Munch Notes/Agenda - All The Colours Of The Rainbow - LGBTQIA - 3rd June 2021

li****

Posted

Munch Notes/Agenda - All The Colours Of The Rainbow - LGBTQIA - 3rd June 2021.

Host @lil-monster

Content @lil-monster

1.So to begin with, does anyone know what each letter stands for in LGBTQIA? 

•Lesbian

•Gay

•Bi-sexual

•Transgender

•Questioning and/ or Queer

•Intersex

•Asexual and/or Ally

2.There are other variations of the letters, can anyone tell me what else they can include? 

•LGBTIQAPD - which includes pan sexual and Demi sexual.

•LGBTIQA+/LGBTQ+ - Adding a “+” to the acronym is an acknowledgement that there are non-cisgender and non-straight identities which are not included in the acronym. 

•Also can include Trans* – The asterisk next to trans refers to all of the identities within the gender identity spectrum, other than people who identify with the gender that they were assigned at birth. Including the asterisk after trans denotes a special effort to include all non-binary, genderqueer, and gender non-conforming identities.  

3.Does anyone know the origins of the flag?

•Originally devised by artist Gilbert Baker, an openly gay activist. In 1974, Baker met Harvey Milk, an influential gay leader, who three years later challenged Baker to come up with a symbol of pride for the gay community.

•LGBTQ individuals and allies currently use rainbow flags and many rainbow-themed items and color schemes as an outward symbol of their identity or support. The rainbow flag is also commonly used as a general symbol of social equality and individuality. In addition to the rainbow, many other flags and symbols are used to communicate specific identities within the LGBTQ+ community.

4.Can anyone tell me what each colour represent on the original flag? 

•Hot pink - Sex

•Red - Life

•Orange - Healing

•Yellow - Sunlight

•Green - Nature

•Turquoise - Magic/Art

•Indigo - Serenity

•Violet - Spirit

5.Can anyone tell me how many Pride flags there are altogether?

•The original flag which included the hot pink stripe

•The flag for the Lesbian community

•The Philadelphia Pride flag which included black and brown stripes

•The Transgender flag

•The Non-binary Pride flag

•The Non-binary Trans flag

•The Intersex flag

•The flag for the Asexual community

•The Bisexual Pride flag

•The Pansexual flag

•The Gay Men Pride flag

•The Modern Pride flag

•The Abrosexual flag

•The Aromanticism flag

•The Asexuality Flag

•The Bear culture flag

•The Genderqueer flag

•The Leather Pride flag

6.Does anyone know what the pink triangle represents?

•A pink triangle has been a symbol for various LGBTQ identities, initially intended as a badge of shame, but later reclaimed as a positive symbol of self-identity. In Nazi Germany in the 1930s and 1940s, it began as one of the Nazi concentration camp badges, distinguishing those imprisoned because they had been identified by authorities as gay men, a category that also included bisexual men and transgender women. In the 1970s, it was revived as a symbol of protest against homophobia, and has since been adopted by the larger LGBTQ community as a popular symbol of LGBTQ pride and the LGBTQ rights movement.

7.Does anyone here identify as lgbtqia or have any family or friends that do?

•I myself am pan sexual. My *** is gay and I have many LGBTQIA friends too 

8.Have LGBT people always existed?

•Yes. LGBT people have always been a part of our communities. There are examples from every locality and time-period, from prehistoric rock ***tings in South Africa and Egypt to ancient Indian medical texts and early Ottoman literature. 

9.Can anyone name some lgbtqia activists? 

•Marsha P. Johnson 

•Paris Lees

•Harvey Milk

•Laverne Cox

•Alexya Salvador 

•Gilbert Baker

•Chas Bono

•RuPaul Andre Charles

•Lady Gaga

•Madonna

•Ellen DeGeneres

•There are so many names and people who have been activists for the community for years past and present!! 

10.Does anyone know of the stonewall riots and what it represented for the LGBT community and what the goal for them was?

•The riots happened between June 28 – July 3, 1969

•Gay liberation and LGBT rights in the United States

•A year after the uprising, to mark the anniversary on June 28, 1970, the first gay pride marches took place in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

•Today, LGBT Pride events are held annually throughout the world toward the end of June to mark the Stonewall riots. 

11.Has anyone here been witness to any lgbtqia hatred? Towards yourself and or friends? 

12.Do you believe that kids should be taught about the lgbtqia community at school?

13.Can anyone name any film or tv show that has put the community at the forefront? 

•Rupauls Drag Race

•Pose

•The L Word

•Queer Eye

•Queer as folk

•Pride

•Blue is the warmest colour

•The Birdcage

•Priscilla Queen of the Desert

•Too Wong Foo

•Kinky Boots

• Rush

•It's a Sin

•Brokeback Mountain

•Bound

•There are so many I could go on lol

14.Does anyone know which gender pronouns to use? 

•Gender pronouns indicate gender, for example, she/her/hers, he/him/his. Common gender-inclusive pronouns include they/them/theirs

15.What is the difference between sex and gender?

•Typically, people use “sex” to refer to a person's assigned sex at birth based upon physical anatomy and chromosomes. “Gender” is typically used to refer to roles, appearance, interests, and one’s psychological sense of themselves as a gendered being.

16.Does anyone know what Transgender means?

•Transgender (sometimes shortened to “trans”) is an umbrella term used to describe a wide range of identities - including transsexual people,cross-dressers (sometimes referred to as"transvestites”),people who identify as third gender, and others whose appearance and characteristics are perceived as gender atypical.

17.What's the difference between Transgender and Transsexual?

•In general terms, the word transgender refers to people who identify differently from their biological sex. For example, a transgender person who is biologically female may feel that a male identity is a better fit and take the following steps:

• Use a male name instead of a female name.

• Use male pronouns instead of female pronouns.

• Dress as a man.

• Engage in activities that are typically associated with men in that culture, and vice versa for a Male.

•A transsexual is a person who physically transitions from male to female or vice versa. Some feel that the word transsexual should not always refer to physical changes. And some transsexuals no longer refer to themselves as such after they have finished their transition. They call themselves either men or women.

18.What is intersex?

•An intersex person is born with sexual anatomy, reproductive organs, and/or chromosome patterns that do not fit the typical definition of male or female. This may be apparent at birth or become so later in life. An intersex person may identify as male or female or as neither. Intersex status is not about sexual orientation or gender identity: intersex people experience the same range of sexual orientations and gender identities as non-intersex people.

19.What kind of human rights ***s are LGBT people exposed to?

•LGBT people of all ages and in all regions of the world suffer from ***s of their human rights. They are physically attacked, kidnapped, ***d and ***ed. In more than a third of the world’s countries, people may be arrested and jailed (and in at least five countries executed) for engaging in private, consensual, same-sex relationships. States often fail to adequately protect LGBT people from discriminatory treatment in the private sphere, including in the workplace, housing and healthcare. LGBT children and adolescents face bullying in school and may be thrown out of their homes by their parents, ***d into psychiatric institutions or ***d to marry. Transgender people are often denied identity papers that reflect their preferred gender, without which they cannot work, travel, open a bank account or access services. Intersex children may be subjected to surgical and other interventions without their or often their parents’ informed consent, and as adults are also *** to *** and discrimination.

20.What happened in the 80s that devastated the community?

•HIV/AIDS

21.Are HIV and AIDS the same?

•HIV is a virus that attacks the immune system and AIDS is a term that can only be used when HIV has caused severe damage to the immune system. But people can now live with HIV and be treated.

22.Anymore questions or comments

Posted

Hi I'm post opp I see myself as a women . Just thought to be honest and put trans on profile Hi loads of info on that I didnt no . Also a lot of groups tend to miss out the t.  Also run pauls drag race is a bit transphobic too

Posted
3 hours ago, Sara1986 said:

Hi I'm post opp I see myself as a women . Just thought to be honest and put trans on profile Hi loads of info on that I didnt no . Also a lot of groups tend to miss out the t.  Also run pauls drag race is a bit transphobic too

Rupaul has come a long way on drag race in the last few years or so he's started having transgender queens on there. I think we definitely need more education on trans etc it's kinda swept under the carpet etc but I'm a fierce activist for LGBTQIA+ rights and I'll fight till I take my last breath.

Posted
On 6/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Sara1986 said:

Re: profile, yeah saw that mess during the profile set up and it bugged me as well. Sent in a ticket, maybe if enough of us do the same they'll change it.

Re: Rupaul

It's really unfortunate that a lot of transphobic stuff gets viewed as 'trans-positive' by folks who don't know better. I appreciated the intent, but I was kind of cringing during the media discussion. Too Wong Fu? Ace Ventura even came up... Just not enough info about trans folks that's widely know, and so few good media representations.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JessM said:

Re: profile, yeah saw that mess during the profile set up and it bugged me as well. Sent in a ticket, maybe if enough of us do the same they'll change it.

Re: Rupaul

It's really unfortunate that a lot of transphobic stuff gets viewed as 'trans-positive' by folks who don't know better. I appreciated the intent, but I was kind of cringing during the media discussion. Too Wong Fu? Ace Ventura even came up... Just not enough info about trans folks that's widely know, and so few good media representations.

I have many trans and non binary friends and yes there isn't enough trans positivity out there and I even say that myself. I've seen my friends go through hell and back just to be included and inclusive etc. Hence why we need more people to be more forward about it and yeah the media representation is the worst, it always has been not much we can do there unfortunately unless they change their views etc. Hence why more and more trans people who are in the public eye are doing all that they can to push and educate i.e people like Laverne Cox, Paris Lees, Janet Mock, Jennifer Finney Boylan etc. I get that the majority of people on here and others off the site maybe need to research more about trans+ but what WE can do to help on here is give those people advice and help if they need it or ask etc 

Also the munch you are talking about was a different one to this one 😊 

Edited by lil-monster
Posted
On 6/5/2021 at 10:16 AM, lil-monster said:

•An intersex person is born with sexual anatomy, reproductive organs, and/or chromosome patterns that do not fit the typical definition of male or female. This may be apparent at birth or become so later in life. An intersex person may identify as male or female or as neither. Intersex status is not about sexual orientation or gender identity: intersex people experience the same range of sexual orientations and gender identities as non-intersex people.

It is great to see some discussion on what the I represents in LGBTQIA. However, being intersex is not a status, it is how a person is from birth, it is genetic not something a person chooses. The best place to learn about what it means to be intersex and its definitions is ask someone who is Intersex. In addition more information can be found on The Intersex Society of North America  website, it is highly informative and explains a great deal about the variations of how being intersex is defined. Intersex is the last of the LGBTQIA+ to be understood more fully in a wider context and what it is intersex people have experienced at the hands of non-consensual medical intervention and continue to experinece due to being intersex. What is of interest  and hearting to know is many non-western cultures have long recognised and openly celebrate intersex people, and have recoginsed them in their own right along side the traditional male/female. For example: in Indonesia these are the Waria, the Bugis culture of Sulawesi has been described as having three sexes (male, female and intersex), Hijras in India, two-spirited people in Native American culture, Muxe in Mexico, and the Bakla in the Philippines. At times the term "intersex" is misused within the LGBTQIA+ communities, which is a shame, I don't believe this to be intentional, it is more down to a lack of knowledge and education. However with greater education and famous intersex people coming forward such as Morgan Carpenter, Hanne Gaby Odiele, and Pidgeon Pagonis, people in general are gaining a better understanding of what intersex means and celebrate those who are.

To clarify, I am not intersex, my partner of 5 years is. When we first met, I never knew there was a third-sex, through his patience at explaining who he is and what it means to be intersex I now have a better understanding of what intersex is, and fully support those who are.