The Acronyms Of Consent - Are They Enough

Posted
SSC
PRICK
RACK
The recipe for informed consent in kink might be the above but even if you put all those letters in a mixing bowl and stirred till blended i don't believe that you would necessarily get enough consent for a truly ethical scene.
Every word in those acronyms are utterly useless without some further thought and consideration.
These are my thoughts as a discussion post.
SSC
"Safe” could mean a spanking with a feather or it could mean breath play with a BOC cannister next to you. “Sane” could mean a bit of rope play, or it could mean doing anything that requires a defibrillator on the bedside table.
Who decides what is safe or sane? Its far too subjective for me.
PRICK
Contains the words “personal responsibility” which basically means if things go wrong it’s your own ***y fault, no one elses.

By the same token, PRICK is not a 'gotcha' to use after your inexperience hurts your bottom/sub...
"I’m PRICK, dahling. You should have been more careful about playing with someone who hangs subs from the neck”
PRICK doesn’t mean it's okay to use your beginner skills to *** out your girlfriend without a safe signal.
PRICK doesn’t mean performing brain surgery without anaesethic, then telling the patient they should have been more responsible about choosing a neurosurgeon.
Ultimately, PRICK doesn’t mean “I don’t give a 🦆 besides, you knew I was an 🍆.”

Whatever model of consent is being used, all are ineffectual when in the wrong hands.
The above acronyms are nothing more than guidance/theories. They're as much use as a chocolate teapot or the cup of tea analogy.
They're only useful if we interpret the answers intelligently, but they're still subjective. Anyone can justify anything with a few letters and nefarious intentions, so if you’re considering a new partner, explore SSC, RACK, PRICK or whatever model you, or they, are using a little more. It"s not enough to know what the letters stand for. Don't ask them if they're aware of or even if they're following them. Ask them what those letters mean, to them. Do they see any flaws in any of the models? Do you? Their answer/s may just show enough red or even green flags to keep you safe.
Posted
Couldn't agree more. Its all down to interpretation of the individual and In the wrong hands or mind, is deadly

SSC for example. Multiple ways of viewing safe, I'm a qualified chef, so I've been handling knifes for best part of 30 years and happily juggle with them. I would therefore class myself as very safe with knife play. Then watch someone juggle with knifes who thinks they are safe because they cook qt home? My ex mother in law thinks she is a safe driver, no one dares get in her car with white underware.

Consent. You just have to look at old James Bond movies on that one. 99 no's and 1 yes is still a yes. It's sad to say, but these people stil hide amongst us.

Who actually knows if someone into cnc is just hiding in plain site

Sane ? There is no such thing as insanity, just different degrees of normality.
Posted
All very valid points CK and as you say those acronyms are no more than guidance that need to be taken with a dose of common sense and a heaped spoonful of knowledge and awareness - without those other ingredients the acronyms count for not a great deal.
I do think though that they serve as a useful tool for raising awareness, particularly with newbies or those less informed, and forming the basis of discussions to provide further information about potential partners.
Posted
41 minutes ago, Definitely_Dangerous said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say by this comment, could you please elaborate?

Posted
Learned a new one today:
4C's- Caring, Communication, Consent, and Caution
Which I quite like, although again should be treated as a guideline
Posted
11 hours ago, Definitely_Dangerous said:
Couldn't agree more. Its all down to interpretation of the individual and In the wrong hands or mind, is deadly

SSC for example. Multiple ways of viewing safe, I'm a qualified chef, so I've been handling knifes for best part of 30 years and happily juggle with them. I would therefore class myself as very safe with knife play. Then watch someone juggle with knifes who thinks they are safe because they cook qt home? My ex mother in law thinks she is a safe driver, no one dares get in her car with white underware.

Consent. You just have to look at old James Bond movies on that one. 99 no's and 1 yes is still a yes. It's sad to say, but these people stil hide amongst us.

Sane ? There is no such thing as insanity, just different degrees of normality.

Hmm, I don't know about the idea of 'no such thing as insanity' the word insanity/insane is unhelpful due to society's use of it but psychosis (the clinical term) is very real.

Posted

I really enjoy this thread. Very good for new people to read

Posted

An absolutely huge issue is that many people also don’t realise that truly informed consent is a complete myth and doesn’t exist because it is impossible to cover every eventuality. If you can’t discuss/know/understand every possible outcome then you can never give fully informed consent and as every act has a multitude of outcomes or possibilities it is impossible to be aware of them all.

I hope that makes sense. It’s something I’ve recently leaned about from persons far more eloquent than I. 

Posted
On 3/27/2024 at 6:20 PM, gemini_man said:

Learned a new one today:
4C's- Caring, Communication, Consent, and Caution
Which I quite like, although again should be treated as a guideline

This sounds as though it may have come from a healthcare setting x

Posted
7 minutes ago, FatefulDestiny said:

An absolutely huge issue is that many people also don’t realise that truly informed consent is a complete myth and doesn’t exist because it is impossible to cover every eventuality. If you can’t discuss/know/understand every possible outcome then you can never give fully informed consent and as every act has a multitude of outcomes or possibilities it is impossible to be aware of them all.

I hope that makes sense. It’s something I’ve recently leaned about from persons far more eloquent than I. 

Yup, informed consent can only be given when sufficient/adequate information specific to the act/consequences likely or otherwise.
This is why I feel the acronyms fall short/need further thought

Posted
1 hour ago, FatefulDestiny said:

Well said x

Puppy6411
Posted
On 3/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, CopperKnob said:

Yup, informed consent can only be given when sufficient/adequate information specific to the act/consequences likely or otherwise.
This is why I feel the acronyms fall short/need further thought

The important word here is "informed" - be fully aware of what is being consented to.

There is the risk with all of these terms that they can be used like the ISO-9001 regulations for companies;- I have made a claim to my insurance company (they are being hopeless), but they call me by phone, then confirm with a text message, then send an email - boxes ticked; but nothing of any consequence in the phone call, text or email.

Posted (edited)

Edited by FatefulDestiny
Error
Posted
2 hours ago, Puppy6411 said:

The important word here is "informed" - be fully aware of what is being consented to.

There is the risk with all of these terms that they can be used like the ISO-9001 regulations for companies;- I have made a claim to my insurance company (they are being hopeless), but they call me by phone, then confirm with a text message, then send an email - boxes ticked; but nothing of any consequence in the phone call, text or email.

The point is though that FULLY informed consent doesn’t ever exist because one can only consent to the variables which they are made aware of. It is impossible to cover every eventuality as such NOBODY ever gives fully informed consent. 

Puppy6411
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FatefulDestiny said:

The point is though that FULLY informed consent doesn’t ever exist because one can only consent to the variables which they are made aware of. It is impossible to cover every eventuality as such NOBODY ever gives fully informed consent. 

Agreed.

What you "consent to" is actually a framework , vision or mirage of what is expected by you to play out.

But, fundamentally do you know the other sufficiently to trust that they will treat you the way that you desire/want/need in whatever situation precipitates?

... and do you understand them well enough to reciprocate?

Edited by Puppy6411
additional paragraph/sentence added