Machiavellianism, hot or not?

No****

Posted
6 hours ago, NomadRogue said:

That's not completely true. Machiavellianism is can be very empathetic, just a different kind... cognitive empathy.

Maybe not, but if we're focussing on whether they're empathetic, unpicking the difference between hot and cold empathy is useful. People high in Machiavellianism tend to have a better understanding of cold empathy and do not feel hot empathy which explains why they are so cold and uncaring with the inability to understand how their actions impact upon others because their focus is centred around acheiving their own goals at all costs, damn anyone else.
Again, not traits I'm attracted to

Posted

Definitely f**ks you up mentally and emotionally being that way, I was that way when I was younger and didn’t even trust my best friend half the time. Would not recommend

Posted
I don’t think having a Machiavellian trait is necessarily a bad thing, it depends on how the individual utilises it.

I would say that I definitely have such a trait and I use it in my professional life when negotiating. It’s part of my Type A personality. I certainly wouldn’t use it to manipulate a play partner into doing something they didn’t want to do.

I have whispered in my partner’s ear during scenes: “You know I could make you do anything I wanted..”. There’s a certain dark truth to that, that always draws a bite of her lip and sends a shiver down her spine.

So I guess playing with the fantasy of what someone with a Machiavellian trait COULD do (rather than actually manipulating someone) is probably the sexy middle-ground.

PS: Totally appreciate that if you’ve been hurt and manipulated by someone in the past, it might not be sexy and instead just triggering. This is why communication is so important in kink.