First UK conviction for 'cyberflashing'

ey****

Posted

On the 31st January 2024, it was brought into UK law that 'cyberflashing' - i.e. sending a dick pic, would become a criminal offence

Today, March 19th 2024, someone was imprisoned for just over 15 months after sending dick pics to two people.

He will also be on the sex offenders register for the next 15 years.

So, folks. If you are in the UK and you receive dick pics, it's always worth considering legal action.  

NowIAmTheMaster
Posted (edited)

66 weeks in prison for sending dick pics, the guy also had a history of committing sexual *** so reporting this kind of thing could genuinely be saving someone from a similar fate.

That all said, it shouldn't be on women to have to deal with it, men should just not send dick pics without consent!

Edited by FETMOD-TF
*External link removed
Posted
I can’t believe it’s taken until now to sort this out, and frankly it should be covered by indecent exposure laws
DarkArts1066
Posted
At last.
The narcissists will be up in arms, I am sure, but this has been needed for SO long now.
There is a proven correlation with sex crimes that ***rs often escalate following ‘success’ at what is perceived as “low level ***”.
‘Flashing’ whether face to face, or online would be an example of this ‘low level ***’.
So effectively, if the message can be sent that tells potential ***rs there are severe penalties for this kind of behaviour
It can only be a positive thing.

For this to be effective though, people MUST report incidents of Cyberflashing, AND there needs to be significant publicity around his Law being ratified.

Posted
Good. Hopefully people will think twice about doing it now. I don’t know if any woman that actually likes them, whoever they’re from!
BustyJaney
Posted
It's refreshing to see the gentlemen of this community speaking out about this. I've probably had 100's over the years that I didn't ask for. There was a particularly awful one only last night on here and his profile read " Tall dark and handsome " he started the conversation with I've given you access to my gallery. I said 'are they dick pics? " He replied 'of course'. Despite me saying I was not the slightest bit interested he sent me these pictures directly through chat. He was persistent.
Posted

previously it was covered under 'malicious communications' but much much more difficult to get a conviction - I also think a little bit that a lot of people didn't *know* it was possible to report under malicious communications

So the specific law makes it a lot easier for people to know what they're reporting AND that it is clear in law means that folk don't have the "I didn't know it wasn't OK" defence.  

Posted
Whilst I don't support or condemn cyberflashing in any way, I think the effects of catfishing are far deeper and more damaging and its about time they were tackled. (Cyberflashing to kids is obviously a completely different issue)
Posted
This is such a positive statement that this behaviour is not ok, and I have heard some horrific stories from ladies who have been subjected to this and then suffered incredible *** as the direct result of rebuffing said advances.
I can’t help but sigh though, that it has come to this; should we really need a Law enforcing this? Have we simply given up on educating what’s right and wrong 😔
Pixie_Puff77
Posted
Need that law over here across the pond in the US too!!!
Posted
Like BustyJaney said, it’s nice to see the men speaking out in support of this! I’m here for it!!! I’m fairly new to this community but this is an example of why I love it. I have only received one or two unsolicited pics on here, but in happens frequently on apps in the “vanilla” world.
Posted
Not before time - and hopefully will make men think twice before sending such pics.
Posted
I and others have probably got used to it, rolled our eyes and felt abit ill.
Im wondering how much difference it ll make tbh.
I have noticed recently though ,some men asking permission first
Agreed with Dark Arts there should be more publicity.
Maybe Fet would put a notice up??
Posted
1 hour ago, HatfieldMaster said:

Whilst I don't support or condemn cyberflashing in any way, I think the effects of catfishing are far deeper and more damaging and its about time they were tackled. (Cyberflashing to kids is obviously a completely different issue)

I think this would require a thread about catfishing, rather than hijacking a thread about cyberflashing

Incidentally. there are already laws relating to catfishing - some since 1998.    If someone is using images of you to misrepresent then you can bring a civil case against them for infringement of data rights.  If someone is posing as someone else (including use of an AI generated profile image) for the purpose of making *** then it's covered by current fraud laws.    

Posted
Whilst this law is really positive, there were complexities around it which wouldn't be factors in cases where a male has sent non consensual explicit photos to a recipient once or twice as we see here and other socials/messaging apps
Already an RSO, he was out on licence and recalled due to breaching the terms. One of the recipients was also underage.
As much as I'm hopeful that this legislation will be used appropriately by the CPS with Charges being brought, I can't really see it happening
Posted
3 minutes ago, CopperKnob said:

As much as I'm hopeful that this legislation will be used appropriately by the CPS with Charges being brought, I can't really see it happening

I feel that.

But also. If it does end up serving as a deterrent, that's at least a step in the right direction

an unfortunate is that there was a slight waterdown to the bill, one rejected amended would see someone be able to face charges regardless of context.  I would still say to folk to consider reporting if they can, it may be difficult to get anywhere if they are the only recipient, but if it builds a profile of someone it's a plus 

Posted
1 hour ago, Viking3742 said:
Hopefully many other countries will follow the UK’s lead on this front.

England and Wales aren't the trailblazers here. It's been law in Scotland since yet suggested that 95% of those breaking this law in Scotland go unpunished.

Posted
6 minutes ago, eyemblacksheep said:

I feel that.

But also. If it does end up serving as a deterrent, that's at least a step in the right direction

an unfortunate is that there was a slight waterdown to the bill, one rejected amended would see someone be able to face charges regardless of context.  I would still say to folk to consider reporting if they can, it may be difficult to get anywhere if they are the only recipient, but if it builds a profile of someone it's a plus 

I agree, the burden of proving the intent will be difficult and shouldn't be necessary.
The fact that he had previous for similar offences and that he could be recalled as well as the type of victim he choose made this case much easier for the MoJ to deal with.
Hopefully, it will be the deterrent we hope for

BrumDom2023
Posted
Whilst a lot of the unsolicited pictures are often from men, women do it too, I've had pics sent to me from women, that I never requested & wasn't asked if I wanted to see them but were sent anyway.

I know it is predominantly men that do it but we shouldn't be acting like it's only men that do it, only discussing dick pics, the discussion should be about anyone that does it, that any unsolicited picture is unacceptable, no matter what their sex/gender.
Posted
14 minutes ago, BrumDom2023 said:

Whilst a lot of the unsolicited pictures are often from men, women do it too, I've had pics sent to me from women, that I never requested & wasn't asked if I wanted to see them but were sent anyway.

I know it is predominantly men that do it but we shouldn't be acting like it's only men that do it, only discussing dick pics, the discussion should be about anyone that does it, that any unsolicited picture is unacceptable, no matter what their sex/gender.

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of "women" that do that are probably scammers or camgirls

Posted
19 minutes ago, BrumDom2023 said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is just men that do it. The new legislation clearly covers all genders. It's just that the first (and frankly easy) conviction was regarding a man sending photos of his erect penis to a girl and a woman.

Posted
I think every person. Even straight men on kinky sites know. Women and everyone. Only wants to see The D or P or whatever they want. Not every D. This is a win for everyone.
Glasgowdom1991
Posted
1 hour ago, CopperKnob said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is just men that do it. The new legislation clearly covers all genders. It's just that the first (and frankly easy) conviction was regarding a man sending photos of his erect penis to a girl and a woman.

It's not really new laws it's more England catching up it's been an offence since 2010 in Scotland, simliar to upskirting when I worked in retail we caught a guy doing it and he was super angry saying he done it all the time and it wasnt a crime he was very sullen when police Scotland came arrested him and informed while it wasn't a crime in England (at that time may have changed) it absolutely was a crime in Scotland and he would be spending time in cells . In the end he got 2 years as police found more on his phone but he was arguing with judge till the last.

Posted
I wouldn't dream of sending just anyone photos of my xxxx . Especially as a Hello !! I imagine Men don't mind that as much as Women recieving dxck pics.
Or am I wrong?