What do "Passive" and "Active" mean?

Kiggitz

Posted

Hi! I'm new to this website and new to the scene as a whole. When adding to my profile, under the Kinks & Fetishes section, there are options for each kink that say "Passive" and "Active".  What exactly do these mean? If I'm an active submissive, does that mean that's the position I'm taking, or that I fill a more involved role as a submissive?  Does it have to do with how often I'm fulfilling these roles, or maybe how much I'm looking for these roles?

Posted
@Kiggitz I took it to mean the " action" of! As in giving or receiving....but I could be wrong!! Lol
Posted

Passive is you enjoy watching

Active is you enjoy doing 

Posted

People seem to have different ideas about what they mean. Are the owners of the site aware of how disputed these terms are and how confusing they seem to be?

Posted

Yeah, that's a good point, I was surprised how much I had misunderstood a lot of the terms before I signed up on this website.

Posted
I don't know if we were putting this too simply, because both thebook and eyem gave me pause (leaning toward agreeing with eyem)...but my definition was always giving and receiving, or doing/watching. For example...violet wand or collar/leash...I enjoy applying them to her as much as she enjoys having them done to her (wearing a collar or being collared). It might get messy though, say with high heels. I'd actively enjoy putting her in them, passively enjoy watching her in them, but she'd be the one actively participating in doing it/wearing it. So maybe that's where "Everything..." comes in? Wondering if this should be clearer in a Dom/sub dynamic, but right now I don't think I cleared up anything.
Posted

of course a few googles also bring up differences

so I think in general with activities - it is watching/doing

but for example a google brings up the difference between passive submission (doing instructions when told by the Dominant) and active (making proactive choices to serve Dominant) so for example, your Dominant getting up to find you've already done the housework and made breakfast is active, your Dominant getting up and then telling you to make breakfast and do chores is passive