A Question For The Dtypes

CopperKnob

Posted
I see those posts and think of them as a power play/ showing off what you got, almost like a fishing lure. "Like what you see? I can use them on you too." Or maybe even to give inspiration to others on what they can use on their subs. Kinda like subs showing off the gear they wear, almost like, again, a fishing lure, to attract potential doms
Posted
4 minutes ago, O-Polanco said:
I see those posts and think of them as a power play/ showing off what you got, almost like a fishing lure. "Like what you see? I can use them on you too." Or maybe even to give inspiration to others on what they can use on their subs. Kinda like subs showing off the gear they wear, almost like, again, a fishing lure, to attract potential doms

So it's kinda like on Plenty of Fish where a bunch of guys went fishing and posted a pic of themselves holding, well, a fish?

Posted
8 minutes ago, O-Polanco said:

I agree that's part of it, but I also believe it is a way for a Dom to show that they have vested in being a Dom. Not just saying im a Dom... I know when I have done it, it has been so a sub doesn't think I am some "fly-by-night" Dom who doesn't have a clue.. at least that's the intention...

Posted
A lot of "Doms" only have beginner sets of toys/restrainings. Sometimes you can differentiate in "skills" just by asking to see their equipment
Posted
12 minutes ago, Daddy-n-Paddy said:

I agree that's part of it, but I also believe it is a way for a Dom to show that they have vested in being a Dom. Not just saying im a Dom... I know when I have done it, it has been so a sub doesn't think I am some "fly-by-night" Dom who doesn't have a clue.. at least that's the intention...

I think it's an English saying but my Nanna used to say "all fur coat, no knickers"

Posted
9 minutes ago, DevilKnot said:
A lot of "Doms" only have beginner sets of toys/restrainings. Sometimes you can differentiate in "skills" just by asking to see their equipment

I was gonna let you have that one til I started chuckling about "asking to see thair equipment" 😂
Sorry - hangs head in shame

Posted
🤷🏻‍♂️
Depending on the pic you can differentiate between "Fake", "Novice", and "Experienced" 😉
Posted
Chiming in because we all know I have an opinion about *everything* 🤣 I quite like to see the toy collection pics. It gives me information - sometimes positive, sometimes not. I judge what's there, the quality of it, the ways it's presented, the background (yes, I look to see if the sheets are smoothed on the bed, I confess). It's a piece of the puzzle, and I'd defo rather see that than the dick pics lol
Posted
I have seen submissives display their tools/toys/etc. as well. I don’t know that anyone has a reason be them D or s.

In part it may be because they saw someone else post a pic and figured it was normal.

Some people are also proud of their collections of paddles, toys, restraints and other goodies.

I was going to say that I actually see it more frequently, but realized it is likely because I have more submissive friends as well as if I am looking at strangers pages.
Posted

Although I'd skirted with the community to various degrees for years before I joined here, when I signed up to Fet it was my absolute first experience of an online kink/BDSM community and profile system (I'd had friends try to cajole me to join "the other site" since the early noughties but always abstained). I think that because of that, not knowing etiquette of the place or what the done thing with profiles was, I took my lead from what I could already see on the site from established profiles. A lot of people posted pics of their kink gear, not just the Dtypes but many of the subs too and often it seemed far more than pictures of their actual face/self. So I kind-of assumed that's just what people did, that it was expected, that potential partners (of whichever side of the slash) would want to see a graphically representative sample of what they might expect from an engagement with that member (which also links in with @Daddy-n-Paddy's comment about demonstrating that one is invested/serious and not any 50 Shades wannabe twunt just dropping in to see what they can pull/***). I hadn't taken pics of my gear before joining Fet, and if I hadn't seen it done by others I don't think it would have crossed my mind to take and upload them.

That said, now that it's done and while most pics of my gear are from back then, I have uploaded a new piece on occasion. Why? Pride, probably. I haven't bought anything new for a long while (not had any reason to 😂🤦‍♂️) but during lockdowns I acquired at least a couple of pieces which I was extremely happy with. Reflecting on the way I said "pieces" without even thinking then, perhaps there is even an artistic appreciation of them which I want to share. I don't upload the pics thinking "ooooh this combination blindfold and ball-gag in leather is going to have the ladies dropping at my feet" 🤣🤣 however I might think "that's a damned nice compact pillory-style piece I've just bought, I wonder if anyone would appreciate seeing it 🤔". And when somebody comments about an item I've shared, I feel good that it's had an interesting/positive impact on their day. I've had quite a few messages from people asking me about things in my gallery, wanting an explanation as to how something works or such. So it then becomes an educational experience too, and I'm happy to help. I like to feel vaguely useful 😂

Posted
36 minutes ago, CopperKnob said:

I think it's an English saying but my Nanna used to say "all fur coat, no knickers"

Definitely...English....lol knickers who uses knickers in the US.. 😆 🤣 😂 😹

Posted
11 minutes ago, Lady_Char said:

Chiming in because we all know I have an opinion about *everything* 🤣 I quite like to see the toy collection pics. It gives me information - sometimes positive, sometimes not. I judge what's there, the quality of it, the ways it's presented, the background (yes, I look to see if the sheets are smoothed on the bed, I confess). It's a piece of the puzzle, and I'd defo rather see that than the dick pics lol

Mmmmm now I like this, I'm aware that the quality of my goods covers quite a spectrum (because there's inevitably some gear which was bought when I was still learning and was reluctant to spend, some of it is such trash and I'd never use it yet for some reason I still took pics?? 🤣). But that background thing, I find that very interesting. I remember when I took several of my pics getting sooooooooo frustrated at creases in the duvet 😂 I was recently considering re-shooting most of it, with a more consistently attractive background, clearer angles and perhaps better lighting. Until I realised that I really didn't want to, and if whether somebody was interested in me or not hinged on how pics of some of my kink gear looked, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

Posted
@Aranhis... after you post I just had to look at your collection and there are now lots of things I want to my collection, thank you very much for that...you rat B**tard.....lol..Much respect...
Posted
1 minute ago, Daddy-n-Paddy said:

@Aranhis... after you post I just had to look at your collection and there are now lots of things I want to my collection, thank you very much for that...you rat B**tard.....lol..Much respect...

Sorry, that wasn't intentional 🙈😅

Thanks though, much respect to you too, I've seen your comments on many a forum post lately and you always seem to speak a lot of sense 👍

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aranhis said:

Sorry, that wasn't intentional 🙈😅

Thanks though, much respect to you too, I've seen your comments on many a forum post lately and you always seem to speak a lot of sense 👍

Thank you, I don't always agree with people and I definitely don't mind speaking my mind, but I try to always do it with respect whether I agree or not...

Posted
7 hours ago, Lady_Char said:

Ok, I get that and I'll sometimes look to see whether there's something i'm not familiar with.
But yep, i'm totally judging the bedsheets 😂
Why is everything always laid out on the duvet though?

Posted
7 hours ago, Matttster said:
I have seen submissives display their tools/toys/etc. as well. I don’t know that anyone has a reason be them D or s.

In part it may be because they saw someone else post a pic and figured it was normal.

Some people are also proud of their collections of paddles, toys, restraints and other goodies.

I was going to say that I actually see it more frequently, but realized it is likely because I have more submissive friends as well as if I am looking at strangers pages.

I'll be honest, i've not seen stypes do it unless i've not been taking that much notice

Posted
7 hours ago, Aranhis said:

Mmmmm now I like this, I'm aware that the quality of my goods covers quite a spectrum (because there's inevitably some gear which was bought when I was still learning and was reluctant to spend, some of it is such trash and I'd never use it yet for some reason I still took pics?? 🤣). But that background thing, I find that very interesting. I remember when I took several of my pics getting sooooooooo frustrated at creases in the duvet 😂 I was recently considering re-shooting most of it, with a more consistently attractive background, clearer angles and perhaps better lighting. Until I realised that I really didn't want to, and if whether somebody was interested in me or not hinged on how pics of some of my kink gear looked, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

But, the best ones are always the ones where the items have been feng shui'd 🤷‍♀️😂😂😂

Posted
I haven't got everything on display.. just a few restraints I made... it was definitely a showing off picture though 😂
Posted
5 hours ago, CopperKnob said:

I'll be honest, i've not seen stypes do it unless i've not been taking that much notice

Aye they certainly do, although I think on reflection that they (generally) tend to more often display of an arrangement of larger collections over a whole bedspread rather than share pics of individual items. Not always though, and cuffs, clamps, dildos and vibrators often show up in my news feed. Oh and butt plugs/tails!! SO MANY BUTT PLUGS!! 😂

5 hours ago, CopperKnob said:

But, the best ones are always the ones where the items have been feng shui'd 🤷‍♀️😂😂😂

I can't be doing with that. I suspect it has something to do with a need to be orderly, that they're trying to project and convey discipline through the photos. Or show how immaculately they care about/take care of such goods, like they are sacred 🤔

Posted
4 hours ago, PJ3000 said:
I haven't got everything on display.. just a few restraints I made... it was definitely a showing off picture though 😂

But that's different, you made them, it's a skill set

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aranhis said:

I can't be doing with that. I suspect it has something to do with a need to be orderly, that they're trying to project and convey discipline through the photos. Or show how immaculately they care about/take care of such goods, like they are sacred 🤔

Isn't there a belt out there somewhere which all Dtypes think is sacred due to it's magical powers? P'haps the same is true for paddles, canes and tawses etc?

Posted
3 minutes ago, CopperKnob said:

Isn't there a belt out there somewhere which all Dtypes think is sacred due to it's magical powers? P'haps the same is true for paddles, canes and tawses etc?

I imagine that there are some who believe in such a thing 😅

However, as Granny Weatherwax (or Glinda 🤔) would tell you, the real magical power is within oneself ALL ALONG!! 🤣🧙‍♀️🧚‍♀️