Feeling lost

Posted (edited)

So everything in my life is going well.. Such great family, friends and partner. My life is the best its been in years and i am the happiest ive been in awhile. The only issue is my career, i just dont enjoy my job anymore and having to work from home is not helping. I'm currently trying to figure out what I want to do career wise but it's not easy to do. Its starting to get me down.... I don't really know the point in this post just wanted to get things off my mind. I guess younger me just thought my life would be very different to how it is now. I thought I'd be in my dream career (which i dont even want to do anymore) and possibly married with kids or kids on the way. My personal life is where i want it to be currently Happy to wait for kids and . Just want to figure out what i want to do career wise

Edited by Deleted Member
sissy_petra_uk_slut
Posted

Working from home is a major change for lots of people. Mental health and wellbeing is a very big concern for people working from home. Can I ask, do you have regular contact with your work colleagues via an online platform do you have T chats with those at work, you may have chatted to when making coffee, has your company checked to see how you and others are doing. You are not alone , it is a very common issue with people trying to balance work and home life. Please DM if you wish to chat about this, but reading between the lines, I would say you are thinking the grass is greener on the other side

Posted
16 minutes ago, pappaman said:

Working from home is a major change for lots of people. Mental health and wellbeing is a very big concern for people working from home. Can I ask, do you have regular contact with your work colleagues via an online platform do you have T chats with those at work, you may have chatted to when making coffee, has your company checked to see how you and others are doing. You are not alone , it is a very common issue with people trying to balance work and home life. Please DM if you wish to chat about this, but reading between the lines, I would say you are thinking the grass is greener on the other side

Thank you for your reply. Yeah me and my team talk every day on our work messenger. Working from home has been difficult for me, i like to be around people but I have adjusted to working from home but could not do it permanently. My manager is great and is always checking up on me. We went out for a meal the other week which was lovely. I just don't want to be stuck in this job role for the rest of my life. This job was meant to be a stepping stone from when I left uni, nearly been here 4 years now. I did want to become a probation officer, i was very passionate about that but now its not what i want to do but i know i dont want to be stuck in a office all my career. I guess i have a lot of soul searching to do before i make any decisions 

sissy_petra_uk_slut
Posted

I'm glad work are supporting you. Its usually the case what we think we want to do, or have visions of doing rarely work out. I have been very fortunate and I am in a career I love doing, and have been doing for over 30 years now. It's way off what I went to college for, and belive it or not, I fell into this job, doing a job, I hated and was like you, just using it until something else came up. Keep the faith, it will happen. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, pappaman said:

I'm glad work are supporting you. Its usually the case what we think we want to do, or have visions of doing rarely work out. I have been very fortunate and I am in a career I love doing, and have been doing for over 30 years now. It's way off what I went to college for, and belive it or not, I fell into this job, doing a job, I hated and was like you, just using it until something else came up. Keep the faith, it will happen. 

Yeah life is funny like that! A lot of people have given me similar advice, that the career they have been doing for years and what they love doing is not what they had planned when they were younger. I know everything will fall into place.. I guess I just have to keep carrying on until things become more clear or i accidentally find the job of my dreams. Thanks for the advice and chatting with me! Much appreciated 😊

sissy_petra_uk_slut
Posted

Pleasure and your welcome 

Posted

Sounds like you've made the decision already...but making the move is a very difficult step to take especially if you're in a job where you're comfortable...it can be a lot to give up. Some people make their own luck it seems to me, those people who always land on their feet, or seem to! Not sure if under current conditions a job or career change is really advisable unless you have a 100% solid offer to take up. Awful lot of people are being made redundant from good jobs pre Covid.

Posted

At age 20 I trained as an accountant, at 30 I started training as a nurse. At 35 I trained as a life coach and at 40 I write paranormal romance novels and erotica... It’s okay not to have your career figured out and the reality is that it will probably all change at some point anyway. Keep thinking it through and be opened minded about the opportunities that present themselves - you’ll find something that makes you happy. And remember the only real failure is carrying on with something that makes you miserable. It’s never wrong to try something new or take your life in a different direction. Trust me, you’ll learn so much along the way x

Posted

My younger me wanted to go to medical school and become a great doctor. That plan went out the window my last year of high school when life had other plans. I found what I do now by taking a few classes at a local college and decided I love it. I’ve been working with the legal system for 22 years and love going to work every day and helping people. I’m now in my last year of college before going for my masters and if I still want my doctorate. Life is what you make it. If you don’t spread your wings you’ll always feel as if you live in a cage. Don’t just quit a job that pays your bills but it may be time to explore other options while still working at the job you have.

Posted

Hi to you LMB.  Girl it would seem that you had fairly set ideas on what you wanted from and for your life, and that you had taken the first steps to getting it, however, what seems to be happening with you now is that personal growth has stalled.  You are still experiencing growth with your Daddy, but that inner satisfaction is starting to wain.

For someone in your age bracket, the pundits say you will change career at least 5 times over the time of your working life, so I guess, rather than just fall into something that presents itself, have you looked at how you can channel things?  For me, I started out bouncing around a few jobs before I joined the army, and was not really expecting to hang in there for that long either, however 39 years later, I was ***d into retirement from it.  If it hadn't been for compulsory retirement, I would still be there, copping the good with the bad, but loving every single day of my service.  I got to a point where I taught all ranks about our corps trade requirements and roles, and developed teams for specific service tasks.

So what things do you enjoy doing?  What were you good at at school?  You say your wanting the family in the future, but for now your happy with what you've got, although there is no real satisfaction and contentment.  What things give you that satisfaction and contentment?  Prior to COVID did things at work give you that contentment or was the virus that highlighted that shortcoming?  

Posted
14 hours ago, Dreamaway said:

Sounds like you've made the decision already...but making the move is a very difficult step to take especially if you're in a job where you're comfortable...it can be a lot to give up. Some people make their own luck it seems to me, those people who always land on their feet, or seem to! Not sure if under current conditions a job or career change is really advisable unless you have a 100% solid offer to take up. Awful lot of people are being made redundant from good jobs pre Covid.

Hey @Dreamaway, thank you for your  reply. I have definitely decided I need a new job. Just unsure what job. I currently work in a solicitors, i basically explain contracts to clients before they enter into agreement with us as well as some admin bits. There is definitely people who always land on their feet and some people don't. It is abit risky at the moment to move jobs and I have recently moved house. So i wouldn't move jobs unless it was 100% solid offer. 

Posted
10 hours ago, Kinky_kat said:

At age 20 I trained as an accountant, at 30 I started training as a nurse. At 35 I trained as a life coach and at 40 I write paranormal romance novels and erotica... It’s okay not to have your career figured out and the reality is that it will probably all change at some point anyway. Keep thinking it through and be opened minded about the opportunities that present themselves - you’ll find something that makes you happy. And remember the only real failure is carrying on with something that makes you miserable. It’s never wrong to try something new or take your life in a different direction. Trust me, you’ll learn so much along the way x

Hey @Kinky_kat, thank you for your reply! Sounds like you have had some fun careers! It's nice to hear of experiences of people changing careers. Definitely up for new experiences and seeing what opportunities are out there. That is true, there is no point in doing something that makes you miserable. Luckily i love my team and that makes the job easier for me for now. X

Posted
9 hours ago, Leisa said:

My younger me wanted to go to medical school and become a great doctor. That plan went out the window my last year of high school when life had other plans. I found what I do now by taking a few classes at a local college and decided I love it. I’ve been working with the legal system for 22 years and love going to work every day and helping people. I’m now in my last year of college before going for my masters and if I still want my doctorate. Life is what you make it. If you don’t spread your wings you’ll always feel as if you live in a cage. Don’t just quit a job that pays your bills but it may be time to explore other options while still working at the job you have.

Hey @Leisa, thank you for your reply. When i was in school i wanted to become a police officer but then when i went to college i wanted to become a probation officer. I then went onto university and did sociology. I left university still wanting to be a probation officer but needed some voluntary experience. I then got my current job. I actually work in a solicitors, like yourself. Thats awesome that you are in your last year of college and could get your doctorate! Congratulations. Very true, definitely nees to spread my wings. I would never quit my job without another job lined up. I have bills to pay and i would go even more crazy without a job ha x

Posted
3 hours ago, MossyBoy said:

Hi to you LMB.  Girl it would seem that you had fairly set ideas on what you wanted from and for your life, and that you had taken the first steps to getting it, however, what seems to be happening with you now is that personal growth has stalled.  You are still experiencing growth with your Daddy, but that inner satisfaction is starting to wain.

For someone in your age bracket, the pundits say you will change career at least 5 times over the time of your working life, so I guess, rather than just fall into something that presents itself, have you looked at how you can channel things?  For me, I started out bouncing around a few jobs before I joined the army, and was not really expecting to hang in there for that long either, however 39 years later, I was ***d into retirement from it.  If it hadn't been for compulsory retirement, I would still be there, copping the good with the bad, but loving every single day of my service.  I got to a point where I taught all ranks about our corps trade requirements and roles, and developed teams for specific service tasks.

So what things do you enjoy doing?  What were you good at at school?  You say your wanting the family in the future, but for now your happy with what you've got, although there is no real satisfaction and contentment.  What things give you that satisfaction and contentment?  Prior to COVID did things at work give you that contentment or was the virus that highlighted that shortcoming?  

Hey @MossyBoy, thank you for your  reply. Definitely, I've always known what I've wanted from life. I know that i want and atleast 2 kids with my own house with a big garden and atleast one silly dog. Yes, I'm still experiencing growth with my daddy which is great, we have been friends for 6 years but only got together around 7 months ago. I think my personal growth has stalled. I have spent the last 10 years growing and changing. When i was 16 i started suffering with anxiety and depression, i didnt really get any help with it until i was 24. I refused to go to the doctors as i didn't want to be put on tablets. But i went and was put on tablets but after 6 months i came off of them and i was in a good place. Within that 6 months i did go through a break up with my long term partner of 8 years. Since then i have become a very independent and strong person, i have been "bettering" myself and actually love the person i have become. This has currently stalled. At the start of lockdown I found it very difficult but lockdown has helped me in alot of ways, it helped me get out of debt that my ex left me in, i also saved *** ontop of that. My family actually made comments on how impressed and how much stronger i am because of lockdown (they were worried my mental health would take a dive) and it showed me how strong mine and my daddy's relationship is as we were apart for majority of lockdown then a month ago we moved in together. I think since I'm im such a good place, its dawned on me that i really dislike my job and i need a change. 

Wow 39 years! Thats along time. I'm really not sure what i want to do, i just  know i want to help people and make a difference in someone's life. For me, im happiest when the people around me are happy and i will do so much for those i care about. 

I actually really struggled at school, i have dyslexia but werent diagnosed until i was 18. So i didnt get much help and were just put in the low classes. When i went to college i did get help and i got top marks on every paper!/test i did then i went on to university (which i was so proud of, as i was the first person in my family to go to uni). At college i studied uniformed public service and at university i studied sociology. I like helping people, if i can make someone's life better then i will. Its important for me that people around me are happy. I have known for awhile i havent enjoyed my job but was to busy working on myself to focus of finding a new career. As lockdown has helped me alot mentally and ly and the fact im working from home... Its shown me that i need a new career and i can't stay in the job i have. 

Posted (edited)

Well LMB, you are definitely submissive....LOL  and the one thing above all other that I am getting from what you have written is that you want to help people and make a difference in their lives.  For that you are to be applauded.  Now though, how do we determine what role that should take.  First up you said you wanted to be a cop (I have been there and done that before joining the army), and the one thing I found in that profession was that it mentally changed you, it hardened your approach towards people because you were never sure on who was going to use you.  So for that reason, I would not recommend that to you.

So you have studied hard and overcome a few constraints along the way, so why not consider the nursing profession?  There are drawbacks to this though.  It involves shift work, and you are dealing with people who are down and not necessarily in a good place because of poor health, but you are there to make their lives better to help them recover from some sort of health upheaval in their lives.  This shift work would make it hard for working in with the current life you have with Daddy, but not impossible.  The one place it would have a major impact on though is if you have kids, then the face time you have with them is going to be impacted, but not impossible.  If you love silly dogs, then have you considered being a vet nurse or even a vet?  Not so much shift work, your still helping people, and your dealing with critters that need your help, and you get to deal with their owners who would love you to death for being so caring.

So girl, I have thrown a couple of ideas your way, and I am not saying any of them are right for you, but it gives you something to think about.  Because of what you want in life, I would urge you to leave the cops alone, because I believe it just wouldn't be right for you.

LMB, if you ever want to chat about any of this privately, then feel free to hit me up girl, and I will be more than willing to give you whatever help I can on finding a new way forward for your life.

Edited by MossyBoy
spelling and grammar
Posted
1 hour ago, MossyBoy said:

Well LMB, you are definitely submissive....LOL  and the one thing above all other that I am getting from what you have written is that you want to help people and make a difference in their lives.  For that you are to be applauded.  Now though, how do we determine what role that should take.  First up you said you wanted to be a cop (I have been there and done that before joining the army), and the one thing I found in that profession was that it mentally changed you, it hardened your approach towards people because you were never sure on who was going to use you.  So for that reason, I would not recommend that to you.

So you have studied hard and overcome a few constraints along the way, so why not consider the nursing profession?  There are drawbacks to this though.  It involves shift work, and you are dealing with people who are down and not necessarily in a good place because of poor health, but you are there to make their lives better to help them recover from some sort of health upheaval in their lives.  This shift work would make it hard for working in with the current life you have with Daddy, but not impossible.  The one place it would have a major impact on though is if you have kids, then the face time you have with them is going to be impacted, but not impossible.  If you love silly dogs, then have you considered being a vet nurse or even a vet?  Not so much shift work, your still helping people, and your dealing with critters that need your help, and you get to deal with their owners who would love you to death for being so caring.

So girl, I have thrown a couple of ideas your way, and I am not saying any of them are right for you, but it gives you something to think about.  Because of what you want in life, I would urge you to leave the cops alone, because I believe it just wouldn't be right for you.

LMB, if you ever want to chat about any of this privately, then feel free to hit me up girl, and I will be more than willing to give you whatever help I can on finding a new way forward for your life.

Haha 90% submissive... I do have my random dominant moments...when the feeling strikes 😂. Thank you, very kind of you to say! 

Yeah i agree on being a cop is not the right role for me. My daddy is a cop and i could not do what he has to deal with. 

I am currently looking into being a paramedic, i have spoken to a paramedic friend and been looking into this to see if ita the right role for me and the steps that i need to take. Shift work doesn't bother me. My father did shift work, so did my previous partner and my current partner...so im used to it ha. 

Not considered being a vet or vet nurse but this is also something for me to look into. Would be a awesome job to have tbf. 

Thank you for the suggestions, definitely something to look into! So far ive looked into being a paramedic and a victim support officer. Definitely have some more research to do. 

I agree about being a cop wouldn't be the right role for me and its not something ive considered for the last 10 years... So no worries there. 

Thank you @MossyBoy thats very kind of you and i appreciate all the advice you have given me. It's really helped! 😊

Posted

Your more than welcome LMB.  As I said before I have had to train people for specific roles in the past, and one of my previous roles was to advise soldiers who were broken physically and who could not continue being soldiers on what things we could do for them to give them a chance of having another career, so helping you in this way was just using that experience.  I really hope things work out for you so you get that chance to help people and get some job satisfaction, and contentment in life.  Best of luck for you and your Daddy as well.  If you ever want to chat, please feel free to HMU.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

In my day job I speak to a lot of people in a similar place to you, especially during Lockdown when people have had more time to actually sit and think about their lives, so you're not alone. You're already doing the right thing in identifying the core things you want to achieve in any future career. Some resources that might help would be the National Careers Service, they give advice on suitable areas and all the other bits that come with job hunting, Prospects is another good site that lets you find possible careers by subject of interest.

If you still want to look into probation work then HMP have a website and helpline to help with that, you could even look into getting a counselling or psychology qualification, with your degree you could do a one year post grad conversion course to get British Psychological Society accreditation and go from there, counselling tends to be more undergrad/classroom based but you can do that once a week at local colleges with organisations like CPCAB. With any extra study you would qualify for Disabled Student's Allowance, which means you'd get free equipment and support to help with your study too.

My key advice would be to take your time, even if you move and don't enjoy it, you can still keep moving to the next opportunity until you find something that fits, I didn't find my dream job until I was in my 40s and it was not something I'd ever considered after 20 years in marketing, but I leave work each day knowing I've helped people and that feels amazing. Good luck!

Posted

If nothing else never forget it is never too late to totally change your mind.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:07 PM, Kinky_kat said:

At age 20 I trained as an accountant, at 30 I started training as a nurse. At 35 I trained as a life coach and at 40 I write paranormal romance novels and erotica...

I spent a about 15 years being an Accountant and hating every minute. In the end I had the chance to totally change career and I did so. 

I am now in Customer Service and I love it. I guess I am a people person after all, who knew?

I guess what I am trying to say here is that it is only inertia that makes us stay where we are when we want to be elsewhere. 

All the way through you will pick up hard and soft skills that will make  you both a better employee and a happier person.

I hope you find what you seek.