The Trouble With Labels.

qu****

Posted

Though purely a personal thought, do labels create the opposite of their intent? Is BDSM/ kink/ fetish more than a label, people enter it for the freedom to express their desires or sexuality, free from constraints that are considered the norm, though in this process they create a label, to me I find labels unnecessary, and have said before it's merely two people who enjoy the opposite sides of the same thing, or in some cases both sides of the same thing, the moment the label is added you constrain yourself to that label, many feeling they have to behave in a certain way, and whilst I'm not really one for the name thing I can understand some are, though oddly if someone feels comfortable enough to call me Sir or Daddy, I feel pleased that they trust me, but it isn't a necessity as it is for some, I behave no differently as many seem too, I'm still the same person, I make an effort in this so that if nothing else to remind me of who I am, the person, not a label

Posted

Two sides of the coin... sometimes the coin is balanced on the edge.

Posted

It is an ice-breaker. If I am looking for a rope bunny, I will look for someone who has that in her profile and not something else. That does not, however, mean that I am not looking for much more than that - but you have start somewhere; with a label.
As @Bounty was saying; two sides to the coin. If the label is all I see, then this is somewhat limiting ..

Posted

or maybe many people see them as useful because they don't expand on them, oh I'm a sub but then no interaction to let people no what sort of sub or if you are more- the graded questions on BDSM.org are great for making people think because they give shades of subness etc, well it made me think and for a mindless, bimbo, ***/bondage slut that's impressive lol

Posted

As for the BDSM tests I deliberately as an experiment answered it by saying predominately no and yes where relevant, the result 70% Dom 30% Masochist, odd seeing as it should of said 100% vanilla from the way I answered,

Posted

I don't get the obsession with the BDSM test.  I think, it can be good for a loose idea if you're someone in the "I think I'm kinky but don't know what that even means" but even then it's extremely limited.

Posted

I'm guessing it can give those who are new or unsure an insight into what that may enjoy,and, put names to things, but that's the only real use I can see

Posted

yep, absolutely.  It's one of those things I don't see the value in especially when it's people who generally know what they want

(it's also not like anyone reads anyone else's results) 

Posted

And as I say when you can answer it in a purely "vanilla" way and it comes up differently to that....

Posted

the value to me is that it gets you thinking in terms of nuances not absolutes, and indeed can get you thinking full stop, if its used in a considered way

Posted
14 hours ago, quietlysure said:

As for the BDSM tests I deliberately as an experiment answered it by saying predominately no and yes where relevant, the result 70% Dom 30% Masochist, odd seeing as it should of said 100% vanilla from the way I answered,

I tried it to see what you mean, and only got 53% vanilla, with 46% experimentalist and 42% submissive

Posted

Lol, but on a serious note there's quite a few who totally believe their results, I'd say only use it as a guide, just because it says, well let's say it said you were 60% degradee, don't just except it, treat it as something to possibly try, if you find you don't like it say no

Posted

I honestly cannot remember my results, but as I am primarily Switch, I find that I can "influence" the results based on the mood I am in. Worth noting that I am never 100% one thing or the other. One of the last ones, I think I came up as 90% rope bunny and 60% rigger but then rigging is what I am drawn to right now ..

Short version of the above: it is a guide