Location location location?

cautiousswitch

cautiousswitch
Posted

I have noticed on non-kink dating sites that a lot of profiles that get flagged as scams seem to list the same small towns as where they are from.  I've gotten curious if the same is true here.

I can't speak for Europe or the UK because I'm not familiar enough with the geography to distinguish a city from a small town.  Also, some profiles list counties instead of cities.  Also, your train systems make it perfectly reasonable that a professional Dom/me could make a reasonable living operating out of a small town and even non-professionals could reasonably expect to meet someone without relying on a local kink community existing.

But looking at some of the US profiles I have to wonder if some of these cities really have a large enough kink community to support the number of profiles I see claiming to be from them.  I can't help but think that most of them are scams because the location just doesn't seem capable of having that many profiles from it.  But then I ask myself why would so many scammers choose the same location to create a false profile from? 

Posted

Lazy Scammers. I am seeing the same thing. I hesitate to point out what I see as I do not wish to alert them to their mistakes. Let's just say I report a lot lol.

Posted

A mix of an automation script, or following instructions, or random without understanding the geography

But I think there's double benefit here - if you do see someone from a small town you know, talking about the town is a good conversation topic anyway - and, of course, very easy for someone to fall into a pit if they don't know the town

Posted

This has long been a problem across all sites, I've lost count of the times when chatting they've asked where Im from a reply with a town not overly far away but not exact either I get omg I'm literally 10 mins away, in reality it turns out if I said I'm from molash their reply is wow I'm only in Bristol, 176 miles in 10 mins, Hmmmmm

Posted

I’ve noticed the same and suspect some people are trying to hide themselves (keep private), but they could also add that on their profile- which they don’t.

Posted

Someone tried to scam me on Twitter - it was a very blunt "I want to come over and fuck you, I'm in the area" - ha... "just pay for my petrol - it's $150" - well, there were two things wrong with that straight away (and a 3rd being - I actually know the person they were impersonating) 

Posted

I know from "normal" dating sites quite a few women put a generic location down for safety reasons, recommended by some sites, but will tell you so on chatting for a bit, but even then still relatively local, i.e. putting down London instead of Kent, though the same women will call men liars and have something to hide if they've done the same, ( it's happened to me) I just find that side of it most peculiar

Posted

What small towns in the U.S. are getting mentioned a lot?  I haven't seen any from around where I am.  The only one that does seem to appear often, is Colorado Springs---which I know DOES have a large fetish community.

cautiousswitch
Posted
19 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

What small towns in the U.S. are getting mentioned a lot?  I haven't seen any from around where I am.  The only one that does seem to appear often, is Colorado Springs---which I know DOES have a large fetish community.

I've seen more profiles from Pretty Prairie, Kansas than from New York and LA combined.  That's the one that stands out the most.   There are some places, supposedly close to me, I've never heard of.  Could be a suburb of a larger city, I'm more familiar with main cities than their suburbs so I initially don't think much of it, but when the suburbs start showing up more often I've got to wonder.

To be clear, I'm not saying every profile from ________ is a scam.  But I have noticed a tendency for the same cities to appear in profiles flagged as scams on various sites.  It's more of a curiosity.  If location is left blank in a profile do certain cities get entered as defaults by the system? Is it one scammer running multiple profiles and just being unoriginal with the location? Or is there some cosmic *** that makes multiple scammers choose the same location for their profiles? Also, is it screwing over the legitimate people from those areas?