First UK conviction for 'cyberflashing'

ey****

Posted
As a side note to this another positive step I've noticed in the past month or so is a poster campaign I've seen on the London Underground, in men's toilets and other places that lists various things including cyberflashing, upskirting and inappropriate touching all with the word "Don't" in front of them and with further details about how to report etc.
So those that think those kind of behaviours are appropriate really can be in no doubt that they're not acceptable.
Posted

To comment on the "I don't think men send dick pics to harass"...

I don't think it's fair blaming this on lack of education, insecurity or not knowing how to engage with people. 

Would they go up to a woman in a bar, or a guy in a bar and whip their dick out? 

Almost certainly not.

Why? Because its sexual harassment should they do that. Indecent exposure and just plain rude. 

It should be no different online.

We are not cavemen anymore. We don't throw our bits about for a mating display. 

If you lack education on how to approach someone or the etiquette and what is or isn't assult/harassment/indecent exposure,  then research first. 

Don't just flop your bits out at folks. It's It's unfair to blame anything education and mental health related as an excuse for this. 

Many folks have mental health issues, not as strong education  or never approached a person in their life and yet they would never ever dream of flashing their bits out. 

Common sense. Don't try to distress folks or think all a person wants or needs if your dick. Just doesn't happen. Even those looking for hook ups will go to site specifics for that. They look or ask. They don't expect someone's dad and their neighbour to just throw nudes out. 

DarkArts1066
Posted
Men (and potentially some women) who flop their bits out - especially on the internet, or via texts and messages do it for perverse sexual gratification, not as a result of mental illness
Whilst there are certain medical conditions which lead to a dysfunction in the brain, which concerns morality and behavioural issues, this is not an excuse.

I have a friend whose son has a psychological condition which means that, sometimes, he will get up, in a complete strangers house, strip off in the bathroom - and shower.

He is not a deviant or a pervert, he’s just hot, and feels the need to cool off - so he does.

However, he doesn’t send images of bits of his anatomy over the internet, or via message to anyone.
Posted
2 hours ago, DarkArts1066 said:
Men (and potentially some women) who flop their bits out - especially on the internet, or via texts and messages do it for perverse sexual gratification, not as a result of mental illness
Whilst there are certain medical conditions which lead to a dysfunction in the brain, which concerns morality and behavioural issues, this is not an excuse.

I have a friend whose son has a psychological condition which means that, sometimes, he will get up, in a complete strangers house, strip off in the bathroom - and shower.

He is not a deviant or a pervert, he’s just hot, and feels the need to cool off - so he does.

However, he doesn’t send images of bits of his anatomy over the internet, or via message to anyone.

That's an interesting point actually and whilst I agree in the main, it's gotten me thinking. There are some people, particularly those with damage to the fronto temporal lobe who are particularly sexually disinhibited, through a lack of capacity. The current generation/s with fronto temporal dementia may not be on the internet (though that will change for future generations), those with an ABI, a typically younger cohort, may well be on the internet.

DarkArts1066
Posted
58 minutes ago, CopperKnob said:

That's an interesting point actually and whilst I agree in the main, it's gotten me thinking. There are some people, particularly those with damage to the fronto temporal lobe who are particularly sexually disinhibited, through a lack of capacity. The current generation/s with fronto temporal dementia may not be on the internet (though that will change for future generations), those with an ABI, a typically younger cohort, may well be on the internet.

That an extremely valid point. I hadn’t considered the medical repercussions like rhat.
So we may well see a change in the demographic which is more familiar with the internet, and therefore an increase in the number of cases reported perhaps ?
I’m now wondering if there may be a degree of balancing out there … between the reduction in current cyberflashing perpetrators, due to legal ramifications, and an increase in numbers with fronto temporal dementia ?

Posted
8 minutes ago, DarkArts1066 said:

That an extremely valid point. I hadn’t considered the medical repercussions like rhat.
So we may well see a change in the demographic which is more familiar with the internet, and therefore an increase in the number of cases reported perhaps ?
I’m now wondering if there may be a degree of balancing out there … between the reduction in current cyberflashing perpetrators, due to legal ramifications, and an increase in numbers with fronto temporal dementia ?

The CPS, and subsequently the Police, typically won't take action against someone that lacks mental capacity (MC), though sometimes they need some help in identifying those that lack MC to start with unless it's blatantly obvious (often with ABI's it's not as they can present really well conversationally and theres a real lack of understanding generally regarding executive capacity as its not in the current CofP although very often raised in case law.)
I think as the prevalence of dementia's grow and, with younger generations spending so much time online, it's to be expected that over forthcoming years, it'll be a factor to be considered.
It again comes back to education, this time for the justice/legal/social care systems as well as for the courts themselves, specifically the COP as to whether restrictions on Internet/social media's need to be in place for some which is currently frowned upon, again particularly for the younger populations.