Taking Pictures?

Newbie98-5996

Newbie98-5996
Posted

Hi! i really want to try taking pictures of myself, specifically my body... but the issue is that I'm really struggling to get good and flattering angles for my body. So I'm looking for tips for lighting, camera angle and all that kind of stuff if anyone could help me that would be great! Thanks in advance :$

bikerscruff
Posted
Speaking just for myself I find that positioning the camera about 5 miles from me makes for a far more acceptable picture. lol
Posted
Best way is to experiment with natural and artificial lighting and try different angles. Don't be afraid to critique your own pics, and if you have a friend or two here ask them what they think in Pvt before posting publicly
Newbie98-5996
Posted

I think angles are what I’m bad at, it’s difficukt to find something flattering for my body and for it to have good lighting 

Posted

Have you got someone, maybe a friend that can take photos for you? Otherwise prop up your phone somewhere on timer and be spontaneous.

Slightly angled down is generally more flattering, just take as many as your memory card/phone allows be selective. You'll soon see what works for you x

Newbie98-5996
Posted

Hi @McBan! I’m not really confident enough to let anyone take pictures of me, I don’t think any of my friends would really want to either... think I need to find somewhere to put my phone 

Posted
Hey @Newbie98! In that case try standing in front of the mirror so you can see your phone screen in the reflection. Hold your phone above shoulder height (use a selfie stick if you have one) and go for it. No shame when you have a delete button!
Newbie98-5996
Posted

@McBan thanks for the advice! Think I just need to work on my angles and my confidence! Then I’ll have some great photos I can post hopefully ☺️

Posted

@Newbie98Happy days. Have fun with it and I'm sure they'll be great 😊

(Now need to take my own advice and get some pics up 😒)

Newbie98-5996
Posted

@McBan you can do it! I’m sure you look great! 

Justlittleme
Posted

Absolutely- selfie sticks are your friend... there’s a reason all my pictures are taken from above, lol 

im Suh a shy and insecure person it’s quite comical at times. But Everyone who wants to should learn to take pictures of themselves that They like. 

Once you can own it, you’ll be awesome 😉☺️

Newbie98-5996
Posted

@Justlittleme thank you! All your pictures on your profile look really good! You’re so pretty ☺️ Thank you for the advice! 

Justlittleme
Posted
Awk thankyou petal. Best thing about selfies is that you can take dozens and only keep one! Mwahahaha Do silly pictures just for you too- not to show anyone necessarily, just again, for confidence... I’d dread handing my phone over to someone 😅 lol
Kinkyjim199
Posted

Use a selfie stick, i know someone who uses them to take naughty pictures of themself 

Posted

Selfie sticks, flexible camera stand, Bluetooth shuttle controls and post-processing. I'm an amateur with my camera and I hard take perfect shots on the first try, much less a self shot. Oh, and play with lighting. That helps tremendously. 

Posted

I'd agree with everything here really.. As with many things... Just keep trying until you get the perfect shoot 😊..looking forward to seeing your work....!

Posted

Trouble is these days most people are taking pics on mobile phones and they use a pretty wide angle lens - great for cramming more into the shot but they will give you the 'back of a spoon' look if too close and, to be honest, arms length is too close. The selfie stick will help to get distance, or prop up the camera(phone) and use a self timer app. If you're indoors (though if your pics are naughty part of me hopes you're outdoors) and using window light then get pretty close to said window and have it to your side but in front of you - as if you're standing at one edge of the window. That way the maximun light falls across you from infront but to one side, which is usually more flattering than if it's hitting you full in the face. Don't do this with direct sunlight streaming through window - way too contrasty! If you want to get even fancier, set up a big white sheet or big piece of white card (surely you have that lying around!) opposite the window (or wherever your light is coming from) to 'bounce' some of it back onto the bits of you in shadow, which will be even more flattering by softening the shadows. Try not to use a built in flash on a phone or camera - they put them next to the lens which is THE worst place to put a flash if you want a person to like like a person. Oh, and think about backgrounds - is there anything there which will draw the eye away from you? Regarding angles - as others have said looking down from above often works well but you'll find getting some distance from the camera open up more options - you can always crop the shots afterwards. Hope that helps a little.