myself in conversation, (even today) but the chat is SO FRENETIC and so localised to regulars it's hard to understand what the fuck they are on about, it feels like a pointless exercise, that will NOT benefit anybody especially ME. it's VERY hard to follow so....... I just gave up, so MY Voice won't change anything, but FET need to make chat a more newbie user friendly place........... cos it's not now