trying to get to sleep

Ch****

Posted

what things do people do to get them to sleep.  I try to sleep but over think tales for ever to fall asleep. I find asmr relation music or audio book helps an I burn insence

Posted

A workout for an hour everyday work well.

Posted

Exposure to bright light (atleast 2500 lux, preferably sunlight) for 2-3 hour in morning help to good sleep wake cycle. Also avoid brigt light before sleep time.

Posted

Before lockdown I had no problem with sleeping. I generally have a set routine before bedtime. I’m now finding that if I’m lying there awake with eyes closed for more than 20 minutes I get up and have a milk based hot drink ( soya milk not dairy) .Once the digestive system starts to process said drink I normally drift off .

Posted

If you are lying there and cannot sleep start reading a book. It is a more pleasant way to pass the time than having those thoughts circulating in your head, diverts your attention from the anxiety of wanting to sleep which will only keep you awake and the effort is enough to make you feel sleepy.

Masterj-6944
Posted

I use an app called headspace that really helps me if I'm having trouble sleeping cas I fine it hard to switch off and tend to over think things. In general anything you find soothing that you can focus your mind on should help audio books or the TV on low volume should do fine. I used to have the TV on just to listen to but I found myself watching it more then trying to sleep lol 

Posted

I find a getting a good routine helps.  Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day.  Avoid using your phone/tablet for an hour before as they omit blue light which messes up your sleep pattern (there is a name of what it messes up and i can’t think of it).   

Also having a good daily exercise routine, taking a nice warm bath in the evening and avoid drinks with caffeine in them can also help you sleep. 

Make sure room is at right temperature and not too hot or too cold and sleep naked. 

Mediating before bed, listening to hypnosis/audiobook also works for me.  

Posted
13 hours ago, Masterj-6944 said:

I use an app called headspace that really helps me if I'm having trouble sleeping cas I fine it hard to switch off and tend to over think things. In general anything you find soothing that you can focus your mind on should help audio books or the TV on low volume should do fine. I used to have the TV on just to listen to but I found myself watching it more then trying to sleep lol 

iv not heard of headspace ty will try it 

Posted

some great ideas ty. sadly due to medical problems exersice isnt a good idea for me

Posted

To get to sleep I do the alphabet game in my head. I think of a subject i.e. Movies and think of names of movies starting from A to Z. If I make it to Z I pick another subject and continue. Usually I get to M and drop off. It takes your mind off other things and you're thinking of completing a mini game.

Posted

I struggle with sleep due to my own health issues but here are a few things that I find help: 

• Weighted blankets - pressure therapy
  • Peppermint foot and hand spray - acts as cooling agent (The Body Shop has a great one)
  • Reversing the position of sleep - sleeping at the foot of the bed opposed to the head of the bed
  • *** related sleep - portable heating pads with timer, use velcro strap to keep in position
  • CPAP  - positive airway therapy (Sleep study required)
  • Mobilization - strapping *** affected joints, using pillows and wedges
  • Pillows - changing the style of pillow 
  • Restless legs - pressure therapy 
  • Schuessler Tissue Salts - available from various health food stores or online 
Posted
4 hours ago, ChastityPup said:

To get to sleep I do the alphabet game in my head. I think of a subject i.e. Movies and think of names of movies starting from A to Z. If I make it to Z I pick another subject and continue. Usually I get to M and drop off. It takes your mind off other things and you're thinking of completing a mini game.

wow I thought I was the only 1 who did that. I'm in need of new subjects. iv done lots. pop stars bands. food ***s country city's lots of others

Posted

Trazodone - never misses - you’ll be out in 20 minutes and dosage can be adjustable. Talk to your doctor about this. Trazodone is an old anti-depressant that is now frequently prescribed for sleep.
I suffered from insomnia for many, many years - I’ve watched lots of sunrises - and my overall health rapidly declined. Once I got off my “no ***” stance, my whole world changed for the better. It’s amazing what a good night’s sleep can do for perspective. I hope you find some relief. It’s just ***! Hang in there and you’ll find something to work for you.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Pgulper said:

Trazodone - never misses - you’ll be out in 20 minutes and dosage can be adjustable. Talk to your doctor about this. Trazodone is an old anti-depressant that is now frequently prescribed for sleep.
I suffered from insomnia for many, many years - I’ve watched lots of sunrises - and my overall health rapidly declined. Once I got off my “no ***” stance, my whole world changed for the better. It’s amazing what a good night’s sleep can do for perspective. I hope you find some relief. It’s just ***! Hang in there and you’ll find something to work for you.

ty sadly I'm on so much meds due to fibromailger.  I shock people sometimes when I say I slept

Posted

I avoid using the computer past 8:00 PM.  I generally relax in the evenings with more passive forms of entertainment, like reading or TV.  In terms of TV, I stick to DVD's or Netflix, as I find ad-saturated broadcast TV to be too jarring.  For chronic sleep problems, an evening melatonin supplement may be helpful (found in the vitamin aisle).

Posted
7 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

I avoid using the computer past 8:00 PM.  I generally relax in the evenings with more passive forms of entertainment, like reading or TV.  In terms of TV, I stick to DVD's or Netflix, as I find ad-saturated broadcast TV to be too jarring.  For chronic sleep problems, an evening melatonin supplement may be helpful (found in the vitamin aisle).

I hate adverts when I'm settled down an just about to drop of an bsng an advert. I try audio books. but theres good documentarys on Netflix i can listen to.

ty for the recommendation i will ask my dr about the supplement or my pharmacist as i take a number of medications for fibromailger. 

Phoenix what fo you listen to on netflix. i sometimes just listen to tv shows iv seen already of documentaries 

Posted

Meditation is my go to and I also use various CBD products and drink herbal tea.  However if I can’t switch off at all I just get out of bed and just carry on as normal, like do some cleaning until I feel sleepy.  

Posted

if I carnt sleep after an hour I crochet

Posted

I wake up everyday by 615 so most night I go to bed by 2300. My app sleep cycle record my deep sleep by 2330. Kind of fractured sleep  at 3 then back into deep sleep 330..

Sleeping issues is very commun, routine is good, sleeping tablets might created an addiction, avoiding alcohol is good. Exercise might have an opposite effect on some people. Camomille was the norm and it’s natural. 
as mentioned from few it’s when the mind is busy that make you stop going to sleep... relaxing music prior to go to bed might help... 

Posted

yes I refuse to ues sleeping tablets as I may never be able to not use them. I used them 1a only. I was I'll in hospital an could not sleep dr said yo ues sleeping tablets so I did just 1s

Posted (edited)

Sleep is an odd thing.

Quite often I will tell my body when to sleep by closing my eye's, this rarely works  (well not as quickly as I want it to).

Some people can sleep just like this (My Dad for one), but I can't.

Drinking plentiful alcohol can help you to sleep, however this kind of sleep is not healthy and doesn't manage you to reach deep or REM sleep properly.

And quite often especially in my case you can feel so tired that you need to sleep, but when your in bed and ready to sleep you just cant' fall off to sleep.  This gives me headaches.

On the most part though, I think I get between 2-10 hrs sleep per day during the week, usually when I let my body sleep or when it demands that I sleep (caffeine required when at work) .

Edited by Sissipid
Posted

I've found that I fall to sleep easier with the TV on, however this bugs other residents trying to sleep. 

It is also found that if you sleep with other devices going on then you don't get the proper rest, (I presume hitting DEEP or REM sleep).

However I find just before hitting my head to the pillow that I find my phone to play something, either music or something that I usually watch on TV will help me fall to sleep.  And the phone switches off after so long, which then allows myself to hit the proper deep and rem sleep that I need.

Posted

Am I the only one who masturbates? I find an orgasm helps me sleep 🤷🏻‍♀️

Posted
11 hours ago, RestlessRaven said:

Am I the only one who masturbates? I find an orgasm helps me sleep 🤷🏻‍♀️

even that doesnt make me tired 

Fireball7495
Posted

Sex helped me to sleep very well when I was married.  Indeed, I couldn't avoid it.  Then my wife became violent and I had to kick her out.  Narcissism sucks.  So, back to the drawing board.

Masturbation barely works at all for me, and sleep is barely a result.

Reading helps.  I can visualize or medtitate myself to sleep, but I first have to remember that I **can**.